Author Topic: What the F*ck is Going On? The Sensemaking Series, Rebel Wisdom  (Read 4065 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Sensemaking. Making sense.

This is an interesting video on why things are at the state they are.

Different perspectives from people who study the anthrpology

If you have some time listen to some of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkKnOEQlwl4&t=1546s
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

Re: What the F*ck is Going On? The Sensemaking Series, Rebel Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 12:31:57 am »
This is excellent @bigheadfred

I am going to have to go over it again to get a more coherent argument going...

But it is a fertile field.

:beer:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 01:20:14 am »
Watching it now @bigheadfred

Much of what they are saying I'm seeing myself in academia, journalism, politics, etc.

We can beat it, but it will take alot of money, organization, smart people, and utter ruthlessness toward the left.

End of the day, this is old radical Bolshevism repackaged for the modern era.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:22:57 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 01:42:48 am »
We can beat it, but it will take alot of money, organization, smart people, and utter ruthlessness toward the left.

Funny that, as the IDW has been the most coherent opposition - and it is free. Money making even.

End of the day, this is old radical Bolshevism repackaged for the modern era.

That part is right.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 02:23:04 am »
Funny that, as the IDW has been the most coherent opposition - and it is free. Money making even.

But, the Empire is striking back. As it is that glimmer of hope is rapidly being chewed up and spit out.

We need a well funded guerilla insurgency on social media, and alot of other places.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 03:27:58 am »
This call for reflection is way past overdue.
Hopefully it will trigger a realization that we are little more that
insignificant dwarves who see as far as we do only because we
stand on the massive shoulders of the colossal giants of antiquity
who preceded us.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 04:05:17 am »

That part is right.

Both terms, "Intellectual Dark Web" and "sensemaking" coined by Eric Weinstein, also an IDW founding member.

IDW members, although not "conservative," are critical of the New Left.

Now I'll view the video. I intend to follow the series.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:46:56 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 04:45:42 am »
I think I have just figured out what's rubbing me wrong here...

The idea of integrated thinking... Taking the bast of everything in order to create principles defining the Theory of Everything...

Faulty in the first part... There is not necessarily a 'best' found in all things. Some things are just depraved.

In the second part part, defining or assembling principles has already been done...
And lastly, there is no theory of everything on this side of forever. The more astute communication would recognize differences and understand them... and allow in understanding, the ability to live and let live.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 04:47:44 am »
But, the Empire is striking back. As it is that glimmer of hope is rapidly being chewed up and spit out.

We need a well funded guerilla insurgency on social media, and alot of other places.

I don't see that... Truth calmly spoken outweighs all.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 05:05:39 am »
Both terms, "Intellectual Dark Web" and "sensemaking" coined by Eric Weinstein, also an IDW founding member.

IDW members, although not "conservative," are critical of the New Left.

Now I'll view the video. I intend to follow the series.

@truth_seeker

I am happy that IDW is not Conservative, with emphasis on the fact that Conservatism is represented therein, and represented well. Shapiro is no mere token. And Conservatism by another name is winning the argument often... Rubin as an instance, began from the far left, and now is fairly well defined by Classic Liberalism, which is close kin to Conservatism... And in the end, Rubin and I could find much in common.

I am not afraid of the true and honest exchange of ideas. Quite exactly the opposite. I think it's terrific.

Edit to add: Yes, I too will watch the series.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:07:20 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 05:14:21 am »
Isn't Victor Hansen part of IDW?  I don't know Shinola about it....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 05:18:45 am »
One point worth making, is the IDW are known and possibly influence important people.

Eric Weinstein works for Peter Theil, a billionairre.

Scott Adams, while not officially in IDW, visited Trump at the WH.

Joe Rogan had Elon Musk (another billionaire)  on his show at least twice.

All together they number about a dozen, and they have each other as guests Ruben and  Owens both hosted Larry Elder..

Other names: Heather McDonald, Jonathan Haidt , Stephen Pinker,  Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Ayan Ali Hirsi, Douglas Murray, Claire Lehmann

Moving the circle out a bit, nets Ben Shapiro, Dennis Prager, Dave Ruben, Candace Owens.

Another circle brings in Glenn Beck, Dan Bongino, and so forth--Political poscasters.

IDW is not political, but critical of New Left.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 05:30:04 am »
Isn't Victor Hansen part of IDW?  I don't know Shinola about it....
Never mentioned as such. He's a powerhouse, in his own right.

He's a PhD, as is Peterson, Weinsteinx2  Heying, Haidt, Pinker, Harris.

There has never been an offficial membership, and I've taken liberty, to add some.

Some have youtube channels. If Hanson does, I have not seen it ye. He does appear with the Hoover Institute Stanford.

There are two criteria  a) the IDW and b) video material

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 07:53:32 am »
I don't see that... Truth calmly spoken outweighs all.
Among those willing to listen, yes. But among the badgerers and disrupters of the interwebs not so much. One of the reasons I am seldom on twitter of bookface is the tendency for shout-downs by those who are indoctrinated to disagree. They may not even know why they disagree--unlikely they have given their position that much thought--but that does not preclude such attacks, commonly profane, without intellectual substance, which eventually badger the poster to silence. There are simply better things to do than spend the day bickering with morons on a preschool level.

I will check this out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 09:40:17 am »
I think I have just figured out what's rubbing me wrong here...

The idea of integrated thinking... Taking the bast of everything in order to create principles defining the Theory of Everything...

