Author Topic: Sessions hits back at Trump days ahead of Alabama Senate runoff  (Read 4510 times)

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: Sessions hits back at Trump days ahead of Alabama Senate runoff
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2020, 06:39:26 am »
Right_in_Virginia...
I think  you're missing the magnitude of Jeff Sessions' betrayal.

I think indicating what Sessions did with his recusal to be a betrayal and cowardly is sufficiently strong enough.  No need for further qualifiers.  He had just about every Republican wanting to stick pins in him.

Offline DB

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2020, 07:23:11 am »
Sessions was one of Trump's earliest supporters.
He did do a good job on the immigration front, as said earlier.

I do not know whether or not he should have recused himself in the Russia deal or not.
I do not know the law at that level to have an opinion.

Sessions felt he had to.
Trump disagreed.

For what it is worth, and it is not worth much, since I cannot vote in Alabama, I do hope Sessions wins.
Not to foil Trump, but because Sessions is the best conservative in that race, and had proven that in the past.

I doubt Trump would have been elected if Sessions hadn't jumped from Cruz to Trump early on. That was the turning point at TOS.

Trump owes Sessions big time for that - and this was how he was repaid. He couldn't quietly disagree in return for what had been done for him.

Sessions was an early part of Trump's campaign. To demand that he head the investigation of that very same campaign was clearly a conflict of interest that was a bridge too far for a by the book guy. Others should have realized that before appointing him AG.

There are very few survivors of those who hitch their wagon to the Trump administration. There's a long trail of wreckage.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2020, 10:25:58 am »
I think indicating what Sessions did with his recusal to be a betrayal and cowardly is sufficiently strong enough.  No need for further qualifiers.  He had just about every Republican wanting to stick pins in him.

So every single departee from Trump adminsitration that Trump has besmirched is a betrayal?  Got cha.....   :silly:

Hiring and Firing the best.....  Woohooo. 

And BTW, if asked secretly (to avoid Trump wrath and revenge), I'd venture the GOP would prefer sticking their pins in the orange doll instead.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2020, 10:31:36 am »
I doubt Trump would have been elected if Sessions hadn't jumped from Cruz to Trump early on. That was the turning point at TOS.

Trump owes Sessions big time for that - and this was how he was repaid. He couldn't quietly disagree in return for what had been done for him.

Sessions was an early part of Trump's campaign. To demand that he head the investigation of that very same campaign was clearly a conflict of interest that was a bridge too far for a by the book guy. Others should have realized that before appointing him AG.

There are very few survivors of those who hitch their wagon to the Trump administration. There's a long trail of wreckage.

Agree.  More like carnage than wreckage. His blatant narcissistic tinged anger and revenge for those who disagree with him, is a gosh awful trait.    Am hoping for Trump win in November, but my most anticipative date will be January 20, 2025 when we can get him into retirement.

As far as today....  I hope the good citizens of AL elect the more conservative candidate.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2020, 11:03:05 am »
This "betrayal" notion -- people seem to think Sessions owed Trump a duty to protect him from the Russia investigation.  Actually, that wasn't Sessions' job.  I looked for the oath of office an AG would take and this is what I came up with:

An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services, shall take the following oath: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.” This section does not affect other oaths required by law.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3331#:~:text=An%20individual%2C%20except%20the%20President%2C%20elected%20or%20appointed,office%20on%20which%20I%20am%20about%20to%20enter.

I don't see anything in that oath that says Sessions had a duty to Trump, nor am I aware of any other oaths administered to Sessions when he took office.  Whatever his motivations for recusing himself from the Russia investigation -- I believe he did what he thought was right in accordance with that AG oath. 

Well, this election is not up to me or any other nonresident of Alabama.  I just pray the voters pick the one they think will be best for the job, not because one guy has Trump's endorsement and the other doesn't. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2020, 11:36:40 am »
This "betrayal" notion -- people seem to think Sessions owed Trump a duty to protect him from the Russia investigation.  Actually, that wasn't Sessions' job.  I looked for the oath of office an AG would take and this is what I came up with:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3331#:~:text=An%20individual%2C%20except%20the%20President%2C%20elected%20or%20appointed,office%20on%20which%20I%20am%20about%20to%20enter.

I don't see anything in that oath that says Sessions had a duty to Trump, nor am I aware of any other oaths administered to Sessions when he took office.  Whatever his motivations for recusing himself from the Russia investigation -- I believe he did what he thought was right in accordance with that AG oath. 

Well, this election is not up to me or any other nonresident of Alabama.  I just pray the voters pick the one they think will be best for the job, not because one guy has Trump's endorsement and the other doesn't.

Also add the fact, that historically there is an implied "impartiality" trait built into the AG position.  The blindfolded lady with the scales still holds some weight for those who choose.  To me, an AG who wants  to stay above a political fray does not constitute betrayal.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2020, 11:50:35 am »
Also add the fact, that historically there is an implied "impartiality" trait built into the AG position.  The blindfolded lady with the scales still holds some weight for those who choose.  To me, an AG who wants  to stay above a political fray does not constitute betrayal.
So, the AG would have no role is reviewing the case, asking for evidence, verifying that due diligence was followed to ensure the DOJ/FBI was not being politically weaponized to support a coup de ta?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2020, 12:01:52 pm »
So, the AG would have no role is reviewing the case, asking for evidence, verifying that due diligence was followed to ensure the DOJ/FBI was not being politically weaponized to support a coup de ta?

@EdinVA

There ya go,asking those uncomfortable questions again!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2020, 12:03:37 pm »
@EdinVA

9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2020, 12:13:31 pm »

I wasn't there, and neither were you.  Depending on what interaction Trump and Sessions had up that point, the COI needle might have been wobbling up..  If that is the case, any sane person would have recused themselves from that fray.  I sure would have.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2020, 12:16:11 pm »
@EdinVA

Nothing uncomfortable about it.  I'd wager that Sessions prefered a firing rather than a potential COI charge / conviction.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2020, 12:16:41 pm »
I wasn't there, and neither were you.  Depending on what interaction Trump and Sessions had up that point, the COI needle might have been wobbling up..  If that is the case, any sane person would have recused themselves from that fray.  I sure would have.

Your to focused on your Trump hate.... The AG's job is to protect the DOJ and sessions abdicated his job..

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2020, 12:28:49 pm »
Your to focused on your Trump hate.... The AG's job is to protect the DOJ and sessions abdicated his job..

That is not the primary function of the US AG positon.  It is to be the top advocate for the rule of law on the federal level.  Not be a lackey for the DOJ or the POTUS. (if that was the case)

Trump hate?  I'm voting for the guy, and from an objective perspective!!!!  You OTOH seem to be peddling his koolaid.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2020, 12:44:02 pm »
That is not the primary function of the US AG positon.  It is to be the top advocate for the rule of law on the federal level.  Not be a lackey for the DOJ or the POTUS. (if that was the case)

Trump hate?  I'm voting for the guy, and from an objective perspective!!!!  You OTOH seem to be peddling his koolaid.
The position of Attorney General was created by the Judiciary Act of 1789. In June 1870 Congress enacted a law entitled “An Act to Establish the Department of Justice.” This Act established the Attorney General as head of the Department of Justice and gave the Attorney General direction and control of U.S. Attorneys and all other counsel employed on behalf of the United States. The Act also vested in the Attorney General supervisory power over the accounts of U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Marshals.
The mission of the Office of the Attorney General is to supervise and direct the administration and operation of the Department of Justice, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Bureau of Prisons, Office of Justice Programs, and the U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Marshals Service, which are all within the Department of Justice.
The principal duties of the Attorney General are to:

• Represent the United States in legal matters.

• Supervise and direct the administration and operation of the offices, boards, divisions, and bureaus that comprise the Department.

• Furnish advice and opinions, formal and informal, on legal matters to the President and the Cabinet and to the heads of the executive departments and agencies of the government, as provided by law.

• Make recommendations to the President concerning appointments to federal judicial positions and to positions within the Department, including U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Marshals.

• Represent or supervise the representation of the United States Government in the Supreme Court of the United States and all other courts, foreign and domestic, in which the United States is a party or has an interest as may be deemed appropriate.

• Perform or supervise the performance of other duties required by statute or Executive Order.
https://www.justice.gov/jmd/organization-mission-and-functions-manual-attorney-general#:~:text=The%20principal%20duties%20of%20the%20Attorney%20General%20are,boards%2C%20divisions%2C%20and%20bureaus%20that%20comprise%20the%20Department.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2020, 12:59:45 pm »

Okay, if you want to parse literal, like in a job description vs,  overall real life functionality, I guess you win.   

Funny your description was void in the area of ethics accumen.  You know why?  Because throughout history with a few excpetions, POTUS has chosen  people who have exhibited the traits of upholding the rule of law on an equitable basis.  Basically removing themsleves from the fray of political or idelological differences.   Ever notice how Trump demonizes anyone who crosses him?  I bet you were in the forefront calling Cruz "Lyin Ted" back in '16.  That same demonization has applied to Sessions, and sadly many have bought off on it.

I for one refuse to play along his little narcissistic games. 

When Barr finally pisses of Trump, and he gets canned?  His next step should be....

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2020, 01:42:15 pm »
Okay, if you want to parse literal, like in a job description vs,  overall real life functionality, I guess you win.   

Funny your description was void in the area of ethics accumen.  You know why?  Because throughout history with a few excpetions, POTUS has chosen  people who have exhibited the traits of upholding the rule of law on an equitable basis.  Basically removing themsleves from the fray of political or idelological differences.   Ever notice how Trump demonizes anyone who crosses him?  I bet you were in the forefront calling Cruz "Lyin Ted" back in '16.  That same demonization has applied to Sessions, and sadly many have bought off on it.

I for one refuse to play along his little narcissistic games. 

When Barr finally pisses of Trump, and he gets canned?  His next step should be....

Forget Trump... the entire DOJ/FBI lied to the courts, congress and the American people and got away with it largely because sessions abdicated his responsibilities.
Sessions abandoned ship hours after his confirmation.. they did not even have time to finish his name plate for the door of his office.
Sessions appointment was a setup and Trump fell into it...

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2020, 01:56:46 pm »
Forget Trump...

Kind of hard since this is the man hiring this "so called traitor". Remember, he only hires the best (/s)
the entire DOJ/FBI lied to the courts, congress and the American people and got away with it largely because sessions abdicated his responsibilities.

Again, we aren't (weren't) privy to conversations between the two.  And honestly, I have read enough of POTUS Tweets to believe that he is pretty capable of anything that might be a tad off ethically.  If that is the case, do you really blame Sessions from bolting?
Sessions abandoned ship hours after his confirmation.. they did not even have time to finish his name plate for the door of his office.
Sessions appointment was a setup and Trump fell into it...

Now this statment really perplexes me.  A setup?  I thought Trump said he did the interviewing and hiring.  Can't have it both ways.

I just wish good conservatives would stop lock stepping with POTUS everytime someone pisses him off, and he rants off into his demonization routine. It's really gotten old.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:58:02 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2020, 02:06:24 pm »
I just wish good conservatives would stop lock stepping with POTUS everytime someone pisses him off, and he rants off into his demonization routine. It's really gotten old.
Again, we aren't (weren't) privy to conversations between the two.I don't care what they talked about...irrelevant....The doj lied about flynn, the doj lied about page... and on and on...The DOJ lied about the steele dossierThe DOJ lied to get wiretapsThe DOJ lied over and over and over.... and the entire obama administration was neck deep in the coup... and you rationalize it with "I hate trump" because Trump does not trust sessions...  I don't trust sessions... he is a snake...

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2020, 02:09:44 pm »
Off the cuff, I am not a Sessions supporter. His views on civil forfeiture (And that is one of his planks as a politician) are not in line with Conservatism, nor liberty... But he is by and large a Conservative, and a hardball law and order guy (hence his favor with civil forfeiture... He is pro-cop all the way).

If Sessions, as a law and order guy says he needed to recuse, then so be it... And I DO agree with that.

Thanks for the reminder.
Not a fan of the CAF either.
I had forgotten about that.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2020, 02:23:23 pm »
I don't care what they talked about...irrelevant....

WTF?  Irrevelant?  Even if discussions or instruction inferred something  unethical, or potentially unethical?  Do you really believe or endorse that?  Or whether Sessions would want to be an activie particpant of that?

The doj lied about flynn, the doj lied about page... and on and on...[/color]The DOJ lied about the steele dossierThe DOJ lied to get wiretapsThe DOJ lied over and over and over.... and the entire obama administration was neck deep in the coup... and you rationalize it with "I hate trump" because Trump does not trust sessions...  I don't trust sessions... he is a snake...

Now you have gone  into rant mode.  Where did I say I specifially hate Trump.  I don't care for him, or his managment style, but I have said many times I will vote for him. I understand the DOJ corruption, but can also see DJT circumventing due process, twisting Session's arm in making him do things just as sleazy or lawbreaking . Just because you are blind to Trump's naricisstic tendencies of cutting people off at the knees at all cost.  I don't, and think Sessions was smart removing himself from a fight in the pig sty.

Just because your faction  wants to perpetuate memes like Sessions is a Traitor and / or Lyin Ted, doesn't mean the rest of us buy into that philosphy.   

Offline Applewood

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2020, 02:23:36 pm »

What's really funny in all of this is that in the end, Trump was acquitted.  He won.  So the investigation was conducted by someone else -- the result was still favorable.  But Trump and his supporters still can't let go of their butthurt about Sessions' recusal.  I guess they thought he would sweep the matter under the carpet and are still disappointed he bailed, rather than doing what would have been in violation of his oath.  But whatever the reason for his recusal, I think Sessions did what he thought was right.  Only during the Trump presidency would such an honorable person be vilified, rather than admired. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2020, 02:29:11 pm »
What's really funny in all of this is that in the end, Trump was acquitted.  He won.  So the investigation was conducted by someone else -- the result was still favorable.  But Trump and his supporters still can't let go of their butthurt about Sessions' recusal.  I guess they thought he would sweep the matter under the carpet and are still disappointed he bailed, rather than doing what would have been in violation of his oath.  But whatever the reason for his recusal, I think Sessions did what he thought was right.  Only during the Trump presidency would such an honorable person be vilified, rather than admired.

I have been keeping up with politics since Nixon, and I can honestly say that I have never seen such a consensus of negative comments coming from outgoing cabinet level postions, than what we have seen under Trump.  One or two?  Yeah I could infer sour grapes.  But this many?  I think we know the answer. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2020, 02:36:23 pm »
I have been keeping up with politics since Nixon, and I can honestly say that I have never seen such a consensus of negative comments coming from outgoing cabinet level postions, than what we have seen under Trump.  One or two?  Yeah I could infer sour grapes.  But this many?  I think we know the answer.

Kind of one of those known, but not allowed to be spoken.  Enough said.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2020, 02:49:23 pm »

@catfish1957

Jimmy/Saul is far too innocent to survive as the head of the DOJ. It would be the equivalent of making a  12 year old virgin a madam in a Tunisian whore house.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2020, 02:51:49 pm »
@catfish1957

Jimmy/Saul is far too innocent to survive as the head of the DOJ. It would be the equivalent of making a  12 year old virgin a madam in a Tunisian whore house.

:silly: :silly: 

The DOJ....   

The only place that can make Saul Goodman look like Atticus Finch.