Author Topic: Walmart to turn 160 of its parking lots across US into drive-in theaters  (Read 1280 times)

Offline libertybele

I remember going to the drive-in as kid and teenager and even a few years after we were married.  I lived up north then.  I can't imagine going to the drive-in down in Florida -- too muggy and then there's the mosquitoes.  Perhaps during the winter months around here would work out perfectly.

Walmart to turn 160 of its parking lots across US into drive-in theaters

WFLA - Walmart is teaming up with Tribeca Enterprises to turn 160 of its store parking lots into drive-in movie theaters.

“Summer hasn’t really felt like summer yet, and I know I hear every day, ‘Mom, I’m bored!’” Janey Whiteside, Walmart’s chief customer officer, said in a statement. “Through our digital means and vast footprint of stores, we’re hoping to bring some summer fun to families across the country. We know Walmart plays a role in our communities that extends far beyond getting them necessary supplies, and we see that now more than ever.”

The drive-in tour is expected to begin in August and run through October — though Walmart said the details will be announced closer to the beginning of the tour........

.............“The Tribeca Drive-In is much more than a fun, retro way to see movies — it’s one of the safest ways for communities to gather,” said Jane Rosenthal, CEO and co-founder of Tribeca Enterprises and Tribeca Film Festival.

While the chosen locations have not been specified yet, Walmart said they will be using Walmart Supercenters across the United States.

They are also making movie snack purchasing easier by providing the opportunity to order drive-in essentials online for curbside pickup on the way to the movie, the retail giant said in a press release. .............

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/42321025/walmart-to-turn-160-of-its-parking-lots-across-us-into-drivein-theaters
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Well hot damn! I miss drive-ins.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

We've already been doing this... and now WallyWorld is moving in on my action...  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Axeslinger

From the article:
“ Walmart also announced the creation of Camp by Walmart, an online camp for kids. Celebrities including Drew Barrymore, Neil Patrick Harris, LeBron James, Idina Menzel and Todd Oldham will serve as camp counselors, “leading kids through sessions varying from arts and crafts to fitness and other activities to keep them active and entertained.”

Lemme sign right up to have Doogie and a flamer fashion designer be a counselor to my kids
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
888high58888

2020 sure has twisted our lives in ways previously unimaginable.  What was old is new again.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

2020 sure has twisted our lives in ways previously unimaginable.  What was old is new again.

We'll see how this works out.  One of the first things though the occurred to me is in this day and age going to the drive-in may not be as safe as it used to be.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
From the article:
“ Walmart also announced the creation of Camp by Walmart, an online camp for kids. Celebrities including Drew Barrymore, Neil Patrick Harris, LeBron James, Idina Menzel and Todd Oldham will serve as camp counselors, “leading kids through sessions varying from arts and crafts to fitness and other activities to keep them active and entertained.”

Lemme sign right up to have Doogie and a flamer fashion designer be a counselor to my kids

I think Doogie was about as flaming as it got too.

Back on subject... Not a bad idea (using parking space you already have) ... Now if we can get Hollywood to turn out a movie actually worth watching will be the hard part.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:14:14 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Neat idea, but sitting in a car in SE Texas in the middle of July for two hours is not one of the most comfortable ways to spend an evening.

October might be fun though.... 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

Neat idea, but sitting in a car in SE Texas in the middle of July for two hours is not one of the most comfortable ways to spend an evening.

October might be fun though....

Sitting here in SWFL I'm thinking the same thing - about November - May should be fine though.

Offline libertybele

Back on subject... Not a bad idea (using parking space you already have) ... Now if we can get Hollywood to turn out a movie actually worth watching will be the hard part.

888high58888  Isn't that the truth.  We haven't seen a really good movie in a long time.  Also a lot of movies these days are less than 2 hours -- 90 minutes seems to be about it.  2 hours or more used to be standard. What the heck happened to that??

Offline Applewood

888high58888  Isn't that the truth.  We haven't seen a really good movie in a long time.  Also a lot of movies these days are less than 2 hours -- 90 minutes seems to be about it.  2 hours or more used to be standard. What the heck happened to that??

Audiences' short attention spans.  Plus there is an economic benefit to the studios.  A longer movie costs more money to make.  Theaters benefit from the turnover.  More show times means more people coming in and spending their money.

Offline libertybele

Audiences' short attention spans.  Plus there is an economic benefit to the studios.  A longer movie costs more money to make.  Theaters benefit from the turnover.  More show times means more people coming in and spending their money.

