Author Topic: Citing racial bias, San Francisco will end mug shots release  (Read 468 times)

Offline corbe

Citing racial bias, San Francisco will end mug shots release

9:33 AM PDT Jul 1, 2020

By Olga R. Rodriguez

SAN FRANCISCO —
San Francisco police will stop releasing the mug shots of people who have been arrested unless they pose a threat to the public, as part of an effort to stop perpetuating racial stereotypes, the city's police chief announced Wednesday.

San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said the policy, which goes into effect immediately, means the department will no longer release booking photos of suspects to the media or allow officers to post them online.

Booking photos are taken when someone is arrested. They are often made public whether or not the person is prosecuted for the alleged crime, which undermines the presumption of innocence and helps perpetuate stereotypes.

Jack Glaser, a public policy professor at the University of California Berkeley who researches racial stereotyping and whose work Scott consulted, said data shows Black people who are arrested are more likely to have their cases dismissed by prosecutors.

But the mug shots live on.

<..snip..>

https://www.kcra.com/article/citing-racial-bias-san-francisco-end-mug-shots-release/33023217#
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EdinVA

Re: Citing racial bias, San Francisco will end mug shots release
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:33 pm »
I was never comfortable with mug shots being released...
They have not been found guilty of anything at that point...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Citing racial bias, San Francisco will end mug shots release
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:15:25 am »
I was never comfortable with mug shots being released...
They have not been found guilty of anything at that point...
True. Better to see their facebook posts and watch them committing the crime.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis