Author Topic: Texas GOP Strongly Rebukes Abbott, Moves to Continue In-Person Convention  (Read 572 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard By Brandon Waltens July 3, 2020

“This is a convention that Trump wants. Like it or not, Texas is the Republican state. We bear that, so we need to stand our ground.”

On the day Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order requiring masks statewide, the Texas GOP voted to go ahead with its plans for an in-person convention in two weeks.

After a three-hour meeting via videoconference and ample debate on whether to proceed with the in-person convention or opt for a virtual or hybrid alternative, the State Republican Executive Committee voted 40 to 20 in favor of proceeding as planned with the in-person convention slated to begin on July 11 in Houston.

Advocates of staying the course argued that moving to a virtual convention would disenfranchise delegates and restrict their ability to make their voices heard. Houston’s Mark Ramsey and Arlington’s Warren Norred argued that the technology simply isn’t adequate to empower everyone like an in-person meeting.

“I’ve been doing Zoom calls for three months now, and I still have trouble finding some of the buttons,” said Norred.

“We’ve been doing some of our committee work virtually, and I have to tell you, I just don’t think it’s going to work with thousands of people,” argued Ramsey.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-gop-strongly-rebukes-abbott-moves-to-continue-in-person-convention/

Offline LegalAmerican

Using covid to destroy America. 

Offline berdie

Using covid to destroy America.

I respectfully disagree. There is very little these days that can't be done via the internet or television. Disclaimer: I pretty much "cloistered" prior to all this nonsense. :laugh:

Offline Victoria33

@Elderberry

Elder, I have been to many Texas Republican State Conventions, some of them in Houston as it is this year.
Here is the bottom line: IT IS LARGER THAN THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION.

There are more hundreds/thousands of people congregated there than at the National Convention.  COVID-19 will have a great time at that convention with all the singing and shouting.  People across the state who haven't seen each other since the last state convention, will be hugging and kissing.  I know a lot of these people as I worked with the party for years, instructing in Texas Election Code.  If they have this "body there" convention, even if they wear a mask, it is going to be a huge risk of many getting sick.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I respectfully disagree. There is very little these days that can't be done via the internet or television. Disclaimer: I pretty much "cloistered" prior to all this nonsense. :laugh:
Obviously you support vote by mail with that theme.

Sure it can be done but is it wise?

And that will destroy this country more than anything else.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline berdie

Obviously you support vote by mail with that theme.

Sure it can be done but is it wise?

And that will destroy this country more than anything else.

No...I don't support mail-in voting except in certain circumstances.

My comment was regarding the never ending campaigning and is really more about economics. The money spent on this tactic is insane and unnecessary in today's times.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No...I don't support mail-in voting except in certain circumstances.

My comment was regarding the never ending campaigning and is really more about economics. The money spent on this tactic is insane and unnecessary in today's times.
Don't understand that logic.  You seem to prefer we conduct as much activity as possible by digital devices rather than in person.

So what does that have to do with campaigning?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington