Author Topic: Top GOP senator: Polls are 'a message' to Trump to change strategy  (Read 3458 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Top GOP senator: Polls are 'a message' to Trump to change strategy
By Alexander Bolton - 06/24/20 11:34 AM EDT

Senate Republican Whip John Thune (S.D.) says polling showing President Trump falling far behind former Vice President Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, is a wake-up call for Trump to change his tone and focus on substance and policy.

“I think right now obviously Trump has a problem with the middle of the electorate, with independents, and they’re the people who are going to decide a national election,” Thune said.

“I think he can win those back but it will probably require not only a message that deals with substance and policy but I think a message that conveys a perhaps different tone,” he added.

Thune made his comments Wednesday morning when asked about a newly released New York Times-Siena College poll of 1,337 registered voters nationwide showing Biden leading Trump by 14 points in a hypothetical matchup, 50 percent to 36 percent.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/504294-top-gop-senator-polls-are-a-message-to-trump-to-change-strategy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Top GOP senator: Polls are 'a message' to Trump to change strategy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 12:44:36 am »
Thune may be right about independents. 

But I don't see Trump changing anything.  His schtick entertains his fans.  Trump isn't interested in attracting anyone outside his base.  That could be a bad strategy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:50:13 am by Applewood »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 01:00:15 am »
First of all polls haven't been reliable the past several election cycles.  Secondly, this is June.  I think it's a little early to be making such assessments.  The first debate between Trump and Biden hasn't happened and I think we're all waiting to see if Biden even stays in the race or steps down.  We're also still waiting to see who Biden selects as VP -- who he picks I think is going to be a better barometer as to how difficult it is going to be for Trump to win.  Still betting on Michael Obama.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 01:23:43 am »
This insubordination will not go unanswered.

"Few people know where they’ll be in two years from now, but I do, in the Great State of Alaska South Dakota (which I love) campaigning against Senator Lisa Murkowski John Thune," Trump wrote Thursday Wednesday evening. "Get any candidate ready, good or bad, I don’t care, I’m endorsing. If you have a pulse, I’m with you!"

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 01:54:43 am »
Of course they are a message. Always.
'Polls' are a manufactured rudder meant to steer the public opinion and politicians in the direction the poll owner wants. The famous quote applies, "Polls do not reflect reality. The purpose of polls is to create reality."
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 02:05:45 am »
Polls are unreliable.  I will agree there.  But I do think Thune is right about independents   Many of them went for Trump in 2016.  Trump should not assume they will do the same this year.  A lot has changed in four years.

Offline dancer

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:02 am »
Thune may be right about independents. 

But I don't see Trump changing anything.  His schtick entertains his fans.  Trump isn't interested in attracting anyone outside his base.  That could be a bad strategy.
His "schtick" is not only entertaining us, but he is actually getting things done that we have hoped for, for decades.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:57:46 am by dancer »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 04:11:23 am »
Hmm........strategy is derived from a plan which requires reflecting on one's experience.
This gives us an intuition about the future so we don't repeat the same mistakes.
This should take Trump about 200 years!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 04:27:25 am »
At this point the polls are just trying to build the psychological base from which the Democrats may be able to defraud their way to a squeaker in the fall, and still have some people believe it. They are PSYOPS, designed to make people something that does not exist does, just like that big Bolshevik majority
(That scam worked, so let's learn from that. After all, these are the ideological descendants of Lenin we're dealing with.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 04:22:09 pm »
Polls had Hillary ahead at this time in 2016.

The climate today is such Some Trump supporters wouldn't dare openly express their support.

Employers for instance, look at social media. Also check out the Bradley effect.
Another analysts performed his own "Bradley poll" on Twitter, which reinforced this.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 04:51:46 pm »

The climate today is such Some Trump supporters wouldn't dare openly express their support.

Employers for instance, look at social media. Also check out the Bradley effect.
Another analysts performed his own "Bradley poll" on Twitter, which reinforced this.

The media and the "powers that be" (but I repeat myself) think that we are like goldfish, we don't remember what happened seconds ago, let alone four years ago.
Let it burn.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 04:57:51 pm »

Not being a member of the leftist establishment was the appeal of Trump in the first place. And it is MORE clear now than it was in 2016 that the establishment is willing to pull out all the stops, legal and illegal, to defeat him. Have all those voters suddenly decided they prefer the establishment? I wouldn't think so.

The only thing that gives me pause is some of his base might perceive that he hasn't been forceful enough in opposing the deep state.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 04:58:20 pm »
Why would Trump listen to the same @#$% pollsters who confidently stated that Hillary would be President? In 1980, pollsters who miscalled the Carter-Reagan race actually tried to figure out why they erred and adjust their methods. In the aftermath of their 2016 debacle, pollsters changed .......... nothing.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 05:03:09 pm »
Polls are unreliable.  I will agree there.  But I do think Thune is right about independents   Many of them went for Trump in 2016.  Trump should not assume they will do the same this year.  A lot has changed in four years.

I actually think the opposite.  He is about the only political figure giving the finger to the BLM / Anitfa looters and rioters.
I think that actually helps his cause.

OTOH, he gets an "F" for fiscal actions of late.  That is hurting.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 06:19:35 pm »

TRUMP better change CAMPAIGN MANAGERS. BRAD is a JARVANKA guy and a liberal like JARVANKA. Nothing would make JARVANKA happier and popular at the Hampton's cocktail parties of SOROS than having his daddy in law LOSE. :yowsa:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »
Not being a member of the leftist establishment was the appeal of Trump in the first place. And it is MORE clear now than it was in 2016 that the establishment is willing to pull out all the stops, legal and illegal, to defeat him. Have all those voters suddenly decided they prefer the establishment? I wouldn't think so.

The only thing that gives me pause is some of his base might perceive that he hasn't been forceful enough in opposing the deep state.
FWIW, for those voters, the effect is still the same as the lesser evil game..

No one else running will oppose the Deep State at all, so that leaves for those voters a half measure being better than none. Unfortunately, failure to follow up and put people in prison over some of the things which have been done will only show the Deep-staters where their weaknesses are, and what they need to fix to be more secure. If that entire tumor isn't removed, it will only return with a vengeance.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 09:30:22 pm »
FWIW, for those voters, the effect is still the same as the lesser evil game..

No one else running will oppose the Deep State at all, so that leaves for those voters a half measure being better than none. Unfortunately, failure to follow up and put people in prison over some of the things which have been done will only show the Deep-staters where their weaknesses are, and what they need to fix to be more secure. If that entire tumor isn't removed, it will only return with a vengeance.

The only thing that he needs to change is being lax on his response to Antifa and BLM and the havoc that they continue to inflict on our Republic.   If he doesn't he will continue to look weak, the thugs will continue to destroy this country and we won't see another election and if we do it sure as heck won't be without conflict and corruption.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 10:08:32 pm »
The only thing that he needs to change is being lax on his response to Antifa and BLM and the havoc that they continue to inflict on our Republic.   If he doesn't he will continue to look weak, the thugs will continue to destroy this country and we won't see another election and if we do it sure as heck won't be without conflict and corruption.
Here's the trap.

If he does exert Federal Authority where it isn't authorized by Statute or Constitution, he exceeds legitimate Presidential Authority and can be gigged for that.
These are local matters, with local and State solutions first, and Federal only if requested--unless Federal Property is involved (like the monuments in D.C.) or directly threatened.

While the Press are trying to make it Trump's fault, that simply isn't his job, unless Federal assistance is formally requested by those in the several States and other jurisdictions. He can no more legally send troops to clear out the CHOP or Minneapolis than Bush could send in National Guard assistance after Katrina without the Governor's request.

We saw this same thing play out when he mentioned exerting Federal Authority over Pandemic Response over COVID-19. Not his job, not his authority, for good or ill, it is up to the States and local authorities.

Sure, the Leftists who aren't exerting their authority to stifle violence and end looting, destruction, and occupations, are pointing the finger at him. THAT is the gambit. But it is their unwillingness to take action, ordered 'stand downs', etc. that have ENABLED this level of looting and Civil Unrest in the first place.

By doing nothing they (believe,perhaps even rightly so) that they will retain their positions of power. I have little doubt the political organizations into which donations to the BLM/ANTIFA front groups are being diverted to such campaigns to ensure these willing lackeys of the Communists stay in power as a reward. I would wager those donations are essentially from two sources: suckers, and the Soros led bunch who are billionaires who want control of the Global Government they hope to erect.

I would be all for designating ANTIFA (and BLM, though that would be called "Racist") as domestic terror groups, and treating their leaders/members/financiers appropriately.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:10:14 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 10:28:34 pm »

Thanks!

I've been letting the polls and media get to me lately. Biden and the Rats winning is terrifying. I'm not afraid of dumb people, but if they become a majority it does not bode well for God fearing liberty loving Americans.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 10:39:08 pm »
Thanks!

I've been letting the polls and media get to me lately. Biden and the Rats winning is terrifying. I'm not afraid of dumb people, but if they become a majority it does not bode well for God fearing liberty loving Americans.
I hate to let you down, but roughly half of the people out there are below average intelligence.
 :thud:

:shrug:

:silly:
(The only bright side is that roughly half are above average).

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 11:13:30 pm »
I hate to let you down, but roughly half of the people out there are below average intelligence.
 :thud:

:shrug:

:silly:
(The only bright side is that roughly half are above average).
So hopefully we get enough above aby and below average intelligence voters, by getting them to agree with us. The votes all count the same.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 11:43:34 pm »
So hopefully we get enough above aby and below average intelligence voters, by getting them to agree with us. The votes all count the same.
True, but only on an honest count. :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 11:44:42 pm »
His "schitick" is not only entertaining us, but he is actually getting things done that we have hoped for, for decades.

What things?

Seem to me Trump wastes an unusual amount of time on petty BS when he should be talking seriously about the issues and outlining strategies for dealing with them.

He has not taken this virus seriously and what he calls his "response" to the coronavirus has consisted of blaming China, mocking the virus itself and those daily briefings which he spent campaigning for re-election instead of providing meaningful information and reassurance to a nation in crisis. 

And then there are those terrorists going around the country destroying monuments, burning, looting and committing violent acts against police and ordinary citizens.  Oh, Trump has made threats and I seem to recall the DOJ was going to investigate these terrorists.  But it seems to those of us non-supporters that it's all been so much hot air. 

Plus we look at his first term -- all the promises unfulfilled and broken.  Trump and the Republicans  at one point had both houses of congress plus the presidency.    What did they accomplish exactly?  Nothing.  So if Trump could do nothing in the first four years, particularly when his party was calling all the shots, what makes anyone think he's going to do any better the next four years, particularly now that his party lost the house and quite possibly will lose the senate too?

Those of us not mesmerized by Trump's schtick look instead at his first-term record and see the prospects for a second term.  Neither are pretty.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 12:22:13 am »
The protests will run their course.  Trump's waterloo is the job market.  He will never catch Biden as the layoffs pile up and unemployment benefits expire.  A lot of conservatives are retired, so they don't understand.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 12:51:45 am »
Applewood wrote:
"But I do think Thune is right about independents   Many of them went for Trump in 2016.  Trump should not assume they will do the same this year."

My take of "independent" is someone who is unable or unwilling to make up his/her mind and take a stand.

This year, more than ever in our recent history.

If "independents" are so STUPID that they can't look around, observe what's happening, and then know which way to go -- especially in view of the past 5 weeks -- they're literally "too stupid to vote".

In their case, I'm all for "voter suppression".