Author Topic: Mississippi legislature starts process to change state's flag  (Read 684 times)

Online corbe

Mississippi legislature starts process to change state's flag

By Kay Jones, James Froio and Kelly Mena, CNN

Updated 7:12 PM ET, Sat June 27, 2020

(CNN)The Mississippi state legislature -- both the House and Senate -- passed a resolution on Saturday that will begin the process to change the state's flag.

The newly passed resolution suspends the rules so that lawmakers can consider a bill that would change or remove the flag. First, the Mississippi House of Representatives passed the measure in a vote of 85-34 amid loud cheers in the chamber, followed by the Senate in a vote of 36-14.

The passage of the measure in both chambers now leads the way for a bill to be proposed and passed to allow for the change of the state flag. The bill is expected to be taken up on Sunday afternoon, when both the House and Senate go back into session.

Mississippi is the last state in the country whose flag features the Confederate emblem. The state flag features red, white and blue stripes with the Confederate battle emblem in the corner. It was first adopted in 1894.

<..snip..>

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/27/politics/mississippi-confederate-flag-vote/index.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Mississippi legislature starts process to change state's flag
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 11:37:22 pm »
You think this will stop them?

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 04:09:10 am »
   Screw em.

I'd be for them going with 13 stars, if they have the cajones, or even one, like Texas (different bars). 

Mississippians are a very Proud bunch, and rightly so.*

*Even though one of you Bi1ches put a VooDoo hex on me (when I lived in Nawlins).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 04:20:34 am »
They'll find something racist about every State Flag.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 05:44:05 am »
In 2001  this (flag change) was last brought up in MS, it was left to the voters to decide.  64%  voted in the referendum to retain the CBF in the state flag.   These legislative cowards are bypassing this process this time without voter input apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 02:08:28 pm »
In 2001  this (flag change) was last brought up in MS, it was left to the voters to decide.  64%  voted in the referendum to retain the CBF in the state flag.   These legislative cowards are bypassing this process this time without voter input apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi

I have no affinity for the confederate flag, however, placating these dirtbags will only alienate your core voters, and you'll still be called a racist in the end anyway.