Author Topic: Brits School U.S. Troops in Tea-Making, But They Prefer Coffee  (Read 285 times)

rangerrebew

Brits School U.S. Troops in Tea-Making, But They Prefer Coffee
July 6, 2020 | BY Jim Garamone , DOD News

The Twitterverse is atwitter....as Brits teach Americans how to make a proper cup of tea.

It's the fallout from a TikTok video that shows an American woman brewing a cup of tea in the microwave.

Screenshot of a tweet dispelling the notion that a microwave is required for making tea.

The British army, navy and air force jumped in to educate their military cousins across the pond, letting them know that brewing tea requires a kettle, tea bag, milk and sugar.

Microwaving is a faux pas, and even the order you put things in the hot water matters.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Features/Story/Article/2261485/brits-school-us-troops-in-tea-making-but-they-prefer-coffee/source/GovDelivery/

Online roamer_1

Re: Brits School U.S. Troops in Tea-Making, But They Prefer Coffee
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:22:53 pm »
I probably drink more tea than anything, counting sweet tea. And while I have a great love of coffee, in hot drinks I am fairly likely to be at least even in coffee v. tea, especially if I am active, as my go-bag has an alcohol stove and a wide selection of teas, coffees, and ciders.

Now, I am not a particular fan of English tea. but I DO understand the argument here. For me it is about stopping time to live in the moment, a ritual act that is very centering... and because of that, nuking tea is nearly a sin.

Find someplace beautiful.
Take off the watch, shut off the phone.
haul out the gear and go sit on the tailgate.
Build a fire and put the water on in an old tin camp cup.
It's all about the boil...
Then it's all about the steep.
Then it's all about the temp (cooling, sipping).
And finally the reward.

There is something about it... something in the ritual and the waiting that is extremely calming, and a very healthy thing for me. For those 15 minutes or so, time and scheduling go away, all my troubles are pushed to the side, and I am truly grateful and in the moment.

Coffee is more 'grab a cup on the way, go, go, go'... Not the same.