Author Topic: Texas governor issues mandatory face mask policy  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: Texas governor issues mandatory face mask policy
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2020, 10:45:16 pm »
@roamer_1

The military is sending medical personnel to Texas - saw/read that on TV today.
My dear friend, how can you speak like you do about this virus?  Read below, 10,000 more Texans sick in one day, today, 10,000.  Do not tell me it doesn't matter.  Don't tell me it is a fake, do not tell me Democrats made it happen, do not tell me Trump made it happen.

It is the dead people you should think about, as most dead had a family.  Those families care about their family members they will never see again.  How many more dead are we going to have?  The below is the current situation in Texas.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas surpassed 10,000 new coronavirus cases in a single day Tuesday for the first time, crossing a sobering milestone rarely seen since the pandemic first hit the U.S. in March.

The record high of 10,028 new cases in Texas served as another alarming new measure of the swift resurgence of COVID-19 nationwide and the failures of the country’s response. Republican Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas aggressively began one of America’s fastest reopenings in May, but reversed course last week, ordering bars closed and mandating face coverings in much of the state.

@catfish1957  New number for you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:49:09 pm by Victoria33 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2020, 11:05:40 pm »
@roamer_1

The military is sending medical personnel to Texas - saw/read that on TV today.
My dear friend, how can you speak like you do about this virus?  Read below, 10,000 more Texans sick in one day, today, 10,000.  Do not tell me it doesn't matter.  Don't tell me it is a fake, do not tell me Democrats made it happen, do not tell me Trump made it happen.

@Victoria33

Statistically speaking  10,000 do not matter. Especially if it is only active cases and not actual hospitalizations or deaths. That is a number that they are already jiggering - now measuring as active not only actual bonafide cases but also all the people they had contact with, whether they are presenting or not... And the death toll is not going up. It is going down.

It is the dead people you should think about, as most dead had a family.  Those families care about their family members they will never see again.  How many more dead are we going to have?  The below is the current situation in Texas.

No, that is exactly wrong. Nothing can be done for the dead, but only for the living. And mandating masks does nothing for the living, as already proven over and over again.

I am sorry to say it like that, but I refuse to let emotion rule the day. This is a time for sense, not emotion, no matter how hard that is to do.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2020, 11:15:54 pm »
Face mask facts:

50% of the pores in a typical consumer grade double-layer cloth mask range from 80-400 microns and many exceed 1000 microns. More than half of the volume of droplets in a sneeze are below 400nm. More importantly, the heavier droplets precipitate out of the air under gravity, while these smaller particles are carried on air currents and can range down to <10 microns. These droplets can easily be inhaled by passersby or indeed anyone within a given enclosed space.

The coronavirus measures approximately 0.1 micron.

Now for some comparisons:

If the virus is the size of a ping pong ball (40mm), then the largest pores would be over 400m (about 1320 feet - almost a quarter mile) in diameter. The center 50% would range from 32m (106 feet) to 160m (528 feet). Do you think a ping pong ball could sail through a hole between 100' and nearly a quarter mile?

Now let's look at sneeze droplets. The large droplets which are in the millimeter range, are not an issue, because they quickly fall to the ground under gravity (hence the "social distancing" rule). However, about half of the droplets are aerosolized such that they do not fall, but are carried on air currents throughout a given space. These range from about 10 microns to about 400 microns. Relative to the smallest of these aerosols as a ping pong ball, the pores would range from about 1 foot in diameter to 5 feet in diameter.

Think about that next time someone tells you a cloth mask serves any purpose stopping transmission of SARS-CoV2. And one last thing, NONE of these masks cover the eyes which are just as much an entry point as the nose and mouth.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2020, 12:48:23 am »
Just as a point of reference, we here in NYC never went to mandatory face masks and we had some of the highest deaths from covid. And remember too that our Gov. Cuomo killed 6200 nursing home patients in a boneheaded state order that nursing homes must accept covid patients.

Point is these politicians don’t know what they’re doing.

Offline DB

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2020, 12:55:14 am »
Face mask facts:

50% of the pores in a typical consumer grade double-layer cloth mask range from 80-400 microns and many exceed 1000 microns. More than half of the volume of droplets in a sneeze are below 400nm. More importantly, the heavier droplets precipitate out of the air under gravity, while these smaller particles are carried on air currents and can range down to <10 microns. These droplets can easily be inhaled by passersby or indeed anyone within a given enclosed space.

