Author Topic: Orange County Democrats call for John Wayne Airport to be renamed  (Read 433 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Orange County Democrats call for John Wayne Airport to be renamed
By Kaelan Deese - 06/27/20 12:52 PM EDT

Democratic officials in Orange County, Calif., are calling for John Wayne Airport to be renamed amid resurfacing racial comments the late Western movie star made decades ago.

On Friday, the Democratic Party of Orange County passed a resolution condemning the Duke for his past "racist and bigoted statements" he made during an interview with "Playboy" in 1971, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The resolution called for the Orange County Board of Supervisors to remove Wayne's name, statue, and other likenesses from the international airport and "restore its original name: Orange County Airport."

"There have been past efforts to get this done and now we're putting our name and our backing into this to make sure there is a name change," said Ada Briceño, chair of the Democratic Party of Orange County.

The resolution states that Wayne's removal is part of a much larger movement to remove "white supremacist symbols and names [that are] reshaping American institutions, monuments, businesses, nonprofits, sports leagues, and teams," according to the resolution document.

"It is widely recognized that racist symbols produce lasting physical and psychological stress and trauma particularly to Black communities, people of color and other oppressed groups," the resolution said, adding Orange County is more diverse than in 1979 when the airport was christened under Wayne's name.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/504846-orange-county-democrats-call-for-john-wayne-airport-to-be-renamed
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Orange County Democrats call for John Wayne Airport to be renamed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 05:09:24 pm »
They've gone too far now!!! 9999hair out0000
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 05:31:07 pm »
They've gone too far now!!! 9999hair out0000
Unfortunately, there is no longer a 'too far' when one succumbs to this type of PC crap.

We will be seeing New York renaming itself as it is named after one of the slave traders who owned the Royal African Company, the Duke of York.

There is no end if it is not stopped, NOW.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 06:59:38 pm »
It may be years since the last time these racists tried this but I think they will find that there is still a whole lot of love for the Duke in O.C.

I suggest all democrats refuse to fly out of the airport if they are so disgusted, it's a short drive to L.A. after all or San Diego or Ontario.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 07:19:27 pm »
Dad's sister lived in Orange County and I remember she was one of those who pushed to have the airport named for Wayne.  She also helped fight off an attempt some years later to have the name removed. 

She's passed on now, but I think she would be livid if this effort to remove Wayne's name from the airport succeeds.  For people of her generation in particular, John Wayne was an American hero. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 07:51:46 pm »
This is why Barry Goldwater, in his final wishes, asked that nothing be named after him.  He knew eventually some leftists would create a fight to strip his name, so he didn't want it up in the first place.  For about a week after his death, the City of Phoenix had renamed the airport for him, but his family threw a fit and they promptly took it off.  It remains "Sky Harbor" to this day.  There will never be a Goldwater Mountain.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 08:03:25 pm »
John Wayne, the icon of what is good about America has his airport naming stripped, while an avowed Communist like MLK's has monuments and statues speading  like wildfire. 

This country is lost.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 08:09:04 pm »
John Wayne, the icon of what is good about America has his airport naming stripped, while an avowed Communist like MLK's has monuments and statues speading  like wildfire. 

This country is lost.

OTOH, I approve of the renaming of all those streets after MLK because I can now tell by looking at a map what areas I need to be careful driving around.   :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: