Author Topic: Rough polling stretch has GOP operatives asking: Could Trump drop out?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Absalom

Gee ... I recall an excellent State of the Union and economy before COVID -- Trump handled it remarkably well and of course the DEMS have politicized it ... the economy is slowly coming back ... but this virus is unpredictable.  Not quite sure how you can compare this to Hoover's economy, certainly he wasn't faced with a pandemic.
Then we have Slow Joe who doesn't even know where he is some days ...
Heck of a choice isn't it?
Oh, I'm not one that nominated Trump ... but I sure as heck wouldn't vote for Biden.
------------------------------
The catastrophic impact of the Great War led directly to the Great Depression of 1929.
As a result, Hoover suffered a massive landslide defeat to FDR.
The catastrophic impact of the Wuhan Pandemic is still pervasive and will effect the election
of any and all in positions of power and for a very basic reason:
PEOPLE VOTE THEIR SELF INTEREST FIRST, LAST AND IN BETWEEN!!!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The catastrophic impact of the Great War led directly to the Great Depression of 1929.
The catastrophic impact of the Wuhan Pandemic is still pervasive and will effect the election
Considering self- interest, how is that served by electing the crowd of do-nothings who let cities burn? Does this represent ordinary people's interest of any color, to have their businesses burned?
It was democrats who let that happen (Trump could do little or nothing because his hands are tied, constitutionally).

All that destruction is on the Dems.

He needs to point that out. While they were taking a knee wearing kente cloths of the Ashante (the tribe that sold blacks into slavery), he was trying to take care of business.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

Considering self- interest, how is that served by electing the crowd of do-nothings who let cities burn? Does this represent ordinary people's interest of any color, to have their businesses burned?
It was democrats who let that happen (Trump could do little or nothing because his hands are tied, constitutionally).
All that destruction is on the Dems.
He needs to point that out. While they were taking a knee wearing kente cloths of the Ashante (the tribe that sold blacks into slavery), he was trying to take care of business.
----------------------------
Smokin, point accepted.
This is where reputation is paramount.
As MachIavelli asserted "It's far better the Prince be feared rather than loved."
Were this the case w/Trump, I doubt this urban chaos would have exploded as it has.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
----------------------------
Smokin, point accepted.
This is where reputation is paramount.
As MachIavelli asserted "It's far better the Prince be feared rather than loved."
Were this the case w/Trump, I doubt this urban chaos would have exploded as it has.
I have little doubt the various legal minds behind the scenes have studied the issue, on BOTH sides.
A Prince has the power to pretty much deal with things as they please.
Not so the POTUS.
Short of them operating on Federal Land, or attacking Federal Monuments, there is little Trump can do if a few blocks go up.
No more than he can make blanket rules for the COVID-19 outbreak for small jurisdictions, can he send in the uninvited presence of the National Guard.

If you recall, even hurricane aid, staged outside Louisiana after Katrina, was stalled until the Governor requested help.
So it is with rioters. The regular military is subject to The Posse Comitatus Act, so that's out, too.

The Media may try to make it out that he did nothing, (sort of a Nero fiddling while Rome burned), but legally he could not do anything except on Federal Land and with Federal Buildings and Monuments, and IF HE HAD, you know that the MSM would have been all over him for violating Federal Law and the Constitution, and the new, improved, lemon scented  Articles of Impeachment were probably open on someone's machine, waiting for a few blanks to be filled in.

The chaos was paid for, orchestrated, and agitated, and not nearly so spontaneous as it is presented, and not always a product of the people named in the graffiti. Only the useful idiots went in for some looting and burning, caught up in the mob fever.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Didn't the Great War/flu pandemic lead to a ten-year period of massive prosperity? Much like the late 1940s and World War II, the Roaring Twenties were fueled by Europe tearing the crap out of itself and having to rely on still-healthy American industry to keep the world running. President Coolidge managed to use that to balance the budget, one of the few Presidents to do so.

Warren Harding ran his 1920 campaign on a "return to normalcy" after the disasters of Wilson's left-wing reign. He and his successor Coolidge achieved that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dancer

Yeah, I remember.
But I also remember a sitting president crisscrossing the country imploring voters that the election was explicitly a referendum on him and to vote accordingly. That, with a booming economy, should have been more than enough to overcome any Democratic subterfuge.

And, Democrat politicians hiding their extremism does not explain why minorities turned out in record numbers during a midterm. Remember how pathetic Obama used to look begging his vaunted coalition to show up for midterm elections? (Don't boo, vote!"). Who/What motivated them to come out like they did?

As far as gaining seats in the Senate, you're right--Florida, that's a good pickup.
You have to remember that 34 Republicans stepped down before the '18 elections.  That definitely skewed numbers because people were unsure of those replacement contenders.

Offline dancer

That was when Trump's poll numbers were good and the economy was humming along.
His numbers are still stellar among Republicans.

Offline Absalom

Didn't the Great War/flu pandemic lead to a ten-year period of massive prosperity? Much like the late 1940s and World War II, the Roaring Twenties were fueled by Europe tearing the crap out of itself and having to rely on still-healthy American industry to keep the world running. President Coolidge managed to use that to balance the budget, one of the few Presidents to do so.
Warren Harding ran his 1920 campaign on a "return to normalcy" after the disasters of Wilson's left-wing reign. He and his successor Coolidge achieved that.
---------------------------
Fuller, all true enough yet another perspective.
The impact of the Great War on the psyche of Europe was as horrific as its casualties,
since their way of life was disrupted forever; its civilians embittered and alienated,
creating a fertile landscape for the likes of Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin and others
Predictably, war survivors sought distraction, diversion, and escape; the Roaring Twenties
in the USA being symptomatic.
Yet the War had effectively destroyed the fundamental underpinnings of many economies
which became increasingly apparent as the years passed and trade balances eroded.
I'm suggesting that the 'prosperity of the Jazz Age' was largely a mirage, self created to
blur the reality of the War in the minds of those who lived through that period..
Further, the harshness of Great Depression was a function of how badly national economies
had been disrupted by the War.
Anyway, that's my take.

Offline dfwgator

You have to remember that 34 Republicans stepped down before the '18 elections.  That definitely skewed numbers because people were unsure of those replacement contenders.

I see it as getting rid of the deadweight, like "blowing up the team" in sports.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I see it as getting rid of the deadweight, like "blowing up the team" in sports.
Being from the Buffalo area, I can say with confidence that "blowing up the team" invariably leads to decades of futility.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024