The coronavirus measures approximately 0.1 micron.

Now for some comparisons:

If the virus is the size of a ping pong ball (40mm), then the largest pores would be over 400m (about 1320 feet - almost a quarter mile) in diameter. The center 50% would range from 32m (106 feet) to 160m (528 feet). Do you think a ping pong ball could sail through a hole between 100' and nearly a quarter mile?

Now let's look at sneeze droplets. The large droplets which are in the millimeter range, are not an issue, because they quickly fall to the ground under gravity (hence the "social distancing" rule). However, about half of the droplets are aerosolized such that they do not fall, but are carried on air currents throughout a given space. These range from about 10 microns to about 400 microns. Relative to the smallest of these aerosols as a ping pong ball, the pores would range from about 1 foot in diameter to 5 feet in diameter.

Think about that next time someone tells you a cloth mask serves any purpose stopping transmission of SARS-CoV2. And one last thing, NONE of these masks cover the eyes which are just as much an entry point as the nose and mouth.

Just another note to add. Sneezing/coughing through a cloth mask very likely atomizes the fluids being expelled increasing the number of fine droplets that will linger in the air longer. The whole cloth/paper mask thing is a farce.

Offline DB

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2020, 12:56:41 am »
Just as a point of reference, we here in NYC never went to mandatory face masks and we had some of the highest deaths from covid. And remember too that our Gov. Cuomo killed 6200 nursing home patients in a boneheaded state order that nursing homes must accept covid patients.

That is probably because NYC managed to infect the older population early on and that has a much higher death rate.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2020, 01:02:06 am »

Nope they're all flying by the seat of their pants as none of them have ever been faced with a pandemic.  Fauci has his own agenda so it's not like the can depend on him to help guide them and the CDC is worthless.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2020, 01:11:27 am »
Just another note to add. Sneezing/coughing through a cloth mask very likely atomizes the fluids being expelled increasing the number of fine droplets that will linger in the air longer. The whole cloth/paper mask thing is a farce.

:yowsa: Absolutely true.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2020, 02:11:16 am »
They know what they are doing.

The problem is they think we don't.

See through the BS.

I was considering this a while back. Relating what the polly's are saying. What the media reports. What the medical people report.

Apply that to this video. It becomes clear.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2020, 08:25:50 pm »

That's right.
The governor of NY allowed people to go to the beach, but not swim.
The governor of CA allowed people to swim, but not hang out on the beach.

Both said it was because that is what science dictated......

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2020, 01:48:22 am »
@roamer_1

I am not emotional - I am looking at facts.

You said, "Statistically speaking  10,000 do not matter. Especially if it is only active cases and not actual hospitalizations or deaths. That is a number that they are already jiggering - now measuring as active not only actual bonafide cases but also all the people they had contact with, whether they are presenting or not... And the death toll is not going up. It is going down."

You are wrong.  We have so many in hospitals, the military is sending doctors to our state to have enough to treat people.  There are few ICU beds available.  We are going to run out of them in less than a week.  The dead are stacking up, not going down. 10,000 VIRUS SICK PEOPLE DO MATTER, MANY ARE GOING TO DIE.

I said, It is the dead people you should think about, as most dead had a family.
Those families care about their family members they will never see again.  How many more dead are we going to have?

You said, "No, that is exactly wrong. Nothing can be done for the dead, but only for the living. And mandating masks does nothing for the living, as already proven over and over again."

You are so wrong.  A dead husband means there is no one to make money to keep the family alive.  A dead mother means no one to help with the kids because the husband must go to work.  This is not a normal time - the kids cannot be put in day school or nurseries.   We are back to needing mothers in the home and husbands working.

Decent masks do work; not the flimsy cloth ones, but N95s, and medical Face Shields.  I have both and so could other people if they quit wearing those cloth ones.  Right now, Sams has Face Shields, 4 for $5 - they work.  CDC said Face Shields are better than masks.  A simple medical mask (N95s not needed) and a Face Shield doubly protects you.

@DB
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:57:39 am by Victoria33 »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2020, 01:54:35 am »
@roamer_1

You said, "Statistically speaking  10,000 do not matter. Especially if it is only active cases and not actual hospitalizations or deaths. That is a number that they are already jiggering - now measuring as active not only actual bonafide cases but also all the people they had contact with, whether they are presenting or not... And the death toll is not going up. It is going down."

