Author Topic: Texas governor issues mandatory face mask policy  (Read 3559 times)

Online berdie

Re: Texas governor issues mandatory face mask policy
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 03:59:39 pm »
Many thanks for the answers to my question. It's what I thought the answers would be...I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

@roamer_1 Some of your answers conjured up mental images that cracked me up, lol. Thanks

Everyone have a good 4th!!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 04:01:05 pm »
Many thanks for the answers to my question. It's what I thought the answers would be...I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

@roamer_1 Some of your answers conjured up mental images that cracked me up, lol. Thanks

Everyone have a good 4th!!

Happy 4th.  :patriot:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2020, 02:35:45 pm »
Abbott has successfully engineering himself to a position where both conservatives and liberals are denouncing him.

Beto calls on Gov. Abbott to resign for his handling of COVID-19

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics...athetic-resign/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline aligncare

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 02:43:56 pm »
I see the flucker talking. Without a mask.

I saw governor Cuomo for twenty minutes berating Trump for not wearing a mask, while he was not wearing a mask.

Not a trace of self awareness from this chooch.

Chooch: a term for an idiot, moron, or any word that can be used to describe a stubborn and common sense-lacking person. The Italian ciuccio, which “chooch” is derived from, is literally a pacifier for children. But in the southern parts of Italy, it can mean a donkey or an ass, lending us the definition of a jackass.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 02:54:59 pm »

@Bigun and @IsailedawayfromFR ...I'm just curious. Do ya'll wear seat belts? And shirts and shoes in restaurants?

I'm not trying to be contrary...I'm just curious as to why this is such a big deal.

Truth be known...I went down swinging over the seatbelt laws. But that was a little different.

Let’s say you ignore the mask and indeed you catch the dreaded covid.

If you’re in 98.8 percentile of those infected what’s the worst that can happen to you? You have flu-like symptoms for a few or for several days. But, let’s all panic and shut life down.

State and national leaders have become psychotic post the Obama era of fundamental change, with no hope for recovery.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:13:31 pm by aligncare »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2020, 03:02:31 pm »
I don't really have a problem with this as COVID 19 is hitting our community hard now.

Same here.  Like to see the locals here manage a state where the Leader is doing his best to balance economic impact while protecting citizens.  Abbott has been a fine governor.  Hope they don't catch it, and have difficulty finding an ICU bed. 

Unless they think the local Dr.'s are liars too.   *****rollingeyes*****
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2020, 03:05:17 pm »

What’s the worst that can happen to you  if you’re in 98.8 percentile of those infected? You have flu-like symptoms for a few or for several days? But, let’s all panic and shut down life.

State and national leaders have become psychotic post the Obama era of fundamental change, with no hope for recovery.

So all those ICU beds near capacity in the Houston Medical Center are faked?  Wow, didn't know that.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2020, 03:06:38 pm »

What’s the worst that can happen to you  if you’re in 98.8 percentile of those infected? You have flu-like symptoms for a few or for several days? But, let’s all panic and shut down life.

The fatalities (deaths) in my county is 0.01 of those infected, and that is with government number which are very suspect to begin with. So, you have a 1% chance of dying from this, IF you ever even get infected.

Cannot imagine why Abbott did this. But whatever caused him to make the call it was NOT 'science' and it was NOT the numbers. The press is presenting every 'positive case' or 'new case' as if it is a foregone fatality. However, only a very few of the people infected have any problem at all. And the ones who do usually have some preexisting condition which has nothing to do with COVID.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2020, 03:18:48 pm »
So all those ICU beds near capacity in the Houston Medical Center are faked?  Wow, didn't know that.  /s

I see your problem. Your area needs more ICU beds. But, that has nothing to do with mask wearing or the deliberate cutting back of normal economic activity and life in general.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2020, 03:18:56 pm »
The fatalities (deaths) in my county is 0.01 of those infected, and that is with government number which are very suspect to begin with. So, you have a 1% chance of dying from this, IF you ever even get infected.

Cannot imagine why Abbott did this. But whatever caused him to make the call it was NOT 'science' and it was NOT the numbers. The press is presenting every 'positive case' or 'new case' as if it is a foregone fatality. However, only a very few of the people infected have any problem at all. And the ones who do usually have some preexisting condition which has nothing to do with COVID.

We are pretty lucky in TX, as our Mortality Rate is just a tad over 1%, and in a "common sense" world, these masks are an affront to personal freedoms.  However, we all know that that virus' mutate, and we really don't know at any given moment what the level of impact and severity.  But people in general are stupid.  People in general do not have common sense.  If it keeps those idiots from spewing some droplets and infecting me?  I am all for it. 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2020, 03:22:52 pm »
I see your problem. Your area needs more ICU beds. But, that has nothing to do with mask wearing or the deliberate cutting back of normal economic activity and life in general.

Outside of bars, sporting events, and a few other exceptions.....   how is wearing a mask to protect a neighbor cutting back our economic activity?  None of the restaurants in my area closed.  Did you even read Abbott's proclamation? 

And btw, I do think Abbott would have been better served letting the mask decison to discretion of the Local County Judges.  So, he isn't perfect.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:29:34 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2020, 03:37:51 pm »
Outside of bars, sporting events, and a few other exceptions.....   how is wearing a mask to protect a neighbor cutting back our economic activity?  None of the restaurants in my area closed.  Did you even read Abbott's proclamation?

Sorry, I don’t care anymore. I’m out of the fear of covid game. If store keepers weren’t refusing me service without one, I’d never wear a mask.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2020, 03:41:34 pm »
Sorry, I don’t care anymore. I’m out of the fear of covid game. If store keepers weren’t refusing me service without one, I’d never wear a mask.

And I respect that choice.  I think you have the common sense not to spread it or put others at risk.    Others, not so much. 

I don't fear COVID, but OTOH, I, >60, and with a few "pre-existings",  don't want to tempt fate.   

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2020, 03:53:09 pm »
We are pretty lucky in TX, as our Mortality Rate is just a tad over 1%, and in a "common sense" world, these masks are an affront to personal freedoms.  However, we all know that that virus' mutate, and we really don't know at any given moment what the level of impact and severity.  But people in general are stupid.  People in general do not have common sense.  If it keeps those idiots from spewing some droplets and infecting me?  I am all for it.
Sure. But it is not like that. Unless you are wearing eye protection and gloves, a bandanna or paper mask does very, very, little in terms of preventing spread. I've seen people wearing the mask on their chin or under their nose. People in general are stupid. They think 'wearing a mask' is like a magic talisman which prevents the evil spirit COVID from touching them.

They wear a mask without even understanding the underlying principle or the point of it. These guys think if they 'wear a mask' around their neck like a necklace or on their wrist, then they are magically protected. Unless there are 'mask police' everywhere to not only check if you have a mask but also how you use it, then it is all a waste of time. Just recently I was in a store and the clerk had a mask. But, every time he spoke he pulled his mask down first, said what he had to say, and then diligently put it back on. Kind of defeats the whole point. But he didn't know that.

I feel like I am living in a Looney Tunes world these days. And I'm amazed at how many politicians actually think they are accomplishing anything with all this nonsense.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:44:58 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2020, 03:56:51 pm »
Sure. But it is not like that. Unless you are wearing eye protection and gloves, a banana or paper mask does very, very, little in terms of preventing spread. I've seen people wearing the mask on their chin or under their nose. People in general are stupid. They think 'wearing a mask' is like a magic talisman which prevents the evil spirit COVID from touching them.

They wear a mask without even understanding the underlying principle or the point of it. These guys think if they 'wear a mask' around their neck like a necklace or on their wrist, then they are magically protected. Unless there are 'mask police' everywhere to not only check if you have a mask but also how you use it, then it is all a waste of time. Just recently I was in a store and the clerk had a mask. But, every time he spoke he pulled his mask down first, said what he had to say, and then diligently put it back on. Kind of defeats the whole point. But he didn't know that.

I feel like I am living in a Looney Tunes world these days. And I'm amazed at how many politicians actually think they are accomplishing anything with all this nonsense.

The mask is intended to keep the individual from spreading droplets.....   not for their own personal protection  And again, one bad actor, like you eloquently mentioned kind of f's up the whole process.  If everyone had commons sense....   it would work

Offline aligncare

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2020, 04:04:38 pm »
Sure. But it is not like that. Unless you are wearing eye protection and gloves, a banana or paper mask does very, very, little in terms of preventing spread. I've seen people wearing the mask on their chin or under their nose. People in general are stupid. They think 'wearing a mask' is like a magic talisman which prevents the evil spirit COVID from touching them.

