Author Topic: What Political Forums do you belong to and recommend? -Slide Rule  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: What Political Forums do you belong to and recommend? -Slide Rule
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 10:53:34 pm »
I'd like Foundation!  I've read the series more than twice.

Same here.  I also read his non-fiction when I was a kid.  Learned a lot about momentum and sub-atomic particles.

I tried Dostoevsky once, but didn't get very far.  My attempt with Tolstoy may be wishful thinking.  My only success with Russian authors has been Rand.

Science fiction-wise, I enjoyed reading Ann Leckie.  I got halfway through a series, but accidently left the book in an airport.  Never bought another copy.

If anyone has good Sci-Fi recommendations, please tell.  I have enjoyed Asimov and Herbert, but really don't know much about the genre.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 11:11:35 pm »
@Smokin Joe  Too bad about Asimov's Humanism.  He turned out to be a bit of a cranky old guy. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 02:00:46 am »
@Smokin Joe  Too bad about Asimov's Humanism.  He turned out to be a bit of a cranky old guy. :shrug:
Yep.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 03:16:35 am »
I apologize for that, @Slide Rule!  I moved it, because "Editorials," where it was originally, is for internet published Editorials.  This is "Original Content," and that usually goes into General Discussion or one of the Exclusive Content Categories.  No offense intended!

No apology is needed. I appreciate your allowing me to vent about another forum. It is a welcome site to see Adults all around. This is a great forum.

I need to know how the forum works and normal operations. I find something most every day.

Thanks,
Al

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online corbe

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 03:22:42 am »
   I love this place @Slide Rule Great group of people and a tolerant Management.
   We have every chapter in the DSM-5 amongst us.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 03:30:04 am »
Always a good read with Heinlein. Personally my favorite book by Tolstoy is Anna Karenina.

I know Asimov’s Foundation and Huxley’s Brave New World are both coming out as made for TV movies shortly.

As for Boswell, best line in his book, “ but he is a very fine cat, a very fine cat indeed” about Hodge.
  8888spinning cat 8888sitting kitty

I haven't read many Russian authors but I have read most of Alexander Solzhenitsyn. The Solzhenitsyn
Reader is by Ericson and Mahoney. I met Mahoney at Hillsdale college and had an extensive conversation
with him. The Reader is a composite of Solzhenitsyn books. Everything Solzhenitsyn is highly recommended. Gulag Archipelago was my first and followed by Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Red Wheel ( my favorite after Gulag), August 1914 and that series, and First Circle was exceptional.

I tried Dostoyevsky but couldn't get into it.

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 03:33:19 am »

What is DSM-5?

Recommended

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 04:37:42 am »
I go to this forum and see other conservative sites through Parler.  If you go to Parler make sure you spell it right. It’s pronounced parlor but spelled Parler.  The parlor site tries to get your phone number.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 05:53:37 am »
Mainly TOS (like one post a year lately) and here.... I have dabbled in a few others but just didn't feel right.... Facebook with political friends... Baptist Christian Forum (BaptistBoard) on rare occasion...  A Bushcraft forum and a P15/D24 forum (old Chrysler car forum). None of which I use my real name (or the same name)... I like a few Music Blogs... which I often share here but not many pay attention cept Smokin and Pookie.

Mainly here for the most part...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:54:44 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 11:20:34 am »
The geniuses at Skunk Works saved our bacon many times. The name works.

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 11:42:47 am »

Mental Disorders like Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition?

Don't tell me you are mostly loons. Perhaps that is why I don't see it. Every chapter represented? Is this book thick? My DuckDuckGo works.

My daughter works at a facility where those convicted of sexual crimes and have completed their sentences go for testing.
They are tested to see if they will be a repeat offender. If so they are kept there. Some will never be released. This is
in Wisconsin and a few other states. I asked her about the tests, but she declines to discuss it.

My daughter is a lefty due to poor parenting on my part but she is doing base conservative work.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:45:00 am by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 01:27:30 pm »

I haven't read many Russian authors but I have read most of Alexander Solzhenitsyn. The Solzhenitsyn
Reader is by Ericson and Mahoney. I met Mahoney at Hillsdale college and had an extensive conversation
with him. The Reader is a composite of Solzhenitsyn books. Everything Solzhenitsyn is highly recommended. Gulag Archipelago was my first and followed by Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Red Wheel ( my favorite after Gulag), August 1914 and that series, and First Circle was exceptional.

You went to Hillsdale?  Back in the day, my Grandmother's house was literally in the shadow of Hillsdale College...a block or so away.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 01:34:15 pm »

I never read Solzhenitsyn but I have read Dostoyevsky. Just his Idiot. Of course it was eons ago back in college.

Now that the libraries are open again, I must get a few books out.

I do own a DSM IV-R but not a 5. I’m at a loss for all the new classifications (like autism and schizophrenia for examples)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 01:47:14 pm »
I never read Solzhenitsyn but I have read Dostoyevsky. Just his Idiot. Of course it was eons ago back in college.

I do own a DSM IV-R but not a 5. I’m at a loss for all the new classifications (like autism and schizophrenia for examples)

My local library is open, but patrons are not allowed to touch any books.  Go figure.   9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 05:16:46 pm »
You went to Hillsdale?  Back in the day, my Grandmother's house was literally in the shadow of Hillsdale College...a block or so away.

Not as a student but to learn. They have seminars and I attended several with my departed friend Stan Marvin. I met Stan
at a health club. Turns out we both worked for the same company. He introduced me to many things conservative. I shall forever
remain indebted to him.

He took me to a dinner at Hillsdale. We sat at the head table. George Gilder, his wife and I believe his young son. I had never heard of Gilder. He spoke about Wealth and Poverty. Exceptional. I would never go to Hillsdale without reading something they had written.  A couple of years later Stan invited me to a week long seminar on The Cold War. Outstanding
people. And despite the magnitude of reading before I went, it was worth it. I spoke with M Stanton Evans almost every
evening. A fascinating guy.

Stan Marvin was a special guy, and by profession an accountant. His wife had taken a degree in Chemistry from Hillsdale.
Stan was wealthy but lived very modestly. His wealth came from an inherited farm. We drove by it on the trip there.

Stan gave everything to Hillsdale when he passed. I estimate about a million. In the meantime he gave a young woman a scholarship. Stan had no children.

I sat in on classes there, spoke with professors at length. It is a exceptional institution and if there is anyone in your
family nearing college age, I highly recommend it.

Hillsdale has speakers in typically on Friday and students are required to attend and participate. The students there will
impact the US and the world.

I took trips there with Stan about 8 times or so. Stan would light up with enthusiasm every time.

They also have a monthly subscription that highlights speakers and published in Imprimus. Free for the asking.

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 05:26:06 pm »

Solzhenitsyn is a good place to start. I found in the second volume of Gulag it hard to read. They were talking about
their favorite methods of torture. Hard sledding for me.

He wrote while in the Gulag without benefit of any writing or recording means. He wrote in his mind and then one week
a month he burnt it into memory with the aid of something similar of rosary beads, but his were base 10. After his 20
year release he said something extraordinary. The release was much like the arrest. Released prisoners needed a
government permit to work and to get a permit one needed a job. He was a skilled brick layer and electrician. Trades
he learned while confined as prison labor.

His writings halted the soviet government.

Recommended

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2020, 05:34:56 pm »
We sat at the head table. George Gilder, his wife and I believe his young son. I had never heard of Gilder. He spoke about Wealth and Poverty. Exceptional.

He also wrote a book about it.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 05:37:56 pm »

I'm still pissed off that they got rid of ADD.  Now, it's all ADHD.  Without the hyperactivity, I have been discontinued.

(Or maybe ADD is now supernormal instead of abnormal)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 05:39:43 pm »
I also read most of Franz Kafka. In one passage he said of the managers that they were so hard working
that they even worked through the night. A hidden reference to what they actually did. Torture.

I read the unfinished The Castle.

There is a collection of his works in a single book.
I recall The Trial, Metamorpsis, and Amerika.

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2020, 01:57:46 am »
He also wrote a book about it.

There is an earlier version about 1960 and more recent. It is a very good read and excellent
discussion of the how and why. He has written on a wide variety, but Wealth and Poverty
is his best work.

Amazing to discover such a vision while you are talking to the man. I never let that happen
again. Not knowing at least one publication of the speakers.
Al

Recommended

Online corbe

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2020, 02:14:15 am »
   TBR once had a great BOOK TREAD and perhaps still does, I've just since lost it, But spent many an hour in there and my Library is filled with Briefers recommendations, particularly @Bigun and his Constitutional Heart, quite a few others too.  I thank you all.   
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2020, 02:20:28 am »
   TBR once had a great BOOK TREAD and perhaps still does, I've just since lost it, But spent many an hour in there and my Library is filled with Briefers recommendations, particularly @Bigun and his Constitutional Heart, quite a few others too.  I thank you all.   

Bigun has excellent posts.

Recommended

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 05:25:47 am »

Mental Disorders like Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition?

Don't tell me you are mostly loons. Perhaps that is why I don't see it. Every chapter represented? Is this book thick? My DuckDuckGo works.

My daughter works at a facility where those convicted of sexual crimes and have completed their sentences go for testing.
They are tested to see if they will be a repeat offender. If so they are kept there. Some will never be released. This is
in Wisconsin and a few other states. I asked her about the tests, but she declines to discuss it.

My daughter is a lefty due to poor parenting on my part but she is doing base conservative work.
Give her time, she'll come around.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 12:33:08 pm »
Give her time, she'll come around.

I am, but the wait is painful. I once said something to her very direct. She quit talking to me.
It was years. Finally I called her, I had busted my elbow and they were going to reconstruct it.
I was leaving her a final message. She picked up the call and having me as her dad.

She was the goalie on a state champion field hockey team. There are no divisions and
her school had 80 girls. She had 20 some offers for college but declined.

She told me that she had something that her friends did not have. No college debt.
I raised her like I would a son. She is bright, tough, an outstanding listener and speaker.
Her math tested at 99.9 while mine is 99.8.

Her salary is exceptional but alas matched by their spending.

Recommended

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 12:43:33 pm »

I am, but the wait is painful. I once said something to her very direct. She quit talking to me.
It was years. Finally I called her, I had busted my elbow and they were going to reconstruct it.
I was leaving her a final message. She picked up the call and having me as her dad.

She was the goalie on a state champion field hockey team. There are no divisions and
her school had 80 girls. She had 20 some offers for college but declined.

She told me that she had something that her friends did not have. No college debt.
I raised her like I would a son. She is bright, tough, an outstanding listener and speaker.
Her math tested at 99.9 while mine is 99.8.

Her salary is exceptional but alas matched by their spending.

I figure you've probably figured all this  out, but...
Keep the door open. Avoid what arguments you can (an amazing percentage), but note, if you must that "well, let's just agree to disagree about that." and take it no further.
Let her question her own beliefs, and come around in her own time.
That way she'll know why she believes what she believes, and may change her own mind when she sees holes in it, rather than be defensive and not see at all. 
I have been in a similar spot and know the pain of waiting as well.
But I have also placed her in the Hands of Almighty God, and he's done pretty well.

C S Lewis