Author Topic: Thomas Jefferson Descendant: Replace D.C. Memorial with Harriet Tubman Monument  (Read 856 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joshua Caplan 7 Jul 2020

Lucian K. Truscott IV, a direct descendant of Thomas Jefferson, has urged that the Washington, D.C., memorial honoring the third president be replaced with a statue to abolitionist Harriet Tubman.

Truscott wrote in an opinion-editorial for the New York Times:

The memorial is a shrine to a man who during his lifetime owned more than 600 slaves and had at least six children with one of them, Sally Hemings. It’s a shrine to a man who famously wrote that ‘all men are created equal’ in the Declaration of Independence that founded this nation — and yet never did much to make those words come true. [Jefferson’s] memorial in Washington should be taken down and replaced. Described by the National Park Service as ‘a shrine to freedom,’ it is anything but. In Jefferson’s place, there should be another statue. It should be of Harriet Tubman.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/07/07/thomas-jefferson-descendant-replace-d-c-memorial-with-harriet-tubman-monument/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Good grief. Hemings was Jefferson's wife in anything but name. Read up on her, for crying out loud.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

No, the Jefferson Memorial should not be replaced.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You want a monument to Harriet Tubman, put one up.

Leave The Jefferson Memorial alone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

What do his other descendants think?  Or are we living under apartheid now?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
History build on the past, and should record the facts unchanged.

We needed the founding fathers, with their strength and weaknesses, to get to the present.

It took a Model T, a Model A, a Model B..now an Electric Mustang.

We keep, restore, cherish the past models.

Plenty of fine old buildings, probably built by the equivalent of slaves, in Greece, Rome, Italy, Germany, France,  Britain, etc.

God forbid this insanity jump the pond.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

That's right.

Offline verga

:amen:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Practical

Well hell, if he is a direct descendant, he clearly has the moral high ground and obviously knows everything. Take it down, replace it with a monument to Saint George. That'll make everything stop and go back to normal right?
If you think I suck now, you should listen to my podcast! ThePodocasts.com

Offline EdinVA

Truscott attended the United States Military Academy, graduating in 1969. In 1968, Truscott and other cadets challenged the required attendance at chapel services. Later a court case filed by another cadet along with midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy resulted in a 1972 US Court of Appeals decision (and upheld by the Supreme Court) that ended mandatory chapel attendance at all of the service academies.[3] He was then assigned to Fort Carson, Colorado.[4] There, he wrote an article about heroin addiction among enlisted soldiers and another about what he felt was an illegal court martial. He was threatened with being sent to Vietnam, so he resigned his commission about thirteen months after graduating, receiving a "general discharge under other than honorable conditions."[1][5]
He is a member of the Monticello Association, the members of which descend from Thomas Jefferson, who was Truscott's great-great-great-great-grandfather.[6][7] The association owns the graveyard at Monticello. During a November 1998 appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show he invited descendants of Sally Hemings to the family reunion in 2000.  The Hemings descendants had not been allowed to join the association, or to be buried in its graveyard.[6][7][8]
He lives at the eastern end of Long Island with his girlfriend, the artist Tracy Harris.[9][10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian_K._Truscott_IV

Making the family proud every day...

Offline goatprairie

Good grief. Hemings was Jefferson's wife in anything but name. Read up on her, for crying out loud.
Interesting. From what I've read it has never been proved that Jefferson had any relations with Hemings. According to the Jefferson-Hemings Scholars Commission it has never been proved that Jefferson fathered a child by Hemings. The dna tests only show that any of a number male Jefferson relatives could have fathered a child by Hemings.
While the evidence does not totally exonerate T. Jefferson, it also doesn't conclusively show he fathered a child by her.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

How much longer do I have to wait to tell the bank I don't want $20 bills. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

Thanks to the damn bank, that's all I got. Almost 4k from the ATM in 20's $300 bucks a day at a time. I am sick of this woohan bullcrap.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
j.myrle wrote:
"Good grief. Hemings was Jefferson's wife in anything but name. Read up on her, for crying out loud"

Hemmings may not have been his wife nor anything else other than one of his slaves.

The Jefferson-Hemmings story may be one of the greatest lies promulgated by the left.

See this article (from a very controversial source -- I have deliberately made the URL non-clickable. You will have to add the "https://www." ahead of it):
amren.com/news/2009/06/rescuing_jeffer/

Offline goatprairie

j.myrle wrote:
"Good grief. Hemings was Jefferson's wife in anything but name. Read up on her, for crying out loud"

Hemmings may not have been his wife nor anything else other than one of his slaves.

