Author Topic: Wearing a mask cuts own risk of novel coronavirus by 65 percent, experts say  (Read 3375 times)

Offline libertybele

Yet another conflicting piece of research!  First don't wear masks, then wear masks,  then masks don't protect wearer and now masks protect wearer :shrug:

Wearing a mask cuts own risk of novel coronavirus by 65 percent, experts say

A range of new research now suggests that masks also protect the wearer

Health experts have stressed the importance of wearing a mask to limit the possibility of infecting others with COVID-19, but a range of new research now suggests they also protect the wearer, according to a report Monday.

With many states implementing policies to make face coverings mandatory in both indoor and outdoor spaces, one doctor says that masks also reduce the risk of infection to the wearer by 65 percent.

"We've learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence and now we know [that] not only wearing a mask prevents the person wearing the mask to transmit to others, but wearing the mask protects the person who's wearing it," said Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children’s Hospital.

"So the wearer of the mask, even the standard rectangular surgical masks ... will decrease the risk of infection by the person wearing the mask by about 65 percent."

He added that N95 masks do an even better job at protecting people from the virus, but they are in short supply and are needed for healthcare professionals.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/wearing-mask-cuts-own-risk-novel-coronavirus-65-percent-experts-say
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion @libertybele, Stop listening to all the BS and use your own perfectly functioning brain to sort out the facts and decide for yourself.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
My theory has always been science is not driving the mask/nomask discussion. It's product availability.  In the beginning (February) there were nowhere near enough masks available to try to force the general population to wear them, and that changed, not because of new revelations about the utility of masks, but because mask inventories had been ramped up.

Now that there are plenty of masks, the government masters are free to demand 100% compliance.  And so we see people like the Governor of Texas, not known for obeisance, mandating the wearing of masks.  For all his good works and atta-boys, Abbot will be remembered for this cowardly cave-in, and that's too bad for him.  There's a rule in the corporate world:  One "Aw-shit" cancels all previous "Atta-boys." 

After paying the price for standing up to the left-bleep, Abbot will now pay a price for capitulating and his "friends list" collapses.  This will be the highest office Abbot will ever hold...a career-ender.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:22:38 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
My theory has always been science is not driving the mask/nomask discussion. It's product availability.  In the beginning (February) there were nowhere near enough masks available to try to force the general population to wear them, and that changed, not because of new revelations about the utility of masks, but because mask inventories had been ramped up.

Now that there are plenty of masks, the government masters are free to demand 100% compliance.  And so we see people like the Governor of Texas, not known for obeisance, mandating the wearing of masks.  For all his good works and atta-boys, Abbot will be remembered for this cowardly cave-in, and that's too bad for him.  There's a rule in the corporate world:  One "Aw-shit" cancels all previous "Atta-boys." 

After paying the price for standing up to the left-bleep, Abbot will now pay a price for capitulating and his "friends list" collapses.  This will be the highest office Abbot will ever hold...a career-ender.

:yowsa:  pointing-up

And he knows it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
:yowsa:  pointing-up

And he knows it!

I just hope that now he's mortally damaged (and knows it), he doesn't cave to the Rats on anything from now until the next Governor.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I just hope that now he's mortally damaged (and knows it), he doesn't cave to the Rats on anything from now until the next Governor.

Unfortunately, he already is doing that.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signals support as Austin weighs fines for people not wearing face masks

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Unfortunately, he already is doing that.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signals support as Austin weighs fines for people not wearing face masks

Dang, when they fold like a cheap suit, they go full-scale John Roberts level caving-in to do it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DB

A lot has been done during every crisis "to do something".

It has never really matter if what was being done actually did anything useful or even made things worse.

"Doing something" was the cause into itself to show leadership and that "we care" and that "we are in control".

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

It has never really matter if what was being done actually did anything useful or even made things worse.

"Doing something" was the cause into itself to show leadership and that "we care" and that "we are in control".

:yowsa: pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion @libertybele, Stop listening to all the BS and use your own perfectly functioning brain to sort out the facts and decide for yourself.

My perfectly functioning brain tells me if there is even the slightest chance that a mask helps I have no problem wearing one.  Do I trust any supposed "research", from the CDC, the WHO, Fauci and others?  Absolutely not.  Doctors, nurses and medical personnel are wearing masks -- you can't get into many places without one -- so, I wear one and have been wearing one for months.  I've had antiviral masks on hand for years -- so I'm using them.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

Quote from: the Article
"We've learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence and now we know [that] ...

We've learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence and now we know [that] wrapping yourself in salami and walking around with a banana in your butt prevents infection entirely. According to our data no one thus equipped has been infected to this date.

*****rollingeyes*****

Ex-spurts.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
"experts" *snort*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
My perfectly functioning brain tells me if there is even the slightest chance that a mask helps I have no problem wearing one.  Do I trust any supposed "research", from the CDC, the WHO, Fauci and others?  Absolutely not.  Doctors, nurses and medical personnel are wearing masks -- you can't get into many places without one -- so, I wear one and have been wearing one for months.  I've had antiviral masks on hand for years -- so I'm using them.

I'm good with that @libertybele.  I've decided that I'm not going to wear one because I think them to be completely useless but I'm ok with you taking a different tact.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"experts" *snort*

X = quality or quantity unknown.

Spurt = a drip under pressure.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

That's right. And to a degree, that's fair...
Emergency happens and there is no solution, throw everything you have at the wall and see what sticks... But fairly early on, logic must begin to dictate. That is not happening here.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I'm OK with that, too, @libertybele.  As in other aspects of life, I apply a risk analysis to the question of whether or not to wear a mask.  While there may be a molecule of benefit from wearing one, it's not 100% risk-free, especially for people who have some trouble breathing.  Each of us must make that calculation for ourselves, and most choose to just limit face-to-face contact as much as possible, by using things like curbside pickup, direct delivery and telemedicine.  Then the mask question is moot.

Being considerate, most of us will keep a mask handy and don it if we are asked nicely by somebody who decided their risk differently, or if it's necessary to go into a store or office to conduct necessary business.  I have a "Trump 2020" mask for such exigent circumstances, just to piss them off.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:55:55 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That's right. And to a degree, that's fair...
Emergency happens and there is no solution, throw everything you have at the wall and see what sticks... But fairly early on, logic must begin to dictate. That is not happening here.

I disagree, just a little:  There IS logic dictating here, but it's not what we're being told.  Above I mentioned it was probably the availability of masks that caused them to flip-flop, not the understanding of how well/poorly they perform as advertised.  The efficacy of the action is not even in the bureaucratic decision making process. 

This same logic was being applied by the Governors of Michigan and Nevada when they tried to outlaw the use of HCQ with Zinc and Z-Paks.  It wasn't because it was thought to be harmful, it was because they didn't want a run on the supplies of HCQ before carving out the share for themselves and the State-run health systems.

It's like the run on toilet paper, minus the laffs.
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

I'm OK with that, too, @libertybele.  As in other aspects of life, I apply a risk analysis to the question of whether or not to wear a mask.  While there may be a molecule of benefit from wearing one, it's not 100&% risk-free, especially for people who have some trouble breathing.  Each of us must make that calculation for ourselves, and most choose to just limit face-to-face contact as much as possible, by using things like curbside pickup, direct delivery and telemedicine.  Then the mask question is moot.

Being considerate, most of us will keep a mask handy and don it if we are asked nicely by somebody who decided their risk differently, or if it's necessary to go into a store or office to conduct necessary business. I have a "Trump 2020" mask for such exigent circumstances, just to piss them off.

888high58888  I woke up this morning and opened the blinds and noticed that our new neighbors across the street put up a large Trump 2020 flag in his yard.  They'll fit into the neighborhood quite nicely.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

Being considerate, most of us will keep a mask handy and don it if we are asked nicely [...]

I don't consider that 'being considerate'. I consider that to be exactly the same as being asked nicely to wear a 'black lives matter' hat. I consider it rude, and an intrusion. Protect yourself, fine. Leave me the hell alone. If you don't like it, you are perfectly welcome to 'social distance' yourself.  *****rollingeyes*****

Nobody is making you stand by me.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Thus far I have twice been asked by local businesses to wear a mask. In both instances, I politely declined and informed them that I would do my shopping elsewhere. 

I support their right to require them.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

I disagree, just a little:  There IS logic dictating here, but it's not what we're being told.  Above I mentioned it was probably the availability of masks that caused them to flip-flop, not the understanding of how well/poorly they perform as advertised.  The efficacy of the action is not even in the bureaucratic decision making process. 

This same logic was being applied by the Governors of Michigan and Nevada when they tried to outlaw the use of HCQ with Zinc and Z-Paks.  It wasn't because it was thought to be harmful, it was because they didn't want a run on the supplies of HCQ before carving out the share for themselves and the State-run health systems.

It's like the run on toilet paper, minus the laffs.

Nah. Then why the moves to outlaw HCQ and penalize doctors for prescribing it off-standard? There was never a shortage of HCQ, and it is the easiest and cheapest and quickest to manufacture.

This is nothing but a giant political game of 'hide the sausage' tied to a gargantuan political, grant, and civil monetary pinata.

And in the mean time, the virus does what a virus does... Not a damn thing is stopping it.

Offline roamer_1

Thus far I have twice been asked by local businesses to wear a mask. In both instances, I politely declined and informed them that I would do my shopping elsewhere. 

I support their right to require them.

That's fine. me too... Never to return, if I can help it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

888high58888  I woke up this morning and opened the blinds and noticed that our new neighbors across the street put up a large Trump 2020 flag in his yard.  They'll fit into the neighborhood quite nicely.  happy77

I'm seeing a lot of that in my neighborhood too, along with a healthy number of Gadsden "Don't Tread On Me" flags (I have two, one of them says "Don't F*** With Me.").  We sell a lot of them at the GOP HQ.  We just beefed up our Trump inventory, it's selling like hotcakes.  And yeah, we sell the masks....lol.
I will NOT comply.