Author Topic: Florida reports more than 4,000 coronavirus cases, another single-day record  (Read 613 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Florida reports more than 4,000 coronavirus cases, another single-day record
By Marty Johnson - 06/20/20 03:47 PM EDT

Florida on Saturday announced that 4,049 people had tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday, setting another single-day record as the state continues to see a spike in numbers.

Friday's rise brings the total number of cases in the state to nearly 94,000, and more than 3,100 people have died from the virus in the Sunshine State.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has attributed the rise to increased testing in the state, but Florida isn't the only state to see a record number of daily cases this week.

Arizona and Texas have also seen their numbers spike. All three states have rolled back many of their pandemic restrictions, such as requiring people to wear masks in public.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/503732-florida-reports-more-than-4000-coronavirus-cases-another-single-day
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EdinVA

So it appears we may be chasing something that may not exist...

How accurate are COVID-19 tests? Some health experts want the FDA to find out.   No screening test is 100% accurate. So details on accuracy are routinely provided for tests of all types, including seasonal flu, hepatitis, HIV and cancers. For example, rapid flu tests are known to miss 20% or more of all cases, a factor doctors weigh when treating patients who have symptoms but test negative.
     For now, most COVID-19 tests in the U.S. don’t give data on real-world performance, including how often the tests falsely clear patients of infection or falsely detect the virus. That information is lacking for all but a few of the roughly 80 commercial screening tests available, according to an Associated Press review.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-coronavirus-tests-accuracy-20200614-mymqcl3oizddxk5pm3kzpolily-story.html

Online libertybele

It's no wonder.  I ventured out to a few places to day.  First the bank ... drive through so no problem there.  Next stop ... Dollar General, cashiers were wearing masks, the majority of people had on masks making that trip without worry.  Then on to my neighborhood Walmart -- what a flipin' nightmare.  The majority of people without masks.  Walmart is no longer wiping down their carts -- I had wipes with me, so I wiped down my cart.  They were counting people as I entered the store.  People for the most part did not follow the 6' apart social distancing guidelines, most wore no masks, and some couldn't even follow the guidelines of which way to go down the aisle.  Several times I pointed out to people that they were going the wrong way, they just looked at me with a deer in the headlights look and I told them, that it was ok, I was wearing a mask for their protection.  Then I got to the frozen foods department -- apparently the guy behind me was in a big hurry -- unmasked reaching in at the same time I was trying to get my vegs -- I left the area and came back.  On next to my local supermarket -- social distancing was somewhat adhered to, but still many without masks and some still didn't seem to be able to follow directional arrows.

Sigh. I got home only to realize through all this that I forgot a few items.  That's ok.  I'm not venturing out again anytime soon.  Walks in the park, that's about it.  This area is just asking to explode.  I was amazed by the non-compliance with CDC suggested guidelines and the I don't give a crap about my fellow neighbor attitudes. 

The city is supposed to take up a vote next week as to whether or not to make masks mandatory.  Chance are it's not going to matter.  Few are willing to comply anyways.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In contrast, there are 6 active cases in one of the counties surrounding mine, none in mine or the other counties which border on it. That's an average of one case every 1,599 square miles.

It has been over a week since the two (yes, two) BLM demonstrations brought their roadshow to town, and no new cases, and though there is additonal time for such to appear, I may have been wrong about that being used to seed the second wave. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

Florida is a tourist destination; beaches are now open. FL has a large population of illegals. That could easily be reason for some of the new cases -- but it appears that we are experiencing widespread community transmission.  No, can't keep people locked up and quarantined, but IMHO it IS up to everyone to at least make an attempt to practice some social distancing, and make a concentrated effort to practice frequent hand washing and if they or someone in their household is sick -- for other's safety -- they should stay at home.

Unfortunately ... it seems that many aren't taking this virus seriously at all and it's showing in the rising numbers.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Is it possible that states like Florida and Texas, under pressure from national lobbyists, locked down too soon—thus squandering any good will when such measures were necessary?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

Is it possible that states like Florida and Texas, under pressure from national lobbyists, locked down too soon—thus squandering any good will when such measures were necessary?

Sure, it's possible, but DeSantis kept FL open as long as he could until he started receiving pressure from those within the State to close.  Cities that were hard hit by the virus ordered lock downs before DeSantis made a statewide order.

IMHO I still think it is due to poorer areas not complying and not practicing basic hygeine -- there are those that don't speak English and may have not gotten the message or understood -- hard to tell. Some are just plain defiant in other ways, so who really knows. 

In my observation, most younger people that appear to be under the age of 30-35 are for the most part not wearing masks -- now it seems that that age group is being hit.  We just had a 17 year old with no underlying conditions die from COVID in FL.

According to some reports, masks don't offer enough protection any way.  The young are vulnerable as well.  That's what they need to realize.