That pretty much captures my mood. In normal times I’m tired of the nanny state, but now it seems like nanny’s been taking steroids and telling me where to stand and which sports I cannot play until after a certain date.

I’ve had it up to here and I want them to stop micromanaging my life and business.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 04:37:01 pm »
And now they just officially cancelled The State Fair of Texas.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2020, 06:18:34 pm »
The mask is intended to keep the individual from spreading droplets.....   not for their own personal protection  And again, one bad actor, like you eloquently mentioned kind of f's up the whole process.  If everyone had commons sense....   it would work

Rush just now spoke about the ‘ICU beds near capacity in the Houston Medical Center,’ and shined a light of truth behind those numbers.

Only 15 percent of the at-90-percent capacity numbers are covid related. Eighty five percent represented elective procedures and other disease management cases that were delayed by covid fears and self isolation as doctors and hospitals restricted or closed access to operating rooms for an extended period.

In other words—my words—covid fear is just a convenient tool being used by politicians and media—not doctors—to control and influence the political currents and negatively impact the perception of the administration’s handling of the “threat.” It may not be overt complicity regarding your governor. But, fear definitely plays a role in which the media is complicit in spreading to near panic levels.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 06:48:57 pm »
Rush just now spoke about the ‘ICU beds near capacity in the Houston Medical Center,’ and shined a light of truth behind those numbers.

Only 15 percent of the at-90-percent capacity numbers are covid related. Eighty five percent represented elective procedures and other disease management cases that were delayed by covid fears and self isolation as doctors and hospitals restricted or closed access to operating rooms for an extended period.

In other words—my words—covid fear is just a convenient tool being used by politicians and media—not doctors—to control and influence the political currents and negatively impact the perception of the administration’s handling of the “threat.” It may not be overt complicity regarding your governor. But, fear definitely plays a role in which the media is complicit in spreading to near panic levels.

I listened in for a bit and found the statistics interesting and eye opening.  Hospitals in my county have also reported that ICU beds are at or near capacity.  However, no reports of how many of those beds are occupied by COVID patients. I am still concerned because normally this time of year there's usually room and in the almost 30 years I've been down here, this has never been reported as a problem.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2020, 07:08:02 pm »

Interesting update. Thanks.  Does make sense many of us, including myself have postponed routine Dr. visits.  Still even 15% is a pretty significant uptick for a serious commuicable disease.  OTOH, if I weren't >60, with pre-exisitings, I'd probably be more inclined not to worry.  I will still take precautions, and hopefully some asymptomaic carrier doesn't infrect me.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2020, 07:10:04 pm »
I listened in for a bit and found the statistics interesting and eye opening.  Hospitals in my county have also reported that ICU beds are at or near capacity.  However, no reports of how many of those beds are occupied by COVID patients. I am still concerned because normally this time of year there's usually room and in the almost 30 years I've been down here, this has never been reported as a problem.

Part of the problem is that these COVID-19 ICU stays are probably much much longer than other medical conditons.  That may be skewing the stats in that respect.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2020, 07:49:21 pm »
Part of the problem is that these COVID-19 ICU stays are probably much much longer than other medical conditons.  That may be skewing the stats in that respect.

They also have declared that at the current rate they will not run out of ICU beds until the end of the month - ICU beds are not a fixed resource. I ain't all that, but given THREE WEEKS??? I am pretty sure I could get two hundred more ICU beds ready in a few weeks time, without even trying that hard. To include staffing and financing.

AGAIN, you are not going to 'flatten the curve'... as predicted, all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable. The way you beat this thing is to beat the curve.

Online berdie

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2020, 09:01:29 pm »

That is the biggest part of the problem...length of stay for this disease.

Online berdie

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2020, 09:33:11 pm »
They also have declared that at the current rate they will not run out of ICU beds until the end of the month - ICU beds are not a fixed resource. I ain't all that, but given THREE WEEKS??? I am pretty sure I could get two hundred more ICU beds ready in a few weeks time, without even trying that hard. To include staffing and financing.

AGAIN, you are not going to 'flatten the curve'... as predicted, all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable. The way you beat this thing is to beat the curve.

@roamer_1  ya know I love ya to death...but the biggest problem is personelle available  to  treat folks.  I have friends in the medical profession that were fine when this whole thing started. That is not the case right now. I believe them far more than I do the news.

I know you are a proponent of herd immunity. But I'm not convinced in my mind that will work. I have raised cattle and horses...and chickens. If a devasting
disease hit...they died. One and all. There isn't enough known about this to make a definitive decision about what might happen. Past performance does not guarantee future results. As far as I know, there is no proven vaccine...like there is for many animal epidemics.

I appreciate that you are in a remote area...much like I am. But I really can't say that will work for people in congested areas.

I promised myself not to post on this subject again. I'm really not a nag. But here I am. OMGGGGGGG

Stay safe, amigo

Online roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 10:16:37 pm »

@roamer_1  ya know I love ya to death...but the biggest problem is personelle available  to  treat folks.  I have friends in the medical profession that were fine when this whole thing started. That is not the case right now. I believe them far more than I do the news.

No offense taken @berdie

Personnel are an easy fix. There are literally tons upon tons of medical personnel that ave been laid off because hospitals locked down and stopped elective anything... Our system up here laid off 600 people.

If it were mine to do, I would pass legislation, or an EO declaring first-responder and medical personnel licensing effectively valid nation-wide during emergencies, and draw those personnel from those outlying and unaffected areas where they are laid off and unable to work. This creates a vast resource pool, perhaps even whole teams, cohesive to each other and used to working together.

As workers fall to the virus, which is somewhat inevitable, bring in more... This allows affected workers time to recover and in the process, become immune... and those brought in will also eventually meet the same fate... Being immunized by the time they go home... This is called hardening your forces.

I know you are a proponent of herd immunity. But I'm not convinced in my mind that will work. I have raised cattle and horses...and chickens. If a devasting disease hit...they died. One and all. There isn't enough known about this to make a definitive decision about what might happen. Past performance does not guarantee future results. As far as I know, there is no proven vaccine...like there is for many animal epidemics.

Off the cuff, yes, herds do die off. But this is nowhere near a 'black plague', or any other real pandemic. We DO know that this disease is effectively fatal in around 1% of cases, and that number is going way down from there.

And generically, we do know about this disease. Corona has been known for a long long time... In fact, if you work with cattle or dogs you probably have a fair immunity built in already, because both carry corona. I am sure to have battled corona in myriad forms many times in my life.

And inevitably, it isn't that I am a proponent of herd immunity. It is that herd immunity is the natural state. As you said, there are no controls for this virus, and I will predict there never will be any, as with all fast morphing viruses, it will burn out long before a vaccine can be made.

So with all the whining and crying and throwing dirt in the air, reality asserts that herd immunity is all we got. So logic dictates that reaching that immunity as quickly as possible is what will protect the most folks and get this thing over with.

In fact, attempts to soften the impact by quarantining the nation does nothing. Nothing other than prolonging its presence, as even a fool can see. The longer folks are stuck in their homes, the more vectors they are exposed to, because the only quarantine that works is a perfect one... And no one is getting their foods and packaging irradiated... No one is wearing sufficient gear to protect them.

The obvious way forward, and the logical one, is to quarantine the sick as you find them, quarantine the susceptible that may court death (elderly, folks with disorders), and let it rip. Two weeks to a month later, it has gone, and folks can emerge, because the ACTIVE spreaders are all immune, and the more inactive folks will have very little chance of infection... Which is nothing more than the time honored way of dealing with these things, and the way that works most often. So DO what works. What's known to work FIRST, and worry about every other wild-ass idea later, especially since most of em will wind up not working anyway.

I appreciate that you are in a remote area...much like I am. But I really can't say that will work for people in congested areas.

There is nothing for it, as conditions already prove. Every place it has lit in congested areas it has lit up and gone through em like sh*t through a goose, and nothing they have done has contained it. It reaches herd immunity with or without their efforts, and largely their efforts have worsened things, not made them better.

I promised myself not to post on this subject again. I'm really not a nag. But here I am. OMGGGGGGG

Stay safe, amigo

S"Alight darlin. you couldn't piss me off if you tried. You're one of my favorite people. You stay safe too.   :beer: :seeya: