Author Topic: The Marlin 336: One of 2019's Most-Popular Lever Guns  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Marlin 336: One of 2019's Most-Popular Lever Guns
« on: July 09, 2020, 12:44:43 am »
American Rifleman

by Guy J. Sagi - Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Marlin 336 was introduced to enthusiasts in 1948, although the overall design was a familiar one with lever-action fans. It’s a direct descendant of the company’s Model 1893, which went out of production in 1936 after more than 40 years.

Unlike its predecessor, though, its breech bolt is rounded and stronger, and the mainspring and trigger springs are coil instead of flat. The gun has a variety of other improved features that, cumulatively, continue to make it a perennial contender for the title of best-selling lever-action rifle to this day. In fact, last year it was the third-most-popular in that category among retailers using the services of GunBroker.com.

Side ejection gives the rifle a decidedly modern advantage over most other lever-actions—optics can be mounted. The 336 Dark model even comes with a rail atop the receiver to make the process fast and easy and another version even ships from the factory with a 3-9x32 mm riflescope already mounted and bore sighted.

---There are 10 models from which to choose and MSRPs run from $693.67 to $1,059.94.

More: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/7/7/the-marlin-336-one-of-2019s-most-popular-lever-guns/

The first rifle I ever bought was the Glenfield 30 an economy model of the Marlin 336 for all of $58 at Fedmart

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: The Marlin 336: One of 2019's Most-Popular Lever Guns
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:50:04 am »
As a gun novice why would I pick a lever action over a semi-automatic that loads itself. Does the lever action do a better job of perhaps stopping jams over the other?

@Elderberry
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 01:07:24 am »
I own a 1960's (pre cross-bolt safety) 336 in 30-30 caliber and of all my rifles, that one is responsible for more meat on the table than all the others put together.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 01:14:50 am »
As a gun novice why would I pick a lever action over a semi-automatic that loads itself. Does the lever action do a better job of perhaps stopping jams over the other?

@Elderberry

@Sighlass

It all depends on the purpose of the rifle.  I am late to the semii-automatics. I started out with lever, bolt action, and pump guns. My first rifle was the lever action Ithaca model 49 .22 single shot. My second was the Glenfield 30  in 30-30 Win. I then went thru several bolt actions; Rem 521 Sportsmaster .22, Rem 700 in .243, Mauser 98, Mauser 95, Mauser 93, another lever the Marlin 1895 in 45-90. A pump Rem 760 and a couple of Pump Shotguns.

My only semi--autos were a Ruger .22 that I gave away cause it was too inaccurate to please me, a M1Carbine, 2 M1 Garands, and a MAS 49/56. Now recently I've built 2 ARs. One in 6.5 Grendel and one a Wildcat, the 358Yeti.

I am very fond of the lever rifles for hunting. I never scope a lever gun. They are balanced to carry single handed with your hand wrapped around the middle of the receiver. You can't carry them that way with a scope on them. 

As for reliability, I believe the bolt actions are most reliable, followed by the lever actions. I don't know how it falls between the pumps and semi-autos.  I do know that my M1-Garands are very reliable. And not well known, My MAS 49/56 is known for reliability, and I'm very pleased with its accuracy. Note, it is Not one of the Century Arms .308 Conversions.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:18:54 am »
I own a 1960's (pre cross-bolt safety) 336 in 30-30 caliber and of all my rifles, that one is responsible for more meat on the table than all the others put together.

All of my lever guns have only had a half cock notch for a safety. Same for my revolvers. My 45-70 Marlin 1895 has brought back an incredible amount of game back to camp.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:05:44 pm »

@Elderberry

@Sighlass it gets around the "scary black rifle" meme the left likes to push and skirts the unconstitutional laws passed by some states/counties/cities regulating AR patterned rifles.

The left sees an AR and thinks "killing machine"...they see a 6+1 capacity .30 caliber wood and steel rifle and think "Oh that's my grandpa's deer rifle".
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »
All of my lever guns have only had a half cock notch for a safety. Same for my revolvers. My 45-70 Marlin 1895 has brought back an incredible amount of game back to camp.

Thanks to movies Jurassic World and Wind River the 45-70 has enjoyed sudden popularity. Awesome weapon.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 08:21:02 pm »
So I was going to do a separate post about finally taking the plunge and getting my lever gun but since this one is already here...and I got a marlin to boot...I won't reinvent the wheel.

Believe it or not just before Father's day my better half said "want to go rifle shopping"?  Before she changed her mind I jumped at the chance and we went searching for my new lever gun.

Didn't realize how hard of a task it was going to be...especially in a town the size of Colorado Springs.  But boy was it.  It was partially my fault because I was looking for a specific rifle.  Part of it was supply

The BX on Peterson AFB had Henry's in .45-70 govt. but no 30-30's of any kind.  Same with the PX at Carson and the 2 of the three gun stores we hit in town.

One store had a 30-30...but it was a used Winchester Model 94.  It was in great condition, but I didn't want the top eject.  Located a brand new Marlin 336 at Was Mart for almost $500.  We decided to keep on looking.

Finally we make a run up to Denver to Cabela's and after first telling me they were out of 30-30's, the guy at the gun counter said "I think we got a used one in today let me go check".

Lo and behold he comes back with a marlin lever gun.  But the tag says 30AS not 336.  The price was right we told him we'd take it and after waiting 6 days due to Colorado's "enhanced" background checks" I brought home my 30-30 lever gun.

After doing some research I found out that what I had was indeed a Marlin 336, but it was the model they made for stores like Sears, Montgomery Wards K Mart etc to sell in their stores.

People on the marlin boards love the gun and say that it's action is actually smoother and it shoots straighter than a 336 branded rifle.  So far I've found that to be spot on.

It's a 1991 model, the action is butter smooth and the sights seem to be dialed in.  Recoil is comparable (to me) is about that of an M-4.

I totally love this rifle and it has turned out to be everything I had hoped it would be.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 08:24:52 pm »
Thanks to movies Jurassic World and Wind River the 45-70 has enjoyed sudden popularity. Awesome weapon.

Marlin even plays into this on their website.  For their 1895 SBL .45-70 (Chris Pratt's rifle in JW) there are silhouettes of each type of animal that rifle is capable of bringing down...to include a T Rex.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 08:30:46 pm »
Believe it or not just before Father's day my better half said "want to go rifle shopping"?  Before she changed her mind I jumped at the chance and we went searching for my new lever gun.

You better marry that woman... sommore...

after waiting 6 days [...]

6 DAYS? Heck you could drive to Kansas, Wyoming, or Utah and be back in two...  :whistle:

I just say, "Gimme that gun right there..." Pay him and walk out...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 08:35:22 pm »
You better marry that woman... sommore...

I do every chance I get.

6 DAYS? Heck you could drive to Kansas, Wyoming, or Utah and be back in two...  :whistle:

I just say, "Gimme that gun right there..." Pay him and walk out...

I could have gone to my favorite LGS in Louisville showed them my CCDW card paid for the rifle and been back to Colorado.

That's actually "fast" compared to what it was in the early days of the pandemic.  At one point in Colorado it was up to 18 days to wait for approval.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 08:40:40 pm »

Yeah, less jams... But different application... Lever guns are generally brush guns... slower velocity doesn't deflect in brush... Generally shorter range (<100yds)... Only semiautos used up in here tend to be varmint guns.... coyotes and such... Proper long range gun is usually scoped with a bolt action (which is the most reliable against jams).

Only semiauto I have is a 22 for plinking gophers and squirrels.  :shrug:

If novice is for real, start in a 22 bolt and learn... When you can bark a squirrel, you can have better... Or that's what my old man told me...  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 08:44:15 pm »
I do every chance I get.

I could have gone to my favorite LGS in Louisville showed them my CCDW card paid for the rifle and been back to Colorado.

That's actually "fast" compared to what it was in the early days of the pandemic.  At one point in Colorado it was up to 18 days to wait for approval.

I hardly ever mess with that. I am far more likely to do a private sale and skip all that nonsense. And besides, what Uncle don't know... I think one of my big guns is registered, and my last lever gun was bought new... That's it. The rest are probably non-existent. Or something.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 08:50:08 pm »
I hardly ever mess with that. I am far more likely to do a private sale and skip all that nonsense. And besides, what Uncle don't know... I think one of my big guns is registered, and my last lever gun was bought new... That's it. The rest are probably non-existent. Or something.

I should have gone that route...but wasn't really able to when I got back from Germany and really started getting serious about my gun purchases.  Might have to modify my purchasing habits in the future.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 08:53:21 pm »
I'm really not all that comfortable talking about things I might own on the web these days.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 03:51:50 am »
So I was going to do a separate post about finally taking the plunge and getting my lever gun but since this one is already here...and I got a marlin to boot...I won't reinvent the wheel.

Didn't realize how hard of a task it was going to be...especially in a town the size of Colorado Springs.  But boy was it.  It was partially my fault because I was looking for a specific rifle.  Part of it was supply

The BX on Peterson AFB had Henry's in .45-70 govt. but no 30-30's of any kind.  Same with the PX at Carson and the 2 of the three gun stores we hit in town.

One store had a 30-30...but it was a used Winchester Model 94.  It was in great condition, but I didn't want the top eject.  Located a brand new Marlin 336 at Was Mart for almost $500.  We decided to keep on looking.

Finally we make a run up to Denver to Cabela's and after first telling me they were out of 30-30's, the guy at the gun counter said "I think we got a used one in today let me go check".

Lo and behold he comes back with a marlin lever gun.  But the tag says 30AS not 336.  The price was right we told him we'd take it and after waiting 6 days due to Colorado's "enhanced" background checks" I brought home my 30-30 lever gun.

After doing some research I found out that what I had was indeed a Marlin 336, but it was the model they made for stores like Sears, Montgomery Wards K Mart etc to sell in their stores.

People on the marlin boards love the gun and say that it's action is actually smoother and it shoots straighter than a 336 branded rifle.  So far I've found that to be spot on.

It's a 1991 model, the action is butter smooth and the sights seem to be dialed in.  Recoil is comparable (to me) is about that of an M-4.

I totally love this rifle and it has turned out to be everything I had hoped it would be.

Great share Tex....

Was cleaning guns the other day and ran across one of the wife's guns I never really paid much attention to... It was some off brand that I didn't get a hit on with a google search years ago, but seems the internet has grown and this time I did.

It was a Ruby 38 Special.... and a little digging it was Llama-Gabilondo gun and basically was just a revolver modeled off the most popular American Smith & Wesson's Model 10. It was in great shape except for one small screw that broke the head off (not needed).

It had simpler take down than the S&W (less complicated guts).... I like it. @txradioguy
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 05:11:04 am »
American Rifleman

by Guy J. Sagi - Tuesday, July 7, 2020

---There are 10 models from which to choose and MSRPs run from $693.67 to $1,059.94.

@Elderberry

YIKES! I remember thinking about buying one when they were around $300 retail,new. In the standard calibers like 30/30,of course. They were one HELL of a bargain compared to the Winchester 94's.

I think for that kind of money I would go for a Savage 99 in 300 Savage or 308,though.

Of course,if you want a lever gun in 44 Magnum,45 Long Colt,444 Marlin,or 45/70,Marlin is the only way to go.

@
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 05:14:57 am »

@Elderberry

@Sighlass

I would say in general that a lever rifle is safer for a novice shooter than a semi-auto,as well as more reliable and less prone to jamming.

Plus,you just don't have the natural instinct to just blast away in the general direction of what you want to kill with a lever rifle,like you do with a autoloader.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 05:18:30 am »

@Bigun

Most likely that is because it is the one most comfortable to carry,so you just naturally reach for it when you need a rifle.

Speaking as a former gunsmith,you just never see them coming in for repairs unless it is for something like fitting a new buttstock because the owner managed to break the old one by accident.  The 336's just don't break or wear out if properly maintained.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 05:25:38 am »
@Sighlass

I do know that my M1-Garands are very reliable.

@Elderberry

They are also generally very accurate if it is an arsenal rebuild.

And not well known, My MAS 49/56 is known for reliability, and I'm very pleased with its accuracy. Note, it is Not one of the Century Arms .308 Conversions.

Just out of curiosity,if you wanted a rifle like that in main battle caliber,why didn't you just buy a metric FN-FAL in .308?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 05:29:02 am »

@Elderberry

The 45/70 Marlin would be my choice in bear country,but the recoil  can be brutal.

There is a lot to be said for the reliability of a lever gun when a bear is charging at you. Not quite as useful as a helicopter,but maybe the next best thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 05:41:55 am »

@txradioguy

That's a damn shame. Colorado used to be such a FINE place to live in,too. That's where I went to gunsmith school. The one I went to is in Denver,not the one in Colorado Springs.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 12:31:45 pm »

Speaking as a former gunsmith,you just never see them coming in for repairs unless it is for something like fitting a new buttstock because the owner managed to break the old one by accident.  The 336's just don't break or wear out if properly maintained.

@sneakypete

My 1895 Marlin was owned by several hunters before I picked it up from an ole elementary school classmate. It had developed the "Dreaded Marlin Jam" before I got it. I hunted with it quite a while before I researched a solution and fixed it.

https://www.ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm

Fixing the Dreaded Marlin Jam by Rusty Marlin

The Problem
The "Marlin Jam" as it is affectionately known is caused by an inherent design/manufacturing flaw of the Marlin lever. The lever has a snail shaped cam surface that goes around the pivot screw. This snail shaped cam rides on a sloped surface on the bottom of the carrier and raises the carrier enough to allow the first incoming shell into the carrier and to block the next incoming round from jamming up the works. Every time the lever is cycled the carrier bounces on the forward edge of the cam. The forward most edge of this cam is left sharp at the factory (the flaw).

The bouncing forges a notch into the bottom of the carriers' slide surface and over time (high number of cycles) lowers the carriers' initial pick-up height allowing the rim of the next incoming shell to slip over the front and jam it up tight. Note the notch labeled 'A' and marked with an arrow in the photo.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 12:43:02 pm »

Just out of curiosity, if you wanted a rifle like that in main battle caliber,why didn't you just buy a metric FN-FAL in .308?

@sneakypete

I was actually looking for a FN49 when I stumbled upon the MAS49/56. I had never heard of it and the price around $200, so I snatched it up.

My son has  a FAL  and a SCAR-H, both in .308, among others, that I get to shoot.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 03:12:44 pm »
@sneakypete

I was actually looking for a FN49 when I stumbled upon the MAS49/56. I had never heard of it and the price around $200, so I snatched it up.

My son has  a FAL  and a SCAR-H, both in .308, among others, that I get to shoot.

@Elderberry

Yeah,anytime you can buy a quality main battle rifle in good condition for 200 bucks,you need to snap it up. Chances of buying a good metric FL-FAL for 200 bucks are roughly the same as winning the lottery.

BTW,what is a SCAR-H? Been out of the biz for a couple of decades now,and never heard of it.