I get that-- anymore I won't bother to watch a movie shorter than 2 hours, nor venture out to the theater (not that there open right now) to see a 90 minute movie.

Offline Applewood

I get that-- anymore I won't bother to watch a movie shorter than 2 hours, nor venture out to the theater (not that there open right now) to see a 90 minute movie.

I haven't been to a theater in ages.  Last time I went it cost $10 to get in, but I'm sure it's a lot more now.  Plus as you said, there really isn't any new movie out there worth paying a fortune to see.  There are so many good old movies one can see from the comfort of home.

I remember when drive-ins were all the rage.  We used to have dozens of them around my neck of the woods.  I think there is only one left, but maybe with the virus, drive-ins will be making a comeback and those glittery, overpriced multiplexes will go away.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Somehow I just don't think Walmart parking lots can recapture the drive thru experience for me. Especially since that experience was steaming up the windows with my future wife and really didn't have anything to do with movies, especially since my parents never once took us to a drive in.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Maybe they could show classics...

...like Gone With the Wind...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline AL

Drive Ins were fun, much better than theatre's.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Lots of Wal-Marts are in Dim-controlled territory.

Can't wait to see what happens when the parking lots fill full of "Hom bois" on the prowl in the dark.

If you listen closely,you can almost hear the lawyers assembling.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dancer

We'll see how this works out.  One of the first things though the occurred to me is in this day and age going to the drive-in may not be as safe as it used to be.
Good point, libertybele. I won't be going to my local Walmart drive-in.  It's surrounded by Budget Suites.  'Nuf said.

Offline goatprairie

. "Now if we can get Hollywood to turn out a movie actually worth watching will be the hard part."

Stole my response. In the old days the majority of movies cranked out by Hollyweird were not that great. Maybe 50% were worth watching.
Today the percentage of bad flicks has upped dramatically. I'd say 95% of today's movies aren't worth watching.
The wife and I get HBO and Showtime, so we do watch some of the latest "great" movies that come along. Most of them are mediocre at best, and a number are just bad. Too much computer gimmickry and SJW plots.  And seeing 100 lb soaking wet females tossing around  260 lb males just makes my blood boil.

Online roamer_1

And seeing 100 lb soaking wet females tossing around  260 lb males just makes my blood boil.

LOL! Yeah, that's a hoot! And she's short on words, swears like a muleskinner and all he wants to do is talk about his feelings. ROTFLMAO!!!

Online Smokin Joe

LOL! Yeah, that's a hoot! And she's short on words, swears like a muleskinner and all he wants to do is talk about his feelings. ROTFLMAO!!!
Oh, come on. You you know those hulking slackjaws were just asking for it.... *****rollingeyes*****

42 guys with automatic weapons (which never need reloading, except for 'dialogue') can't hit the opposite wall, and the heroine pops them with three headshots. *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes*****

Not to mention what has become gratuitous alphabet scenes (GLBTQXYZ)... *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes***** :3:

I'd dig out the VHS and watch Dr. Zhivago, but with the current Commie uprising... :shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

I'm a person who has heard a lot of bad words in my 70 years including the eff word. One close friend couldn't go two sentences without using it. I told him I'd buy him a steak dinner if he could go one week without using the word. He couldn't go a few hours much less one week.
In today's movies apparently the people who make the movies believe everybody uses it. Even in mixed company.
I've been in few situations where somebody used it in mixed company. I been in numerous situations with just male company and never heard it uttered.
Maybe the new generations use it prolifically. But I still don't hear it used nearly as much as they use it the flicks.

Online Smokin Joe

I'm a person who has heard a lot of bad words in my 70 years including the eff word. One close friend couldn't go two sentences without using it. I told him I'd buy him a steak dinner if he could go one week without using the word. He couldn't go a few hours much less one week.
In today's movies apparently the people who make the movies believe everybody uses it. Even in mixed company.
I've been in few situations where somebody used it in mixed company. I been in numerous situations with just male company and never heard it uttered.
Maybe the new generations use it prolifically. But I still don't hear it used nearly as much as they use it the flicks.
I have seen a few potty mouths, often young girls who somehow think you can't hear them. (The hair may be gray, but the ears still work!)

It makes me wonder, though, what they say when they are really mad?

It's nice to save something for when I am extremely aggravated.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

42 guys with automatic weapons (which never need reloading, except for 'dialogue') can't hit the opposite wall, and the heroine pops them with three headshots. *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes*****

Yeah... in tight leather and stupid heels no less!