Author Topic: My Sisters think I'm Wrong for my Views  (Read 886 times)

Offline conservative3682

My Sisters think I'm Wrong for my Views
« on: July 05, 2020, 06:57:03 am »
Hi all!  I’m new here and cool to find a conservative forum to post on.  As for my username, I feel really bad yet confused because all of my sisters hate me for my view and ideas.  Well, the youngest one doesn’t hate me because she’s 1!  I’m an older brother to four sisters, to give you an idea.

I never even really had political/argumentative conversations with my sisters until a few months ago, but when we went into lockdown, things started getting heated.  From the start, I was upset about school being cancelled and concerned that the lockdown stuff would last far beyond two weeks.  I probably talked about it most days, and my oldest two sisters hated it.  They hate school and think I’m overdramatic for being shook up by lockdown - even saying they’d be fine with a permanent lockdown.  I’m no extrovert by any means (less so than my oldest sister honestly), but I need a level of social interaction outside my house, so I felt lonely too.  Luckily, I found a foodbank about half an hour from my house, so I can spend a few hours there some days at least.

Despite being a bit skeptical of its efficacy, I by all means follow the safety precautions - masks, curfews, distancing (when reasonably possible), whatever.  They just instituted a rule that we must wear masks when we want to take a walk, and that’s the first thing I’m not following.  Seems no one else is too, probably because it’s stupid.  But yes, I am a rule follower and being considerate because better safe than sorry I guess. 

Things definitely blew-up when the protesting and looting picked-up.  My oldest sister began to post probably ten things daily, along the lines of “all white people mistreat black people” and “all cops are b*stards” and praising the riots.  My sister makes these claims, yet she’s white as a sheet of paper!  Is she racist then?  Then I have about 20 other accounts I’m following that decided four week ago that cops suck and post about it constantly.  I don’t want to unfollow, because I believe it’s good to see information on both sides of the argument, but some of it is upsetting honestly. 

Anyway, I have tried to not bring it up because I know I’ll be called an ignorant white racist, but when my sister starts talking about how horrible and racist America is or how bad police are, it makes me want to argue honestly.  I completely understand that African-Americans were horribly and brutally treated, but that doesn’t translate to our current world at all.  I think we are all already equal, and the past few months have only served to divide us more.  Anyway, I can calmly say this, but my sister always interrupts and says I’m a bigoted awful person and to **** off.  I hate having these arguments because it just makes her hate me, but she truly believes that cops are targeting black people and such, which I just don’t see.  I agree small changes should be made (cops should always have their cameras on at all times), but not anything like that.

But what’s the worst is that I feel my 7 y/o sister is being indoctrinated to believe this.  We were able to visit my very liberal grandma finally (she picked us up), and all the way down to her house my sister and grandma were discussing politics and I just kept my mouth shut and smiled (or tried to).  Anyway, we did a talent show thingy where my grandpa scored our “act”, which was fun overall!  But anyway, when he gave my 7-year-old sister a perfect 10 and my grandma a 9, she told him “Grandpa, it’s like you’re treating me like a white person and grandma as a black person.”  Everyone was so proud of that, but I found it really strange (because she NEVER says stuff like that and is all of a sudden spouting it) seeming.  I’m proud of my sister for listening and caring, but I feel like she’s been hit with some misinformation/gross exaggeration.   And when I was 7, I wasn’t worried about politics and viruses and racism, so I feel for her.  Then my grandma proudly told my Mom what she said!  Luckily, my parents are (lowkey) more conservative, and I overheard them talking about how untrue that is lol. 

And then of course, my older sisters had to tell my younger one that I don’t agree with the basis of what she’s saying, so now I’m racist to all of them.  And I’m constantly being ganged up on and called “Ignorant” by all of them, which is really frustrating.  I am a Republican because I find that the Democratic party is actually filled with so much more underlying racism, greed and poor intentions.  And I obviously am in full support of the fact that black lives matter!  I just don’t support the campaign and what it’s been doing by any means. 

Anyway, sorry for a monster post to introduce me to the forum lol.  I was searching political forums because I’ve just been depressed with everything, and I figured I’d vent a bit.  It’s good to be here!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: My Sisters think I'm Wrong for my Views
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 08:03:21 am »
I wish I had found group such as this at a younger age for the sheer fact that there is some good arguments here if you take time to digest them. But at the same time,  politics can be brutal, and depressing. The Bible teaches us that there is nothing new under the sun, odds are no sin you see today was not done in the past. So I guess each generation has to learn the dark side of human nature.

Racism is a subject that is complex. It's definition changes depending on who you ask. If you go to the park, and see a rough looking black man in section of the public space, is it racist to decide not to sit next to him? Knowing that black men are more apt to commit crime? Perhaps not, if you discern him to be "iffy" that is using the gift God gave you. If you happen about the same black man a week later at a church function and learn his actual character is good, then it would be racist to not to sit next to them and be friendly. I am a big intimidating fellow myself, I can't blame someone for not wanting to "break the ice" with me off the bat either. Is that wrong? Nope... it is not wrong to use the judgement God gives ya (to keep you safe). What is wrong is to "judge wrongly" once you have been giving insight into a person's character.

Nobody wants to be racist to good people usually. Stats (others can link you up) show this nation is about as race friendly as it gets, but when others start using the "race card" to gain an advantage (politically or monetary) then your "spider sense" should be going crazy (and I have a feeling you have a good head start over your sisters in this category).

There is some very skillful debaters in this group. Some have studied debate tactics, some are just old political studiers for a long time (and have the wisdom of history to back up why they think as they do). I am probable the babe of the group and mostly enjoy soaking up their viewpoints as you will if you have the stomach to deal with this ole cruel political world we live in (and it is dirty as you have already figured out).

Welcome to TBR... @conservative3682
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:05:56 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 06:36:07 pm »
@ conservative3682

Once again Welcome to TBR

May I ask how old you are?

There are many here who will help you understand the difference between Conservatives and Liberals if you want to learn....you choose wisely in your choice of political parties.

You have come to the right place...don't be shy...most here won't bite..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Absalom

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 10:46:18 pm »
#3682.
A reflection and a suggestion.
Structured schooling is a modernist fad birthed by the Enlightenment.
The Ancients, arguably the greatest minds to ever walk this earth,
among them Plato and Socrates, were self-taught by family and friends.
My suggestion is that, if you wish to understand the essence of conservative
principles, begin by understanding the precepts of Natural Law,
as they are the foundation upon which conservatism was erected.
A good place to start would be the easily grasped writings of Russell Kirk.
The last place to start would be politics, the neurosis of far too many posters on TBR.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:06:41 am by Absalom »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 11:17:14 pm »
Welcome.

All I can say is this is a very bad time for independent thinkers and for free and open debate. Stick to your guns... and know that no matter how other may try to make you feel otherwise, you aren't by any means alone.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 11:33:43 pm »
Hi all!  I’m new here and cool to find a conservative forum to post on.  As for my username, I feel really bad yet confused because all of my sisters hate me for my view and ideas.  Well, the youngest one doesn’t hate me because she’s 1!  I’m an older brother to four sisters, to give you an idea.

I never even really had political/argumentative conversations with my sisters until a few months ago, but when we went into lockdown, things started getting heated.  From the start, I was upset about school being cancelled and concerned that the lockdown stuff would last far beyond two weeks.  I probably talked about it most days, and my oldest two sisters hated it.  They hate school and think I’m overdramatic for being shook up by lockdown - even saying they’d be fine with a permanent lockdown.  I’m no extrovert by any means (less so than my oldest sister honestly), but I need a level of social interaction outside my house, so I felt lonely too.  Luckily, I found a foodbank about half an hour from my house, so I can spend a few hours there some days at least.

Despite being a bit skeptical of its efficacy, I by all means follow the safety precautions - masks, curfews, distancing (when reasonably possible), whatever.  They just instituted a rule that we must wear masks when we want to take a walk, and that’s the first thing I’m not following.  Seems no one else is too, probably because it’s stupid.  But yes, I am a rule follower and being considerate because better safe than sorry I guess. 

Things definitely blew-up when the protesting and looting picked-up.  My oldest sister began to post probably ten things daily, along the lines of “all white people mistreat black people” and “all cops are b*stards” and praising the riots.  My sister makes these claims, yet she’s white as a sheet of paper!  Is she racist then?  Then I have about 20 other accounts I’m following that decided four week ago that cops suck and post about it constantly.  I don’t want to unfollow, because I believe it’s good to see information on both sides of the argument, but some of it is upsetting honestly. 

Anyway, I have tried to not bring it up because I know I’ll be called an ignorant white racist, but when my sister starts talking about how horrible and racist America is or how bad police are, it makes me want to argue honestly.  I completely understand that African-Americans were horribly and brutally treated, but that doesn’t translate to our current world at all.  I think we are all already equal, and the past few months have only served to divide us more.  Anyway, I can calmly say this, but my sister always interrupts and says I’m a bigoted awful person and to **** off.  I hate having these arguments because it just makes her hate me, but she truly believes that cops are targeting black people and such, which I just don’t see.  I agree small changes should be made (cops should always have their cameras on at all times), but not anything like that.

But what’s the worst is that I feel my 7 y/o sister is being indoctrinated to believe this.  We were able to visit my very liberal grandma finally (she picked us up), and all the way down to her house my sister and grandma were discussing politics and I just kept my mouth shut and smiled (or tried to).  Anyway, we did a talent show thingy where my grandpa scored our “act”, which was fun overall!  But anyway, when he gave my 7-year-old sister a perfect 10 and my grandma a 9, she told him “Grandpa, it’s like you’re treating me like a white person and grandma as a black person.”  Everyone was so proud of that, but I found it really strange (because she NEVER says stuff like that and is all of a sudden spouting it) seeming.  I’m proud of my sister for listening and caring, but I feel like she’s been hit with some misinformation/gross exaggeration.   And when I was 7, I wasn’t worried about politics and viruses and racism, so I feel for her.  Then my grandma proudly told my Mom what she said!  Luckily, my parents are (lowkey) more conservative, and I overheard them talking about how untrue that is lol. 

And then of course, my older sisters had to tell my younger one that I don’t agree with the basis of what she’s saying, so now I’m racist to all of them.  And I’m constantly being ganged up on and called “Ignorant” by all of them, which is really frustrating.  I am a Republican because I find that the Democratic party is actually filled with so much more underlying racism, greed and poor intentions.  And I obviously am in full support of the fact that black lives matter!  I just don’t support the campaign and what it’s been doing by any means. 

Anyway, sorry for a monster post to introduce me to the forum lol.  I was searching political forums because I’ve just been depressed with everything, and I figured I’d vent a bit.  It’s good to be here!

You are thinking clearly.  Listen to some of these men. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 11:35:05 pm »
Welcome.

All I can say is this is a very bad time for independent thinkers and for free and open debate. Stick to your guns... and know that no matter how other may try to make you feel otherwise, you aren't by any means alone.

I agree.  Stick to your guns.   :thumbsup:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 12:07:13 am »
The very best I could offer you @conservative3682 is to develop an insatiable desire to read.
I don't really care what you start with, with the exception that it be book length, and preferably between two covers.

I spent most of my teens and twenties just absorbing the written word... Some for fun - I have read everything Louis L'Amour ever wrote, as an example, and at that, numerous times... Simple stories, rousing adventures in 150 pages...

And once you have developed a taste for it, expand. The classics are a must, and will ground you in thought from all ages... Homer's Odyssey, written in ancient times... Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, written in the Antebellum South, and everything in between.

It is pretty hard to have people tell you different about how it was, when you have been buttressed by authors who lived it at the time... And it gives you a broad and unassailable depth with regard to the human condition. And all the absurd fads of today will snap readily into perspective against the pillars of history.

And as you learn you will begin to seek truth. A mind trained for thought beyond the fetid boundaries of 240 characters, and ready to expand far, far beyond the reaches of Hollywood. THEN start on big ideas. You will be ready...

Read the Constitution and our founding fathers... Read Blackstone's Law and the Bible to find our Jurisprudence, based in the Scriptures and Natural Law. Read Kirk and Burke to understand the principles of Conservatism, and then judge them against the likes of Marx and Hitler, and all the other ways set forth in the eyes of men.

I really don't care what your conclusions may be. What I would ask of you is to develop your thinking and be able to defend it. And that, friend, is a ride that will last a lifetime.

Again, Welcome to TBR

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 01:17:05 am »
Well @conservative3682... I claim no expertise in much of anything but loaded with opinions... Do with it as you will.
Family disagreements, political or otherwise, can create long lasting distrust so I would tread lightly.
People now days are firmly entrenched in their positions, rightly or wrongly, and trying to force them out of that position "against" their will is not only a waste of time but can create real family issues.
Keep a sense of humor and respect and calmly discuss the issues as they arise keeping in mind, the task at hand is to overcome all of the nonsense the media is pumping out and your just one person.
As @roamer_1  said, read, read, and read some more and continue to ask questions and listen...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 01:37:15 am »
My typical response is something like - 'If you want to call me names, won't debate, and think of yourself as morally superior to me, then you don't have an argument. What you have is religion and more like a mindless cult of drones. And since we're in a secular society with Separation of Church and State, you need to take your sermons to the worship center of your choice and preach them there.'

When they call you racist, tell them that what they really mean is you are a heretic, apostate, infidel, and that their stance is no different than the Spanish Inqusition, because they just moralize and can't rationally debate.

They'll huff, puff, attack you, probably throw things at you, threaten to disown you, but keep coming back at them that they have a cult-like, drone like, childish, cartoon mindset, and that they are truly progressive, progressing right back to the Middle Ages.

Be prepared to pay the consequences for this approach if you do, because they will throw on helluva temper tantrum. Stand your ground, and use cult drone alot.

But, that tactic seems to shut them down every time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:38:11 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 03:10:38 am »
Generation Z women and girls... ugh. They are hardcore left-wingers.

But at least the ones I've met are far kinder than millennial women, who are just as far-left but much more bitter.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 05:43:06 am »
@conservative3682 There is a lot of good advice here I won't take the time to repeat. Read the writings of those who lived then before you judge any period in history, and get as many viewpoints as you can. Understand English Common Law as well, the Magna Carta, for much of the legal thought of the day had roots there.

The more you learn, the more things make sense, and an old (early 1800s) dictionary like Barclays will show you how some of the meanings of words have evolved over the decades, and the modern meaning is little like the meaning in 1700 or 1800. With those changes in usage in mind, the meanings of what was written then vs how it is interpreted today can be significantly different. Place that interpretation in an historical context to test it and if it passes that muster, it is likely closer than many more modern interpretations.

Another thing. It is a ringtailed SOB to be the only one in the room who is right. Even if you KNOW beyond a doubt, have the evidence, can prove you are right, often you will find people who attach their egos or even sense of self-worth to their ideas, and won't part with those lightly nor without a fight.

Stick to your guns, and try to keep the alienation to a minimum.

Some discussions are best not met head on, but through subtle flanking logic which displays the fallacies inherent in their ideas. Often, just calmly allowing them to explain their position and asking questions which aren't directly confronting but whose honest answers undermine those other answers they give is the best route.

Remember, Leftist/Liberal/Marxist Socialist/Communist ideas are commonly built on cognitive disconnects that sound good but don't work.

And with family, just agreeing to disagree is sometimes best, especially in close quarters.

Welcome, again, and here you will see arguments and links to facts which show why those arguments are right or wrong.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline conservative3682

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 03:54:28 am »
Wow!  Thank you everyone for your responses!  I've been on vacation, but finally caught up on everything.  This group seems very wise (well, until I joined 22222frying pan) and it's interesting to hear your thoughts.  I will definitely try to do some reading - I am probably a bit too current event-based, I think.

I do also want to do some reading of the other side - partly to be "fair" and partly to shut down my oldest sister constantly berating me for only hearing what I want to hear.

It's really frustrating.  I can't even talk to someone else about wanting school to reopen without her jumping in and telling me she's "sick of hearing my opinion".  I swear, these last few months and having to be at home almost constantly has brought out the worst in my family (including myself).  Which is another reason I need to get back to school!  But my older sister is definitely turning into an SJW type that gets offended by anything that isn't "hardcore liberal" in her book.  Ugh.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 02:37:36 pm »
Wow!  Thank you everyone for your responses!  I've been on vacation, but finally caught up on everything.  This group seems very wise (well, until I joined 22222frying pan) and it's interesting to hear your thoughts.  I will definitely try to do some reading - I am probably a bit too current event-based, I think.

I do also want to do some reading of the other side - partly to be "fair" and partly to shut down my oldest sister constantly berating me for only hearing what I want to hear.

It's really frustrating.  I can't even talk to someone else about wanting school to reopen without her jumping in and telling me she's "sick of hearing my opinion".  I swear, these last few months and having to be at home almost constantly has brought out the worst in my family (including myself).  Which is another reason I need to get back to school!  But my older sister is definitely turning into an SJW type that gets offended by anything that isn't "hardcore liberal" in her book.  Ugh.

Welcome to TBR!

I've found that often people just want to hear their opinions, coming out of my face. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 02:15:40 am »
@conservative3682

I would feel much better if there were significantly more numbers in your name.

Like conservative3682271812303616 because all the small numbers were used.

My ex is a lifetime liberal. Voted Trump. My daughter is a liberal yet she works at a institute
that keeps convicted sex offenders off the streets. My favorite cousin who voted Obama twice
voted Trump. He was the last holdout. We all started dim, and now 23 of us are conservative.

Look for a Tea Party group or a Republican Club. I am members of both and former officer in the
Republican Club for a decade. Elephant Tusk award winner.

It is a great time to be a conservative.
Al
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:17:07 am by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote