Author Topic: Tom Petty's family says it sent cease-and-desist letter to Trump after Tulsa rally featured 'I Won't  (Read 1450 times)

Offline libertybele

@truth_seeker

Well,probably the truest words you will ever hear are "If it were easy to quit,no one would be an addict."

It really does grab people at the genetic level,and that's what makes it almost impossible to resist. If you have addicts in your family,do NOT drink alcohol or take narcotic drugs. Not even once. No matter how strong-willed you might think you are,your own compulsions are stronger.

On the other hand,if no one in your family has a history of addiction,"Party ON,Dude/Dudette!"

Genes absolutely have a lot to do with it.  I get angry when people suggest that people can quit if they want to or had the will power.  Unless you witness or experience addiction and how it destroys lives and tears your gut out watching a loved one struggle ... think again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@truth_seeker

Well,probably the truest words you will ever hear are "If it were easy to quit,no one would be an addict."

You'll get no argument from me that it is difficult to stop. I would prefer that Trump use music from Stevie Ray or somebody that got sober, etc.

Trump would be endorsing sobriety, which he practices.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
My maternal Grandfather was a functioning alcoholic. Only 4 children out of 7 (Including my mother) that did not have problems with the bottle. Half of my cousins have alcohol issues. I used to have more than 1 or 2 back in the day, but now, a sip of the chalice at Mass on Sundays and that is about it. Maybe 1 drink every 3-6 months, MAYBE. Entire years have gone by with out one. I won't stop someone else, figure it is their choice.

@verga

Same here,but I do confess to trying to convince teens whose parents I know are drunks to not drink. I tell them in plain blunt language with no sugar-coating,either.

Then I leave them alone. You can tell people anything,but you can't make them not do something they are determined to do.

The way I see it,you owe it to them as one human being to another to lay out their probably "life road" to them if they get loaded versus life as a sober person. How they live it is up to them,though.

I also tell them that after our little talk if they ever come to me looking for help,they are bleep out of luck. I can warn you,but it is not my job to be your babysitter.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:01:43 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

@verga

Same here,but I do confess to trying to convince teens whose parents I know are drunks to not drink. I tell them in plain blunt language with no sugar-coating,either.

Then I leave them alone. You can tell people anything,but you can't make them not do something they are determined to do.

The way I see it,you owe it to them as one human being to another to lay out their probably "life road" to them if they get loaded versus life as a sober person. How they live it is up to them,though.

I also tell them that after our little talk if they ever come to me looking for help,they are bleep out of luck. I can warn you,but it is not my job to be your babysitter.
I teach high school, if they ask I tell them, after that it is up to them. I have on more than one occasion been their one phone call from jail. I let the parents know and I post bail for minor infractions (Never DUI or DaD) and let them spend a couple of days at my place until everyone cools down. meet with them and the parents and 9/10 times all is good and they go home. I try to be a good example when their parents can't be. Some times it works and some times it takes a while to sink in. I know I was young and stupid nd figure they have  every right to be once or twice.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline libertybele

I teach high school, if they ask I tell them, after that it is up to them. I have on more than one occasion been their one phone call from jail. I let the parents know and I post bail for minor infractions (Never DUI or DaD) and let them spend a couple of days at my place until everyone cools down. meet with them and the parents and 9/10 times all is good and they go home. I try to be a good example when their parents can't be. Some times it works and some times it takes a while to sink in. I know I was young and stupid nd figure they have  every right to be once or twice.

That's a tough group to teach.  God bless you!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dancer

Our republic is under assault by race hatred, riots and a communist insurrection, but let’s put that aside and talk about the campaign’s music selection. Jeez, talk about rearranging deck chairs.
888high58888

Offline dancer

Well if the Petty family is against any campaign of hate I wonder what they think of yours?
888mouth