You are wrong.  We have so many in hospitals, the military is sending doctors to our state to have enough to treat people.  There are few ICU beds available.  We are going to run out of them in less than a week.  The dead are stacking up, not going down. 10,000 VIRUS SICK PEOPLE DO MATTER, MANY ARE GOING TO DIE.

I said, It is the dead people you should think about, as most dead had a family.
Those families care about their family members they will never see again.  How many more dead are we going to have?

You said, "No, that is exactly wrong. Nothing can be done for the dead, but only for the living. And mandating masks does nothing for the living, as already proven over and over again."

You are so wrong.  A dead husband means there is no one to make money to keep the family alive.  A dead mother means no one to help with the kids because the husband must go to work.  This is not a normal time - the kids cannot be put in day school or nurseries.   We are back to needing mothers in the home and husbands working.

Decent masks do work; not the flimsy cloth ones, but N95s, and medical Face Shields.  I have both and so could other people if they quit wearing those cloth ones.  Right now, Sams has Face Shields, 4 for $5 - they work.  CDC said Face Shields are better than masks.  A simple medical mask (N95s not needed) and a Face Shield doubly protects you.

@BD

Thanks for your input regarding the face shields @Victoria33 I didn't realize that they were that inexpensive.

Even at that -- IF everyone were to wear a mask, or some type of face covering, it would be beneficial -- but going into an environment where only some people wearing them becomes problematic and quite frankly at this point I see as inconsiderate of your fellow neighbors. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2020, 02:16:08 am »

@Victoria33

No, I am not wrong. It is a simple matter to boost ICU units. The article itself said they won't be running out till the end of the month. That is, there are 17 beds left, and they will not be used up until the end of the month.. By that metric, something like 8 people a week are entering ICU. Even if they all DIED, that's 24 deaths a month. In a city of how many? And how many die per month regularly?

Again with emotion. And that emotion supposes something can be done about it. In the end that is false, as has been proven over and over. Everyplace quarantine, and tough strictures have been enforced, those strictures have done NOTHING to prevent infection. Nothing. EVERYWHERE the virus has lit up in cities, it has run rampant, regardless of quarantine. Regardless of masks. Regardless of 'social distancing' - Another goofy ass idea that holds no water. NONE of it has worked.

Decent masks do work;

No, they do not. Or virologists would use them.

Look, knock yourself out. Be safe. Do what you have to. But by ANY metric, making basically ALL Texans wear masks is as ridiculous an over reach as any other... And one which will have no measurable effect. Just as stupid as wearing a mask alone in your car or in the middle of a pasture. It is PLAINLY an absurdity, and one which has never been shown to be effective. Equally as absurd as quarantining healthy people and shutting down whole economies - Ridiculous overreach that has never been done in all time. How quickly we bend a knee and bow to those who will take away all we have.

Well, not 'we'. I damn well won't

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:16:59 am by roamer_1 »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2020, 02:18:18 am »
@berdie

For me, the issue is NOT the mask. The issue is the government thinking it has the right to tell me I have to wear one. It does not!

This is a test to see just how much unconstitutional crap you will put up with before you rebel.  I'm not putting up with any of it.

:thumbsup:    :yowsa:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2020, 02:28:57 am »
Sure. But it is not like that. Unless you are wearing eye protection and gloves, a bandanna or paper mask does very, very, little in terms of preventing spread. I've seen people wearing the mask on their chin or under their nose. People in general are stupid. They think 'wearing a mask' is like a magic talisman which prevents the evil spirit COVID from touching them.

They wear a mask without even understanding the underlying principle or the point of it. These guys think if they 'wear a mask' around their neck like a necklace or on their wrist, then they are magically protected. Unless there are 'mask police' everywhere to not only check if you have a mask but also how you use it, then it is all a waste of time. Just recently I was in a store and the clerk had a mask. But, every time he spoke he pulled his mask down first, said what he had to say, and then diligently put it back on. Kind of defeats the whole point. But he didn't know that.

I feel like I am living in a Looney Tunes world these days. And I'm amazed at how many politicians actually think they are accomplishing anything with all this nonsense.

Correct. The health food store lady berated me for NOT wearing a mask.  She took down her mask to tell me this.  I pointed it out.  As in, she lost her 'protection'.  She said just, to talk to me.  SHE IS A DEMOCRAT.  Unless one is in a hazmat suit, all the time...WE WILL ALL,  GET EXPOSED TO COVID.  Idiots only cover their mouth, not nose.  Or like you said, wear it under their chin, keep removing it to talk.  They think it is some amulet, to keep virus away. lol.  All the CONTROL FREAKS...love to tell me, how I need my mask.  I say, I NEED OXEGEN...I have a medical condition. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 02:30:20 am »
It's simple folks,  wear the masks and reopen the economy.    Get people back to work, able to pay their bills again.  Get kids back in school.   Maybe even re-elect the President.

Don't wear masks, and governors will take more drastic steps and re-close the economy,  just in time for the misery to bite on Election Day.   

Don't wear masks, bye-bye Trump. 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2020, 02:38:18 am »
I wonder if folks have stopped to think of basic aerodynamics... A face shield moving forward through a space id PUSHING air in front of it What happens behind it? Think wing. Necessarily the air will roil behind the shield, pulling a current in from the sides.

Will it protect you from someone spitting on you? Of course. Will it protect you from aerosols carried in the air? No.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2020, 02:39:45 am »
It's simple folks,  wear the masks and reopen the economy.    Get people back to work, able to pay their bills again.  Get kids back in school.   Maybe even re-elect the President.

Don't wear masks, and governors will take more drastic steps and re-close the economy,  just in time for the misery to bite on Election Day.   

No.

Offline DB

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2020, 03:06:49 am »
@roamer_1

@DB

If the face shield seals around the face that would mostly keep it out of the eyes assuming you aren't breathing in the same area. But if it is open on the sides and/or bottom it won't do much for something floating around in the air. A face shield works for keeping spittle droplets from hitting your face when they are flying towards you at speed when someone coughs. Or someone springs a leak spraying fluids. But if the droplets are so small they are floating in the air - as claimed - then they will float in on the sides when you breath and/or move easily.

Surgical masks are not made to filter virus sized contaminants. There is scant evidence they do much.

https://www.newsweek.com/surgical-cotton-face-masks-ineffective-blocking-sars-cov-2-particles-when-covid-19-patients-1496476

The bottom line is this virus isn't going away until either enough people get it to stop its spread or an effective vaccine is made.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2020, 03:26:40 am »
I have heard all throughout this:

Vitamin D helps--get it with sunshine and/or D supplements.

Good fitness, exercize helps--Never discussed here.

There have been limited reopening's almost every state. Distancing.

Any GOOD  date?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2020, 03:30:49 am »

You just can't help yourself.   88devil

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2020, 03:32:31 am »

Offline DB

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2020, 03:46:33 am »
I have heard all throughout this:

Vitamin D helps--get it with sunshine and/or D supplements.

Good fitness, exercize helps--Never discussed here.

There have been limited reopening's almost every state. Distancing.

Any GOOD  date?

I take 5,000 IU of D3 a day...

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2020, 04:27:33 am »
I wonder if folks have stopped to think of basic aerodynamics... A face shield moving forward through a space id PUSHING air in front of it What happens behind it? Think wing. Necessarily the air will roil behind the shield, pulling a current in from the sides.
Will it protect you from someone spitting on you? Of course. Will it protect you from aerosols carried in the air? No.
@roamer_1

roamer, Again, you are wrong.  A Face Shield in front goes a number of inches below your chin.  Also, the Face Shield curves around the face, almost to your ears.  The air cannot roll around this curve unless it stops moving and backs up; even then, the plastic is against your skin, no room for air to back up and get in there.  It was made that way to keep air from going in.  Your medical knowledge is lacking.  When you see pictures inside a hospital, you will see Face Shields on those medical people who deal with very sick people.  You will also see surgical masks also being worn under the Shield, either the soft kind or an N95.

To become an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician), I had to work in an emergency room.  Have you?  I wore various types medical masks along with the rest of the doctors/nurses.  I worked on an ambulance going to car wrecks and to sick people in homes.  We wore masks when necessary, according to what the medical 911 call was about.  I made the highest grade on the state test.  My instructor said he told his wife, if he was really sick, to call me before she called 911.  I know masks and a lot more.  I took emergency care of people and each one was important to keep him/her alive for their own future life and for their family.  If you want to call that "emotional", then I am.  Every EMT, then, is emotional and every doctor/nurse is emotional.

@libertybele