The Jefferson-Hemmings story may be one of the greatest lies promulgated by the left.

See this article (from a very controversial source -- I have deliberately made the URL non-clickable. You will have to add the "https://www." ahead of it):
amren.com/news/2009/06/rescuing_jeffer/
Apparently, a refugee from Britain named James Callender was responsible for spreading a lot of false stories/slander concerning Jefferson over what Callender claimed was an unpaid debt of $200.  Callender had been fined the money under the Sedition Law for articles he had written slandering some people.
When Jefferson became president, he declared the Sedition Law unconstitutional and ordered Callender's $200 returned to him.
But a local sheriff refused to obey the order, and it took time for Callender to get his money back for which he blamed Jefferson. He then proceeded to launch a series of scurrilous attacks against Jefferson including alleging all the fathering a child with a slave stuff.
Jefferson never responded to Callender's attacks saying he didn't wish to get in the gutter with the man.
Historian Dumas Malone called Callender one of the most notorious scandal-mongers and character assassins in American history.
So without all the unproven slander by Callender, the issue of Jefferson fathering a child by one his slaves might never have arisen.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wrote:
"How much longer do I have to wait to tell the bank I don't want $20 bills."

I've thought about this, too.
I don't believe Tubman (or whoever it is they want to put on the $20 bill) belongs on it, and I will do what I can to refuse such bills. I DO NOT WANT such symbolism, and the black superiority that it implies, in my wallet.

Fortunately, the auto teller machines at the bank I use permit one to select the denominations one receives.
So long as $10 remains in the option list, that's what I'll take.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
catfish wrote:
"How much longer do I have to wait to tell the bank I don't want $20 bills."

I've thought about this, too.
I don't believe Tubman (or whoever it is they want to put on the $20 bill) belongs on it, and I will do what I can to refuse such bills. I DO NOT WANT such symbolism, and the black superiority that it implies, in my wallet.

Fortunately, the auto teller machines at the bank I use permit one to select the denominations one receives.
So long as $10 remains in the option list, that's what I'll take.

If enough of us reverse-woke, and across the board all refused change and payment of $20 bills, we could make the country choke on its supply.

BTW...  Looked it up, and the earliest we have to stomach a Tubman note is 2028.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:04:02 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Watch the newly woke GOP fold on this...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Tough.  No one listened to Aunt Jemima's descendants.   :smokin:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Interesting. From what I've read it has never been proved that Jefferson had any relations with Hemings. According to the Jefferson-Hemings Scholars Commission it has never been proved that Jefferson fathered a child by Hemings. The dna tests only show that any of a number male Jefferson relatives could have fathered a child by Hemings.
While the evidence does not totally exonerate T. Jefferson, it also doesn't conclusively show he fathered a child by her.
The problem is that too often, Sally Hemings's status is grossly misrepresented.

She was no ordinary slave. She was in fact Jefferson's sister-in-law, the half-sister of his wife Martha, who died before he ascended to the Presidency. She was nominally a slave because Sally's mother was a half-black slave, but Martha's was a white woman—yet both shared the same father, slave trader John Wayles, who had 17 kids with four different women.

The marital relationships of many of the founders were not always as neat and monogamous as one might suspect (some were). Ben Franklin, for example, never officially married his longtime girlfriend Deborah Read and had a child out of wedlock, William Franklin, a literal Loyalist bastard (though Ben would later adopt William's own illegitimate child Temple). Jefferson's was a perfect example, as he destroyed much of his communication with Martha after she died, making it nearly impossible to deduce the kind of relationship they had.

From what I've gathered, which is admittedly not much, I'm inclined to believe that Jefferson and Hemings were in a sexual relationship. The most telling evidence that suggests that to me is that Hemings's sons Eston and Madison acknowledged themselves as Jefferson's sons and Eston gave his children the surname Jefferson. It was not until the 1940s that the connection was forgotten. My firm belief is that it was not an abuse of power as some might have portrayed it, but an example of a close-knit family, and that Jefferson viewed the mostly-white Hemings as a romantic partner far more than a slave.

As for the theory that Jefferson's brothers or cousins may have been the father, I find it far-fetched mainly because Thomas was closest to Hemings, and Occam's razor (the simpliest explanation is usually the right one) would seem to apply.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:31:35 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Slide Rule

One can slander a founder just by claiming it.

Thomas was not the only Jefferson male in his family.
What is the proof that Thomas did the deed?

Circumstantial and DNA going back how many
generations. Certainly not to signify a difference
between males in the Jefferson family. DNA diverges
rapidly.

If the other Jefferson male was the founder, they would
claim him.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:01:54 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote