Author Topic: Russian GRU unit paid bounties to Afghan militants for killing U.S. troops  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
OK, so here we are.  The President has denied it.  This is a matter of National Security and a serious accusation was made.  Trump always talks about Fake News trying to bring him down.  Certainly this would be a serious attempt to affect our National Elections.  To undermine the Presidents Foreign policy.  To cause national concern and outrage.  To place questions in the minds of families that lost relatives in Afghanistan as to whether they were killed with Russian money?

Where do we go from here:

The article was specific.

American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan

I will not believe that this is a lie if the president doesn't do something about it.  If he doesn't file a Federal Lawsuit.  If there is no investigation into who these American intelligence officials are.   If this is a lie it is not journalism protected by the Constitution.  It is in itself Treason and should be handled accordingly.  We can't have this. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Charlie Savage

@charlie_savage
·
8h

Reports that a Russian intelligence unit paid Taliban fighters to kill coalition troops in Afghanistan are true, British security officials have confirmed to Sky News. The news, first published on Friday evening by NYT, is "on the nose" according to source briefed on the matter.
Q

Russia offered Taliban-linked fighters bounties to attack British troops - as senior Tory MP seeks answers

Alistair Bunkall, defence and security correspondent
Sky News28 June 2020
A senior Conservative MP is seeking an urgent question in the Commons on Monday about an alleged plot that a Russian intelligence unit offered Taliban-linked fighters bounties to kill coalition troops in Afghanistan.

British security officials have confirmed to Sky News that the reports about the plot are true.

If Tobias Ellwood, chair of the House of Commons Defence Select Committee, is granted his urgent question, it will require a government minister to respond in person.

Mr Ellwood told Sky News: "I think it's completely unacceptable that a fellow permanent member of the UN Security Council is now seen to be training and supplying arms to the very militia that has prevented peaceful conclusions to this decade-old conflict (in Afghanistan).
"So serious is this that I'll be seeking an urgent question on Monday and will be encouraging the UK to raise this matter at the UN and indeed our NATO allies."

Mr Ellwood said the Russia allegations in Afghanistan offer a reminder of the need to reconstitute a committee of MPs that scrutinises the work of the UK's intelligence and security services and has the power to release a long-awaited report into alleged Russian meddling in the UK.

He said: "Let's get that intelligence and security committee up and running, let's publish the overdue Russia report, let's make it very, very clear that it is simply unacceptable for a member of the UN security council to place bounties on US and UK heads."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-paid-taliban-fighters-attack-british-troops-afghanistan-231000724.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vc2VhcmNoP3E9K0JyaXRpc2grc2VjdXJpdHkrb2ZmaWNpYWxzK2hhdmUrY29uZmlybWVkK3RvK1NreStOZXdzK1J1c3NpYStwYWlkK1RhbGliYW4rdG8ra2lsbCtVLlMuK1Ryb29wcyZmb3JtPUVETlRIVCZyZWZpZz01Zjc5NTAwNzY3ZDU0NTdlYmRiYWEzZDBjOTUwODkzZCZta3Q9ZW4tdXMmbXNuZXdzPTEmUEM9TENUUyZzcD0tMSZwcT1icml0aXNoK3NlY3VyaXR5K29mZmljaWFscytoYXZlK2NvbmZpcm1lZCt0bytza3krbmV3cytydXNzaWErcGFpZCt0JnNjPTAtNjcmcXM9biZzaz0mY3ZpZD01Zjc5NTAwNzY3ZDU0NTdlYmRiYWEzZDBjOTUwODkzZA&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANJ9cRc6fgx8_A7C9nhtUSA-6iGN7JnygrLR0xuj3a2VwHBqOPJpnx0wyLoIwfSk841kXXc2dpwZYi23YYJMFuq1321ZFxPeRzXpAw5oVvt57h545isOzlCoHOlxpjOn5oR7F5kOrRn-BzdoNHJUAfGSCdkwHDAqNXEzVIt_kC98

I guess our news has to come from Britain to be confirmed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:36:49 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline LMAO

Well if this is true (I state if true), then Trump is in deep s**t.

Especially if we find out he was aware of this
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

Charlie Savage

@charlie_savage
·
8h

Reports that a Russian intelligence unit paid Taliban fighters to kill coalition troops in Afghanistan are true, British security officials have confirmed to Sky News. The news, first published on Friday evening by NYT, is "on the nose" according to source briefed on the matter.
Q

Russia offered Taliban-linked fighters bounties to attack British troops - as senior Tory MP seeks answers

Alistair Bunkall, defence and security correspondent
Sky News28 June 2020
A senior Conservative MP is seeking an urgent question in the Commons on Monday about an alleged plot that a Russian intelligence unit offered Taliban-linked fighters bounties to kill coalition troops in Afghanistan.

British security officials have confirmed to Sky News that the reports about the plot are true.

If Tobias Ellwood, chair of the House of Commons Defence Select Committee, is granted his urgent question, it will require a government minister to respond in person.

Mr Ellwood told Sky News: "I think it's completely unacceptable that a fellow permanent member of the UN Security Council is now seen to be training and supplying arms to the very militia that has prevented peaceful conclusions to this decade-old conflict (in Afghanistan).
"So serious is this that I'll be seeking an urgent question on Monday and will be encouraging the UK to raise this matter at the UN and indeed our NATO allies."

Mr Ellwood said the Russia allegations in Afghanistan offer a reminder of the need to reconstitute a committee of MPs that scrutinises the work of the UK's intelligence and security services and has the power to release a long-awaited report into alleged Russian meddling in the UK.

He said: "Let's get that intelligence and security committee up and running, let's publish the overdue Russia report, let's make it very, very clear that it is simply unacceptable for a member of the UN security council to place bounties on US and UK heads."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-paid-taliban-fighters-attack-british-troops-afghanistan-231000724.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vc2VhcmNoP3E9K0JyaXRpc2grc2VjdXJpdHkrb2ZmaWNpYWxzK2hhdmUrY29uZmlybWVkK3RvK1NreStOZXdzK1J1c3NpYStwYWlkK1RhbGliYW4rdG8ra2lsbCtVLlMuK1Ryb29wcyZmb3JtPUVETlRIVCZyZWZpZz01Zjc5NTAwNzY3ZDU0NTdlYmRiYWEzZDBjOTUwODkzZCZta3Q9ZW4tdXMmbXNuZXdzPTEmUEM9TENUUyZzcD0tMSZwcT1icml0aXNoK3NlY3VyaXR5K29mZmljaWFscytoYXZlK2NvbmZpcm1lZCt0bytza3krbmV3cytydXNzaWErcGFpZCt0JnNjPTAtNjcmcXM9biZzaz0mY3ZpZD01Zjc5NTAwNzY3ZDU0NTdlYmRiYWEzZDBjOTUwODkzZA&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANJ9cRc6fgx8_A7C9nhtUSA-6iGN7JnygrLR0xuj3a2VwHBqOPJpnx0wyLoIwfSk841kXXc2dpwZYi23YYJMFuq1321ZFxPeRzXpAw5oVvt57h545isOzlCoHOlxpjOn5oR7F5kOrRn-BzdoNHJUAfGSCdkwHDAqNXEzVIt_kC98

I guess our news has to come from Britain to be confirmed.

Yahoo News.   *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Catherine Herridge
@CBS_Herridge

DEVELOPING: A senior intel official tells @CBSNews the GRU/Taliban bounty allegations were not contained in the President's Daily Brief (PDB) which is the highly classified, daily summary of national security issues delivered to the President, key cabinet secretaries + advisers..

The official confirmed the NSC has been doing “due diligence,” and going back through their files since the story broke Friday, and they have not found the “intelligence assessment” described in media reporting.  The official said the review is ongoing, but given current...

talks with the Taliban, intel about a GRU operation involving the Taliban, targeting US forces would have risen to the level of inclusion in the PDB.   @CBSNews

3:56 PM · Jun 28, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/CBS_Herridge/status/1277329946541805569

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Always favor stories on the NYT with anonymous sources, and nobody else in the room.

A big winner with TDS members here, hell bent to find fault with Trump, real or imagined.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Always favor stories on the NYT with anonymous sources, and nobody else in the room.

A big winner with TDS members here, hell bent to find fault with Trump, real or imagined.

They make me puke.  Sorry lot. 

But hey....we're not an echo chamber, right?  RIGHT??   /s
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

It certainly seems to be their main objective in this forum.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

They make me puke.  Sorry lot. 

But hey....we're not an echo chamber, right?  RIGHT??   /s

Nope not an echo chamber, but most of us don't go out of our way spending countless hours posting anything and everything even remotely negative about Trump and then will diligently argue that there's no way that the information can be false.  After all, those "anonymous" sources have to be reliable. RIGHT??  I've heard that the "anonymous" sources are more reliable than reporting  "sources said".

Offline Applewood

Well, I guess now that Trump has denied it, his supporters have permission to call the story fake news.   What's it like to have to wait for the master to tell you what to think and what to say?

By the way, the story from Catherine Herridge at CBS cited by @Right_in_Virginia above quotes an anonymous source also.  But I guess you believe that one because it's favorable to Trump. 

Whether this story about bounties is true and whether Trump knew about it or not -- it certainly merits investigation.  I am not going to take Trump's word or the word of the Russians or the Taliban that it never happened. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:52:38 pm by Chosen Daughter »

By the way, the story from Catherine Herridge at CBS cited by @Right_in_Virginia above quotes an anonymous source also.   

It comes down to reputation @Applewood

Catherine Herridge has cultivated a reputation over decades of reporting that is trustworthy .... the New York Times has done the opposite.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Well, I guess now that Trump has denied it, his supporters have permission to call the story fake news.   What's it like to have to wait for the master to tell you what to think and what to say?

By the way, the story from Catherine Herridge at CBS cited by @Right_in_Virginia above quotes an anonymous source also.  But I guess you believe that one because it's favorable to Trump. 

Whether this story about bounties is true and whether Trump knew about it or not -- it certainly merits investigation.  I am not going to take Trump's word or the word of the Russians or the Taliban that it never happened.

Me either.  Today Trump posts a video of a guy chanting white power and Trump says he didn't see it.   Didn't see it.  Didn't get it.  Not responsible for my own actions Trump.

This allegation by the New York Times is serious.  It can't be wiped away by denying it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:56:17 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Catherine Herridge has cultivated a reputation over decades of reporting that is trustworthy .... the New York Times has done the opposite.

CBS?

Thanks I knew I remembered the name.  I couldn't place the face.  I remember her.  She was a big war correspondence on FOX during Bush Administration. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:13:44 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline libertybele

I don't consider myself a Trump supporter, nor am I saying he should be given a free pass on this.  There are members who seem to spend countless hours surfing the net for anything that is even remotely negative about Trump and post it.  It has become their sole purpose for participating in this forum and it seems to be their obsession.

For the past 3 years it has become typical of the left to fabricate accusations; just ask Nancy, she has made her "smear tactics" common place.  The DEM way is to deceive, accuse, lie and deny.  They haven't just launched those campaigns against Trump but others on the right that they want out of the way as well.

I am definitely not saying that everything is fake news, but the MSM has been noted for their unreliability and biased reporting for a reason.  Most reporters don't seem to be journalists anymore, they are merely reporting on issues in a way to sway sentiment and to complete a political agenda.

Most people can connect the dots after awhile and some are so bent on trying to condemn this president that they don't even see the dots.

There are unanswered questions still in my mind about Trump, but I can still identify the leftist b.s.

The NSC has said there is no intelligence supporting the claims in the NYT and nothing remotely resembling the claims was included in any Daily Briefing to the President because ... wait for it ... there was no intelligence to report.

Does this carry any weight with you @Applewood ?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:05:44 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, dagnabit, I'm shocked. SInce the Chinese advisors to the NOrth Koreans and the Soviets flying Mig Alley (Korean War), there has been a proxy war going on over wherever we have a proxy war.

Silly to think otherwise, when we sent Manpads (Stinger missiles) to the Mujahedin, to shoot down Soviet Helicopters in the 'Stan, way back when.

After all, the Soviets can't have us succeed where they did not.

But even better would be the propaganda victory of saying something was happening when it wasn't.
After all, we know the NYT is so accurate. (yes!--that last bit is sarcasm)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:10:36 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

@Right_in_Virginia   

CBS News.  Home of the fake George Bush military records.

Sorry, but in my view if one story based on anonymous sources is suspect, then all of them are.

Offline Applewood

The NSC has said there is no intelligence supporting the claims in the NYT and nothing remotely resembling the claims was included in any Daily Briefing to the President because ... wait for it ... there was no intelligence to report.

Does this carry any weight with you @Applewood ?

@Right_in_Virginia

These days I'm suspicious of everyone. 

This is why I believe the whole matter should be investigated. 

@Right_in_Virginia

These days I'm suspicious of everyone. 

This is why I believe the whole matter should be investigated.

You trust no one @Applewood  So who would you recommend lead this "investigation"?

@Right_in_Virginia   

CBS News.  Home of the fake George Bush military records.

I said nothing about CBS News @Applewood   The trustworthy reputation is Catherine Herridge's --- regardless of where she is based.  She has earned it.

Offline aligncare

Afghan militants taking money from Russia.

And you thought killing Americans was just a pastime with them?  Hey, somebody’s gotta pay the rent, and baby needs new shoes. /s

So Deep State says identify a scandal, magnify the scandal, call CBS and NYT. They’ll handle the rest.

Does anybody know—I lost track after the slippery slope/shoes incident—how many coup attempts does this make now? Will Schiff announce he has iron clad evidence then begin lying, er, begin hearings? Will Pelosi turn out to be a military hawk; outraged—if true? Will CNN do a naked conga line out the door? We got him now!

:yawn2:

Offline Chosen Daughter

I said nothing about CBS News @Applewood   The trustworthy reputation is Catherine Herridge's --- regardless of where she is based.  She has earned it.

Doesn't fit.  She isn't a 9/11 Conspiracy truther like Trump.

Offline libertybele

Afghan militants taking money from Russia.

And you thought killing Americans was just a pastime with them?  Hey, somebody’s gotta pay the rent, and baby needs new shoes. /s

So Deep State says identify a scandal, magnify the scandal, call CBS and NYT. They’ll handle the rest.

Does anybody know—I lost track after the slippery slope/shoes incident—how many coup attempts does this make now? Will Schiff announce he has iron clad evidence then begin lying, er, begin hearings? Will Pelosi turn out to be a military hawk; outraged—if true? Will CNN do a naked conga line out the door? We got him now!

:yawn2:

No way ... another DEM fabricated scandal....say it isn't so?    *****rollingeyes*****

Offline dfwgator

No way ... another DEM fabricated scandal....say it isn't so?    *****rollingeyes*****

This time with help from the GOPe.