Faulty in the first part... There is not necessarily a 'best' found in all things. Some things are just depraved.

@roamer_1

The "best" is a value judgement based entirely on the prejudices of those making the determination. What is "best" for you may not be the "best" for me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 09:45:45 am »
One of the reasons I am seldom on twitter of bookface is the tendency for shout-downs by those who are indoctrinated to disagree. They may not even know why they disagree--unlikely they have given their position that much thought--but that does not preclude such attacks, commonly profane, without intellectual substance, which eventually badger the poster to silence. There are simply better things to do than spend the day bickering with morons on a preschool level.

@Smokin Joe

Twitter is for Twits.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 10:44:28 am »
@Smokin Joe

Twitter is for Twits.
Plenty on there, that's for sure.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 11:20:15 am »
Among those willing to listen, yes. But among the badgerers and disrupters of the interwebs not so much. One of the reasons I am seldom on twitter of bookface is the tendency for shout-downs by those who are indoctrinated to disagree. They may not even know why they disagree--unlikely they have given their position that much thought--but that does not preclude such attacks, commonly profane, without intellectual substance, which eventually badger the poster to silence. There are simply better things to do than spend the day bickering with morons on a preschool level.

I will check this out.
@roamer_1

The "best" is a value judgement based entirely on the prejudices of those making the determination. What is "best" for you may not be the "best" for me.

My thinking aligns closer with these two observations than with @roamer_1

Conservatism’s eternal truths are completely lost on postmodernist millennials obsessed with technology and consumerism. Talking conservative principles with them would be like delivering a long monologue to a group of people only to find out they don’t understand a word of English.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 12:30:36 pm »

I will check this out.

The exact opposite is true in the rise of the IDW and its long format discussions. And why so many of their viewers are millennials... Why do you think Jordan Peterson rocketed to fame = Because he calmly spoke the truth - A truth that young men across the country had never heard before. And they stopped and listened by the million.

That is not something that can be countered in 240 chars, nor with a 10 minute presentations with 3 liberals shouting down a token 'conservative'.. That can only be countered in the long format discussion where actual ideas are examined... And in that forum, liberalism cannot stand a chance.

As fora itself proves nicely. Liberalism cannot survive reason.

This answers you too @aligncare   happy77
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:38:02 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 12:54:20 pm »
@roamer_1

@sneakypete
Then the only end game is anarchy and the survival of the fittest.
I can't agree with that..  :shrug:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 12:54:46 pm »
The exact opposite is true in the rise of the IDW and its long format discussions. And why so many of their viewers are millennials... Why do you think Jordan Peterson rocketed to fame = Because he calmly spoke the truth - A truth that young men across the country had never heard before. And they stopped and listened by the million.

That is not something that can be countered in 240 chars, nor with a 10 minute presentations with 3 liberals shouting down a token 'conservative'.. That can only be countered in the long format discussion where actual ideas are examined... And in that forum, liberalism cannot stand a chance.

As fora itself proves nicely. Liberalism cannot survive reason.

This answers you too @aligncare   happy77

Maybe, as you say, liberalism cannot survive reason, but it has survived and thrived in Washington D.C. for a century while conservatism sat in the back of the bus. Just being right is not enough in politics.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 01:00:21 pm »
Maybe, as you say, liberalism cannot survive reason, but it has survived and thrived in Washington D.C. for a century while conservatism sat in the back of the bus. Just being right is not enough in politics.

This is not politics. This is way-of-life. Speaking truth is what will change minds, not gamesmanship, not polls or speeches tuned to segments of the electorate...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 01:40:26 pm »
This is not politics. This is way-of-life. Speaking truth is what will change minds, not gamesmanship, not polls or speeches tuned to segments of the electorate...

Well, you’re not wrong—in a perfect world. But, the world exists in a constant state of opposites. Good and evil, right and wrong, light and dark; you know this. Evil and wrong and dark is in ascension now in America. It’s difficult to deny that. Just as evil has swept through time and place since the beginning, it’s a battle of wills. The Crusaders knew this and fought evil, no doubt committing some evil and wrongs themselves in their quest to drive the Ottomans from Central and Eastern Europe.

Being right is not enough without the power (in this case, political power) to fight back. Like Malcolm X said, it’s the ballot or the bullet.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:47:21 pm by aligncare »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 01:59:20 pm »
Well, you’re not wrong—in a perfect world. But, the world exists in a constant state of opposites. Good and evil, right and wrong, light and dark; you know this. Evil and wrong and dark is in ascension now in America. It’s difficult to deny that. Just as evil has swept through time and place since the beginning, it’s a battle of wills. The Crusaders knew this and fought evil, no doubt committing some evil and wrongs themselves in their quest to drive the Ottomans from Central and Eastern Europe.

Being right is not enough without the power (in this case, political power) to fight back. Like Malcolm X said, it’s the ballot or the bullet.

Perhaps you are right in the short term - But what then? When does politics turn back to what's right and look to the long term? Never the way we are going...

And in my mind, the long term is better taken to the streets. The long form debate is changing minds. And in fact, politics should follow. Liberals would fall by the wayside... The only other thing that would entail, would be politicians learning how to be statesmen.

You are not stealing any votes from the Dems. And they are not stealing any from you. Y'all keep playing games when there is an electorate twice the size that is disaffected. Speak the truth. Change minds. Prove your cause, and mean it... And then they will listen in the millions. That beats Washington every which way.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:00:13 pm by roamer_1 »