Author Topic: House approves statehood for DC in 232-180 vote  (Read 416 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House approves statehood for DC in 232-180 vote
« on: June 26, 2020, 07:05:38 pm »
House approves statehood for DC in 232-180 vote
By Mike Lillis - 06/26/20 02:52 PM EDT

The House on Friday approved landmark legislation granting statehood to Washington, D.C., in a 232-180 vote.

The vote was historic, marking the first time either chamber has passed legislation to elevate the District to the 51st state — and empower its residents with long-sought voting representation within the halls of Congress.

Calls for Washington, D.C., to gain statehood have gained steam amid the national calls for racial justice that have followed the police killing of George Floyd last month.

The issue is highly partisan, and Friday’s outcome reflected it. Every Democrat except one, Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minn.), voted in favor of the proposal, which was sponsored by D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D), while every Republican opposed it.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/504746-house-approves-statehood-for-dc-in-232-180-vote
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

Re: House approves statehood for DC in 232-180 vote
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 08:21:36 pm »
Clearly Unconstitutional
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 09:28:42 pm »
Clearly Unconstitutional
Laws?  We don't need no stinkin laws!  **nononono*

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 09:30:35 pm »
That "vote", and $2.00 will get you a 16oz coffee at your local 7-11.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 09:42:20 pm »
It's been a helluva a long time since I've had Civics, but doesn't it take a 2/3 congressional authority, plus a POTUS signature to grant statehood?

Sounds like pandering bluster to me.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 11:43:41 pm »
It's been a helluva a long time since I've had Civics, but doesn't it take a 2/3 congressional authority, plus a POTUS signature to grant statehood?

Sounds like pandering bluster to me.
Her's a silly question, has anyone explained exactly what statehood would mean to the residents in the way of taxation and other fees to support DC as a state, and asked them through a vote if that's what they want? I mean wouldn't a great deal of property and organizations be tax exempt, who is going to make up the difference to pay for it all?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 01:10:35 am »
A 51st would be two more Dem votes in the Senate. Time to kill this there. (I knew Home Rule was a mistake when that went through)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis