Author Topic: Florida governor under fire over claims state is 'cooking the books' on Covid-19  (Read 896 times)

Offline libertybele

Well, I'm sure that there are as many cases as being reported as we have quite a few areas to be tested and we have rapid testing in the hospitals with results back in a couple of hours. Cooking the books?  Well, that's possible ... but he's been less than honest about other issues; namely unemployment, so I'm no longer buying what he's selling.

My opinion; he should have stood his ground and not shut down the entire state AND kept the hot spots closed until they started to see a decline. He didn't do that.  Now we're seeing the results.

Florida governor under fire over claims state is 'cooking the books' on Covid-19

Republican Florida governor Ron DeSantis’s faltering response to soaring new coronavirus numbers in his state is descending into acrimony, after an accusation his administration is “cooking the books” in an effort to hide the true impact of the devastating pandemic.
More than 20m Americans could have contracted Covid-19, experts say
Read more

The claim from the state’s former leading Covid-19 data scientist comes as Florida smashed its own one-day record for new cases of the disease on Friday with 8,942, after two successive days above 5,000 – by far the highest figures since the pandemic began.

The situation in Florida is part of a widespread surge of infections across broad swathes of the US, especially in states – often run by Republicans – which have rushed to reopen their economies.

So far this month, Florida has seen confirmed cases more than double from 56,000 to above 114,000, and set daily records on seven of the last 13 days. Meanwhile, the number of deaths among Florida residents has climbed to almost 3,400.

Rebekah Jones, who says she was fired from her job in charge of the state’s official Covid-19 database in May for refusing to manipulate its figures, claimed on social media to have evidence that employees at Florida’s department of health “have been instructed this week to change the numbers and begin slowly deleting deaths and cases so it looks like Florida is improving next week in the lead-up to July 4, like they’ve ‘made it over the hump’.”...............

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/26/florida-governor-ron-desantis-republican-coronavirus
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The situation in Florida is part of a widespread surge of infections across broad swathes of the US, especially in states – often run by Republicans – which have rushed to reopen their economies.
OK, let's put a myth to rest.

The Dakotas never shut down their economy. Both are run by Republicans. They have seen no major influx of cases since June.

California and Washington went on hard lockdown. Both are run by Democrats. They have seen no appreciable decline in cases (in California's case) or an uptick just like Florida's and Texas's (in Washington's).

The spread of the disease is a geographic one, not a political one.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

Very true ... statistically by the numbers it makes sense that the 3 most populous states are likely to have more COVID cases.  However, DeSantis at first attributed the spike in COVID cases because of the large nursing home/assisted living population -- true only to a certain extent.  Then he attributed the spike in COVID cases because of increased testing -- true to a certain extent; it also is a concern that it has been reported that 25% of the testing has been or is inaccurate.  Now he's attributing the claims because the state is "cooking the books" -- true to a certain extent.  The state has changed their method reporting several times and my county as well. 

In his defense this virus is new, he had to create "systems" that didn't exist and had to recreate "systems" that were broken and the MSM focuses on any negativity that they can because FL is a battleground election state and he's a Republican governor.  However, he needs to quit trying to make up excuses for his own shortcomings and certainly there's corruption going on, on the GOP side as well.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

The spread of the disease is a geographic one, not a political one.

If we take a look at the 3 most populous states, not only do they have the highest number COVID cases, but they also have a very large ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT population that are least likely to adhere to mask wearing, social distancing (some households house more than 1 family or multi generations) and basic necessary hand washing and hand sanitizing.

Online cato potatoe

If the contagion is spreading, then where is the increase in daily deaths?  They have held steady in the upper 30s since April.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If the contagion is spreading, then where is the increase in daily deaths?  They have held steady in the upper 30s since April.
My guess would be that the new cases are primarily low risk populations, i.e. people under 40 without underlying medical conditions, about what you would expect showing up at beaches or parties. Going from our States' data, there have been zero fatalities below 40 years old, but the two 10 year groups which have the highest infection numbers range from 20 to 29 and 30 to 39 years old.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Because the Dems' and MSM's (repetitive and redundant, I know) narrative is to attack FL and DeSantis, facts that complicate that narrative will get CYA-mention, if that much. And understanding the increase - how much is from incautious churches , how much is from incautious people at bars and restaurants, how much is from social groups (white and non-whites) that gathered incautiously, and how much from the protests and riots - has too many landmines, so the Dems and MSM won't go there. The Dems and MSM especially do not want it known how much of the increase traces to protests and riots!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, I'm sure that there are as many cases as being reported as we have quite a few areas to be tested and we have rapid testing in the hospitals with results back in a couple of hours. Cooking the books?  Well, that's possible ... but he's been less than honest about other issues; namely unemployment, so I'm no longer buying what he's selling.

My opinion; he should have stood his ground and not shut down the entire state AND kept the hot spots closed until they started to see a decline. He didn't do that.  Now we're seeing the results.

Well, I guess it's good to know the plan to drive wedges between Republicans and their voters is working very well.  Excellent! 

For the left.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Because the Dems' and MSM's (repetitive and redundant, I know) narrative is to attack FL and DeSantis, facts that complicate that narrative will get CYA-mention, if that much. And understanding the increase - how much is from incautious churches , how much is from incautious people at bars and restaurants, how much is from social groups (white and non-whites) that gathered incautiously, and how much from the protests and riots - has too many landmines, so the Dems and MSM won't go there. The Dems and MSM especially do not want it known how much of the increase traces to protests and riots!
Well, that, too (of course). IMHO, the riots were 'pushed' and promoted  in the MSM and by the Democrats who universally failed to deter the destruction for that very purpose. Most of the group being under 40, generally having no serious medical issues, they're mostly going to survive, but a second "wave" of the virus and subsequent 'lockdowns', etc. would do the desired amount of economic damage to translate to attacking POTUS.

Even if the virus didn't magically disappear from the medical landscape, it would evaporate from the news cycle like alcohol on a hot slab the second a Democrat came into power. So, for that matter, would the rioting.

I guess the Chinese Communist Party jumped the gun when they released the virus, but their fellow travelers will milk it for all it is worth.  Lest we forget, Marxism has Globalist aims, and like the pursuit of the Dar al Islam, aims to convert the world to the same groupthink.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis