Author Topic: Racist Police Violence Reconsidered  (Read 592 times)

Offline The_Reader_David

Racist Police Violence Reconsidered
« on: June 23, 2020, 10:19:25 pm »
Racist Police Violence Reconsidered
written by John McWhorter   

Tony Timpa was 32 years old when he died at the hands of the Dallas police in August 2016. He suffered from mental health difficulties and was unarmed. He wasn’t resisting arrest. He had called the cops from a parking lot while intoxicated because he thought he might be a danger to himself. By the time law enforcement arrived, he had already been handcuffed by the security guards of a store nearby. Even so, the police officers made him lie face down on the grass, and one of them pressed a knee into his back. He remained in this position for 13 minutes until he suffocated. During the harrowing recording of his final moments, he can be heard pleading for his life. A grand jury indictment of the officers involved was overturned.

Not many people have seen this video, however, and that may have something to do with the fact that Timpa was white....

So, the perception that the police regularly kill black people under circumstances in which white people would be merely disciplined is in fact a misperception....It is also worth bearing in mind that while police shootings are sometimes perceived to be abuses per se, an analysis of the Post‘s 2015 data by Kimberly Kindy and Kennedy Elliott reminded readers that:

In three-quarters of the fatal shootings, police were under attack or defending someone who was. The officers were often lauded as heroes… 28 percent of those who died were shooting at officers or someone else. Sixteen percent were attacking with other weapons or physical force, and 31 percent were pointing a gun.

Police officers are too often overarmed, undertrained, and low on empathy. Some police officers are surely racist and act like it. But it does not follow that white cops routinely kill black people in tense situations out of racist animus. This scenario may seem plausible—I believed it until only a few years ago. But there are times when facts are counterintuitive, and it is important to get the facts right and to analyze them with clear eyes and a clear mind (the enlightening work of criminologist and ex-cop Peter Moskos is helpful in this regard). Rhetoric has a way of straying from reality, and to get where we all want to go, it is reality that we must address.

Excerpted read the rest here:  https://quillette.com/2020/06/11/racist-police-violence-reconsidered/.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:20:14 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline bilo

Re: Racist Police Violence Reconsidered
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 11:28:42 pm »
It's a damn shame that Sen. Scott's bill is going nowhere. His bill makes a point of gathering data from all police depts not just when someone is killed, or dies, but also any arrest involving physical force. How in the world do you fix a problem if you don't understand what it is.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 01:27:48 am »
It's a damn shame that Sen. Scott's bill is going nowhere. His bill makes a point of gathering data from all police depts not just when someone is killed, or dies, but also any arrest involving physical force. How in the world do you fix a problem if you don't understand what it is.

I'm afraid it's only our side that wants to fix problems.  The Left wants to use problems as an excuse for seizing control of the state and expanding its power and reach into every aspect of our lives -- to them the only problem is one they understand perfectly well, that they aren't in control and that government isn't intrusive enough to make everyone do as they see fit.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 02:33:42 pm »
In view of the Derek Chauvin verdict, I think it would be a good time for those of you on the board who did not read John McWhorter's "Racist Police Violence Reconsidered" back in June when I posted it less than two weeks after its publication (which is most of you to judge form the fact only bilo commented on it) to read it.  The link is there.

It debunks the claims of racist police violence, while drawing attention to the abusive mess policing has become in this country.  Read the whole article, not just the excerpt I posted.  It's worth your time.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 03:33:49 pm »
Pertinent trip down memory lane.  When a p.c. professor got into an altercation with police, it was Obama as president that demonized the police involved, and sadly and pathetically pre-judged errantly, the situation.  What we have here with Biden is the same Obama anti-police errors in judgment coming from the oval office.  As warned here before the last election the politically correct are viciously against the Police, the military, the Christians, the whites, the patriotic, gun owners.  How can they be so stupid as to vote for those that openly hate them, the democrat party ? ? ? Let's hope people use their brains next election, eh?  They sure didn't much the last Pres. election.
 22222frying pan 22222frying pan 22222frying pan
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 05:05:31 pm »
I'm afraid it's only our side that wants to fix problems.  The Left wants to use problems as an excuse for seizing control of the state and expanding its power and reach into every aspect of our lives -- to them the only problem is one they understand perfectly well, that they aren't in control and that government isn't intrusive enough to make everyone do as they see fit.

Great point. It is one of conservatism's weaknesses. Conservatives seek to fix things that are broken and are very hesitant to fix something that traditionally has worked. The leftists create a "moral" issue out of something and preen about how great they are that they recognize the "moral" issue. "systemic" racism is the current flavor of the month, but before it was the need for homosexual marriage. In every instance the goal is to marginalize conservatives because they don't respond to the "moral" issue like they do as well as destroy cultural norms and expand govt intervention.

Western civilization has done more to advance humanity than any civilization in the history of mankind. Yet the leftists hate it and seek to destroy it.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 05:09:51 pm »

The issue is never the issue, the issue is always The Revolution.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 05:12:18 pm »
In view of the Derek Chauvin verdict, I think it would be a good time for those of you on the board who did not read John McWhorter's "Racist Police Violence Reconsidered" back in June when I posted it less than two weeks after its publication (which is most of you to judge form the fact only bilo commented on it) to read it.  The link is there.

It debunks the claims of racist police violence, while drawing attention to the abusive mess policing has become in this country.  Read the whole article, not just the excerpt I posted.  It's worth your time.

Maybe it's as simple as people don't understand that when you are pulled over in a traffic stop and the officer says get out of the car it is a lawful order that you must comply with. Also, putting handcuffs on someone does not mean you are being arrested. You are being detained while the officer is trying to figure out what the situation really is all about.

IOW, comply don't die.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 05:17:17 pm »
Great point. It is one of conservatism's weaknesses. Conservatives seek to fix things that are broken and are very hesitant to fix something that traditionally has worked.

To the contrary - That is Conservatism's greatest strength.

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 07:16:22 pm »
To the contrary - That is Conservatism's greatest strength.

I agree from a practical view point, but politically it doesn't garner the same support a highly emotional "moral" injustice does.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 07:26:17 pm »
I agree from a practical view point, but politically it doesn't garner the same support a highly emotional "moral" injustice does.

In fact I think it does - Even more so. Folks respond to a grownup in the room. The problem is, there ain't any.