Author Topic: Houston mayor cancels in-person GOP convention  (Read 680 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Houston mayor cancels in-person GOP convention
« on: July 08, 2020, 09:15:01 pm »
Houston mayor cancels in-person GOP convention

HOUSTON, Texas -- Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner announced on Wednesday that the city has canceled its contract with the GOP convention, which was scheduled at the George R. Brown Convention Center on July 16.

Turner said the contract cancellation will mean that the convention cannot be held at the George R. Brown Convention Center or any other facility in Houston, but may continue virtually...

Excerpted from: https://abc13.com/houston-gop-convention-mayor-looks-to-cancel-repubican-turner/6307042/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Houston mayor cancels in-person GOP convention
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:16:15 pm »
He rambles false points and inferences. Talking about “the poor maids” working the hotels, the food service workers, etc. So are the hotels closed? Are these hotel maids ONLY coming to work, JUST for the convention? If he “cared about the maids”, then wouldn’t ALL hotels be shut down? His reasons and associated examples are absurd. He was trying to say how the Floyd protest/marches and this are “different”. Yeah..it’s different alright. Being coy by saying they can’t stop people in public from marching. But HEEEE and the lunatic Chief Avecado BOTH went arm and arm and personally marched in it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 09:17:01 pm »
Venue warfare?  Two can play that game numbnuts. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:17:59 pm »
He rambles false points and inferences. Talking about “the poor maids” working the hotels, the food service workers, etc. So are the hotels closed? Are these hotel maids ONLY coming to work, JUST for the convention? If he “cared about the maids”, then wouldn’t ALL hotels be shut down? His reasons and associated examples are absurd. He was trying to say how the Floyd protest/marches and this are “different”. Yeah..it’s different alright. Being coy by saying they can’t stop people in public from marching. But HEEEE and the lunatic Chief Avecado BOTH went arm and arm and personally marched in it!

GOP needs to put a full page ad in the Chronicle telling the business owners in the area what it cost them. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:44:28 pm »
Lessons learned:

If one deals with the enemy, one will get hit by the enemy.

Only deal with friendlier people who will not subterfuge you
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 01:24:10 pm »
@mystery-ak

I watched the Republican State Chairman, James Dickey, on two ZOOM messages yesterday as he described what he is going to do about the Houston Mayor shutting down the convention in Houston. 

1.  He has party lawyers dealing with the situation - what they can do legally to reverse the mayor's decision.  The problem is the convention is next Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  The top leaders get there next Monday to get things together before Thursday.

2.  The main hotel is a Marriott.  There is a large enclosed sort of above the ground tunnel from that hotel into the convention center.  That was not there the times I went there for other Republican state conventions.  I will look that up to see what that looks like for my own information.

3.  There will be food carts in the convention center, plus there are two restaurants in the center where people can pick up food to eat in the center.  There is no reason for anyone to leave the center as what they need is all there.

4.  The convention will be 6,000 people in a convention center large enough for many thousands.  Spacing can be done.  EMT's will be inside in case someone needs them. 

5.  There will be security people inside and the Houston police will be outside.  I don't remember if Houston police will be inside but security people of some sort will be inside.

6.  The other thing Chairman Dickey has done is not having any celebration type events - he is sticking with getting the business done and be out of there by noon Saturday.  Party business Thursday, Friday, and gone by noon Saturday.  The people are going to be worn out by Saturday as he has two main business events that last for hours on Thursday, two more on Friday, and wrap it up by noon Saturday.

7.  If they cannot go to the convention center, there are plans in place for virtual business meetings.

8.  The county judge of Montgomery county, where I have a house, has invited Dickey to have the convention in Montgomery county.  This county is almost 100% Republican, no Dem in any office there.  The 6,000 could still stay in the Marriott in Houston and drive 30 miles each day, for three days, to Montgomery County to have their meetings.

This is the situation right now - I will keep on top of this as things change.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:28:39 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 01:32:59 pm »
@mystery-ak

I watched the Republican State Chairman, James Dickey, on two ZOOM messages yesterday as he described what he is going to do about the Houston Mayor shutting down the convention in Houston. 
This is the situation right now - I will keep on top of this as things change.

888high58888
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 03:06:57 am »
GOP needs to put a full page ad in the Chronicle telling the business owners in the area what it cost them.

Do you believe that Communist Rag called the Chronicle would run the ad?? I'm sceptical.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 05:17:52 am »
Do you believe that Communist Rag called the Chronicle would run the ad?? I'm sceptical.

They'd sell their sister  for an extra 50,000 circulation.  So for the revenues for a single large on page ad?  I'd venture yes.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 10:46:38 pm »
Texas GOP to vote on moving convention online after legal defeat at Supreme Court

Houston Chronicle by  Jasper Scherer July 13, 2020

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Texas-Supreme-Court-rejects-GOP-appeal-convention-15404217.php

The Texas Republican Party is set to move its convention online after the state Supreme Court rejected its appeal of Mayor Sylvester Turner’s move to cancel the in-person event planned for downtown Houston this week.

After the high court on Monday rejected the Texas GOP’s appeal of a lower court decision, along with a subsequent local defeat hours later, Republican Party Chair James Dickey announced the party’s executive committee would convene Monday evening to vote on taking the convention online.

Regardless of the committee vote outcome, however, party officials made clear they would not seek to hold the event at the George R. Brown Convention as originally intended.

“The facility is no longer available due to the rulings in the Harris County District Court and the Texas Supreme Court today,” Texas GOP attorney Wade Emmert said in a statement.

Turner, who ordered Houston First Corp. to cancel the convention last week, applauded the court’s decisions “on behalf of the city of Houston” and the employees who would have worked at the convention. The mayor, who is a Democrat, repeatedly has said he called off the event to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in Houston, while party officials have alleged the move was politically motivated.

More at link.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 10:58:04 pm »
Texas GOP to vote on moving convention online after legal defeat at Supreme Court

You know.... Probably over 80- 90% of the real estate in our state does not look favorably on the dimocratic party.  This street runs both ways.