Author Topic: GOP senator to introduce bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday  (Read 5735 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: GOP senator to introduce bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2020, 03:20:31 am »
As sick to death as I am of the 24/7 “anti-racism” charade on all sides, on this specific I’m with my friend and neighbor @GrouchoTex.  The end of slavery seems worthy of recognition as a Federal holiday.

...not to mention the end of a war, and Johnny's gonna come marching home again.   But I have to ask...which existing Federal Holiday should be kicked off the calendar to put this one on?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2020, 05:56:25 am »
As sick to death as I am of the 24/7 “anti-racism” charade on all sides, on this specific I’m with my friend and neighbor @GrouchoTex.  The end of slavery seems worthy of recognition as a Federal holiday.

@HoustonSam

I know it's nitpicking,but it wasn't. It was just when some people finally recognized slavery had been made illegal.

Granted,there is a valid train of thought that states if YOU don't know about something it never happened as far as you are concerned,but still......
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2020, 10:00:43 am »
I know it's nitpicking,but it wasn't. It was just when some people finally recognized slavery had been made illegal.

Of course you are correct @sneakypete; slavery actually ended when the 13th Amendment achieved the required number of state ratifications, not on “Juneteenth.”  Still, the latter date is already known and associated with slavery’s end; how many people know that Georgia’s vote on 6 December 1865 finally enacted the 13th?
James 1:20

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2020, 10:17:18 am »
Of course you are correct @sneakypete; slavery actually ended when the 13th Amendment achieved the required number of state ratifications, not on “Juneteenth.”  Still, the latter date is already known and associated with slavery’s end; how many people know that Georgia’s vote on 6 December 1865 finally enacted the 13th?

@HoustonSam

I also recall a famous quote that seems to apply to this issue.

"Those who deny history are doomed to repeat it."

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2020, 01:39:29 pm »

@HoustonSam

How many know that Georgia's, vote was obtained while that state was still under duress i.e. was still occupied? And Georgia's was far from the only one either.that is true of the votes of several other states as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2020, 01:52:46 pm »
The thing that is being ignored is that a Juneteenth will digress to just another day of sales and advertisements declaring corporate support for the cause de jour....
What happened to Black History Month, February?  Lots of stories about the "bad ole white people" but not much about the positive..

Why is there never any discussion of people like Will Smith, James Earl Jones, General Powell, Col. West or Oprah Winfrey?
Not a fan of all of them but they are intelligent, successful and have overcome tremendous odds.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »
How many know that Georgia's, vote was obtained while that state was still under duress i.e. was still occupied? And Georgia's was far from the only one either.that is true of the votes of several other states as well.

The reconstruction state governments in the South generally excluded any ex-Confederates and could not fairly be considered truly representative.

Furthermore, passage of the 13th by the US Congress was marked by patronage promises, backroom dealing, and outright bribery administered by Lincoln's cabinet.  The long-time anti-slavery Congressman Thaddeus Stevens remarked that its passage had been "corruption aided by the purest man in America."

Still, what right-thinking person can argue that the abolition of American slavery was not a good thing, and worthy of recognition?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2020, 03:44:53 pm »
The thing that is being ignored is that a Juneteenth will digress to just another day of sales and advertisements declaring corporate support for the cause de jour....
What happened to Black History Month, February?  Lots of stories about the "bad ole white people" but not much about the positive..

Why is there never any discussion of people like Will Smith, James Earl Jones, General Powell, Col. West or Oprah Winfrey?
Not a fan of all of them but they are intelligent, successful and have overcome tremendous odds.

@Colon Powell and Orca can rightfully be called many things,but "Smart" ain't one of them. Powell went from being an AA Captain so freaking useless he spent a year serving as an advisor to a SVN Infantry outfit,and they didn't even give him a "thanks for being here" ribbon when he left VN. He is the ONLY US Army member,enlisted or officer,that served as an advisor that I have ever heard of to a SVN Army unit that didn't get ANY sort of award from the SVN Army when his tour ended.

Which tells me he didn't go out in the field with them to fight,but remained behind in the garrison to cower.

Yeah,IIRC,he got a Purple Heart and I THINK a Bronze Star for meritorious service for being a passenger in a helicopter that was ferrying him and some other officers to a meeting somewhere that crashed due to mechanical problems. He most likely got cut in the crash and they gave him the PH for it even though it was NOT combat-related because he was a Field Grade infantry officer holding a staff position in an infantry division, needed SOMETHING to justify ever promoting him to LTC,and it made the General look good to have a stepandfetchit that had a PH.

He got the Bronze Star for meritorious service because he was a field grade officer who didn't get arrested or court-martialed. It is a semi-meaningless non-combat award that is handed out like candy to career officers.

His career was saved when Kissinger wanted a big darkie to carry his briefcase,and he became Kissingers "step and fetchit". If it hadn't been for that he would have been passed over for promotion to Major,and been given a discharge from the army.

As for Orca,you have obviously never seen or heard a recording of her speaking without a script when she didn't have a "bug" in her ear. Pure Ghet-Toe. Or was 30 years ago. She has probably hired a diction coach since then,but she is still as dumb as dirt. She sounds good on tv because she has a control room full of smart people whispering into her ear bug and telling her what to say.

As for James Earl Jones,who knows if he is smart or not? Or even cares? He has "that voice",and he could speak like Orca and it would sound profound. If I had the money,I'd be willing to pay him to read the dictionary to me.

Will Smith seems to be pretty damn smart,though. He has managed to use an average amount of talent to turn himself into a multi-millionaire without creating too much jealousy and sniping behind his back. He has also managed to keep himself out of the tabloids and police arrest sheets. NOT something easy to do when you grow up poor and are suddenly just handed buckets of gold.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:03:42 pm by sneakypete »

Offline bilo

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2020, 04:18:43 pm »
-------------------------------
Assuming your query is serious it's when they purge themselves of their tribal heritage/legacy.
As Jeremy Black/Cambridge observed:
Slavery emerged tens of thousands of years past, having it's most pernicious impact in Africa.
Beginning w/the Ancients of the Fertile Crescent to the Carthaginians, Phoenicians, Egyptians, Greeks and Romans; all experienced and understood slavery yet their innate individualism won out.
Not so the Tribal culture of Africa which controlled any/all individual impulses.

Compounding the problem is the solution to slavery was a federal intervention and again after the rise of the KKK and Jim Crow was another federal intervention so there is a very strong belief that all solutions have to come from the federal govt and are done on a group basis. There are some Black leaders that recognize we have moved beyond group solutions and individual empowerment and responsibility is the answer, but they are a distinct minority. 90% plus of the Black vote goes to the Rats and the Rats are the party that has effectively emasculated Blacks and put them back on the plantation. I don't see this changing any time soon.

All that being said, I don't think it is appropriate to honor former Confederate generals at Federal military bases. If individual States want to do so that is their business.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2020, 04:21:39 pm »
As sick to death as I am of the 24/7 “anti-racism” charade on all sides, on this specific I’m with my friend and neighbor @GrouchoTex. The end of slavery seems worthy of recognition as a Federal holiday.

:amen:

It doesn't hurt us to separate the identity politics crowd from the recognition that ending the evil of slavery was a good thing we should be proud of.

Offline bilo

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2020, 04:23:05 pm »
...not to mention the end of a war, and Johnny's gonna come marching home again.  But I have to ask...which existing Federal Holiday should be kicked off the calendar to put this one on?

Why not combine some holidays, the same as we did with President's day.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2020, 04:27:34 pm »
Why not combine some holidays, the same as we did with President's day.

OK, I'm game.  Which ones?  Do you think maybe we could combine Veterans Day and Columbus Day?

And will everybody get the day off, or only certain people?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2020, 05:13:10 pm »
I just want the actual language of the bill to include something along the lines of “this day will forever be held as a Federal holiday to celebrate the anniversary of the day Republicans ended slavery, a societal ill that the Democrats sought to perpetuate.”
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Absalom

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2020, 06:51:02 pm »
Compounding the problem is the solution to slavery was a federal intervention and again after the rise of the KKK and Jim Crow was another federal intervention so there is a very strong belief that all solutions have to come from the federal govt and are done on a group basis. There are some Black leaders that recognize we have moved beyond group solutions and individual empowerment and responsibility is the answer, but they are a distinct minority. 90% plus of the Black vote goes to the Rats and the Rats are the party that has effectively emasculated Blacks and put them back on the plantation. I don't see this changing any time soon.
All that being said, I don't think it is appropriate to honor former Confederate generals at Federal military bases. If individual States want to do so that is their business.
------------------------
Fair enough, yet consider this.
George Washington was a Lt. Colonel in the British Army, during the French & Indian Wars;
while our Confederate Officers were earlier graduates of West Point.
Both chose to support the principles and values they we raised by.
At present we honor the former yet condemn the latter but why?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2020, 07:40:31 pm »
------------------------
George Washington was a Lt. Colonel in the British Army, during the French & Indian Wars;

You know the answer:  The winners write the history.  BTW, the histories you like to post were all written by the winners (whether you know it or not).  It goes without saying that had the South won the war, Lee and Jefferson Davis would be heroes.
I will NOT comply.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2020, 08:06:44 pm »
The behavior of the members of this forum illustrate why our side is losing, and will continue to lose.

You've gone from "what the devil is juneteenth"? (a next-to-nothing day in history) to arguing that perhaps, just perhaps, it should be a national holiday.

While you're at it, I gotz some kwanza to sell ya...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2020, 08:18:43 pm »
@HoustonSam

I do! I do! The union troops (now nationalized) remained in Maryland until the State had adopted a new Constitution. Secession didn't even come up for a vote (post occupation) until the legislature had been replaced. The war didn't quit when the fighting ended.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online corbe

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2020, 08:31:30 pm »
   Screw em, combine MLK and Juneteenth and let them replace Labor Day in September, it's usually to hot to loot and burn then, and nobody likes Labor anyway.  We can replace the missing February Holiday with a 'White Privaledge Day'  in the middle of Black History Month.    :smokin:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2020, 08:32:20 pm »
Compounding the problem is the solution to slavery was a federal intervention and again after the rise of the KKK and Jim Crow was another federal intervention so there is a very strong belief that all solutions have to come from the federal govt and are done on a group basis.
That is just training for the second round, that being that all solutions have to come from International organizations, in preparation for reducing the sovereignty of nations to the husks of authority that the American States have become, beholden to the Federal Government for funding and approval.
There are some Black leaders that recognize we have moved beyond group solutions and individual empowerment and responsibility is the answer, but they are a distinct minority.
And it will be kept that way by the censorship of the mass media (now no longer limited to the broadcast airwaves, but on internet platforms as well). Workable solutions which ensure the survival of the Republic will only delay the imposition of the Globalist Order by offering an alternative to universal subjugation, namely a Republic in which all have opportunity, should they choose to utilize it,to improve their lot. That message is in direct contravention to the '_________ held me down, so I have to steal and destroy their stuff' instead of making my own message that is being sent today. Tear it down, rather than build it up, and all remain in the bottom of the 'crab basket' waiting for their global overlords to put on the lid and fire up the steamer.
90% plus of the Black vote goes to the Rats and the Rats are the party that has effectively emasculated Blacks and put them back on the plantation. I don't see this changing any time soon.
Right down to making the black male an irrelevant part of his own society and culture by supplanting the support and family roles of black males,when and where people fall for it, with government programs which inevitably fail, requiring more, new, and improved Government programs employing their overseers and keeping the survivors on the Plantation.

If we are to remove names from military bases, let's rename them all after Medal of Honor Awardees. That is one criterion we could hopefully all agree on.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2020, 09:28:58 pm »
------------------------

The anti-bellum "lost cause" romanticism hides the under lying cause of the war, slavery. Denying the humanity of the slaves was an evil that had to be ended. In following their principals and values the Confederate officers were also defending their way of life which depended on making human beings beasts of burden. I don't see any honor in that. If the Confederacy had freed the slaves and then seceded I doubt there would have been a war and if there had it would have been over after Bull Run.

As I have said many times, if States want to honor their Confederate Generals I think it's their right to do so, but not at national sites such as military bases.

Offline bilo

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2020, 09:34:39 pm »
If we are to remove names from military bases, let's rename them all after Medal of Honor Awardees. That is one criterion we could hopefully all agree on.

I'm with you 100%! If they don't deserve the recognition nobody does.

Offline bilo

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2020, 09:44:41 pm »
Right down to making the black male an irrelevant part of his own society and culture by supplanting the support and family roles of black males,when and where people fall for it, with government programs which inevitably fail, requiring more, new, and improved Government programs employing their overseers and keeping the survivors on the Plantation.

The small group of Black conservatives fighting this all say the same thing, "two parent households where a father is a strong figure is the key to ending the cycle of poverty and violence". I agree with this. I just don't see it happening. We have youth being indoctrinated with identity politics/grievances and the need for an all powerful govt to fix everything. In the end freedom loving people will never live in peace with the neo-marxists.

At the end of the day some areas of the country are going to demand separation and the country will split. I don't think it will be a shooting war. The left doesn't have the desire to fight to keep the "deplorables" and they will think they are getting the better end of the deal because the GDP is greater in the bigger states.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2020, 10:05:23 pm »

The small group of Black conservatives fighting this all say the same thing, "two parent households where a father is a strong figure is the key to ending the cycle of poverty and violence". I agree with this. I just don't see it happening. We have youth being indoctrinated with identity politics/grievances and the need for an all powerful govt to fix everything. In the end freedom loving people will never live in peace with the neo-marxists.

At the end of the day some areas of the country are going to demand separation and the country will split. I don't think it will be a shooting war. The left doesn't have the desire to fight to keep the "deplorables" and they will think they are getting the better end of the deal because the GDP is greater in the bigger states.
But that balkanization is the desired effect of all this divisiveness. It serves the greater Socialist (Communist) goal of a Global Socialist Government by stripping the remnants of the strength we formerly had in working together to defeat outside enemies.  Unless we can get back to being Americans first, this Nation's future will resemble the future of a great industrial empire torn to scraps by feuding heirs to the benefit of none of them.

C S Lewis

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2020, 10:26:38 pm »
The anti-bellum "lost cause" romanticism hides the under lying cause of the war, slavery. Denying the humanity of the slaves was an evil that had to be ended. In following their principals and values the Confederate officers were also defending their way of life which depended on making human beings beasts of burden. I don't see any honor in that. If the Confederacy had freed the slaves and then seceded I doubt there would have been a war and if there had it would have been over after Bull Run.

As I have said many times, if States want to honor their Confederate Generals I think it's their right to do so, but not at national sites such as military bases.

@bilo

That's an opinion completely at odds with Lincoln's stated policy and with his actual treatment of slavery during the war.  Lincoln's letter to Horace Greeley is frequently quoted :

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

Lincoln's war aim was not to free the slaves, it was to deny the liberty of self-government to the Southern States.  Union troops waged war against the Confederacy, on Southern soil, for almost two years before the Emancipation Proclamation, and even that document did not free the slaves in any location, Union or Confederate, under Union control; it did isolate the Confederacy so that foreign recognition would not be be forthcoming, and it enlisted Northern abolitionists more forcefully into supporting the war.  As late as the Hampton Roads Conference of February 1865 Lincoln was willing to negotiate on slavery but not on union.

Lost Cause advocates are wrong when they argue that slavery was irrelevant.  Several of the original seven Confederate states described slavery as a cause (sometimes *the* cause) of secession in their secession documents; the Confederate constitution explicitly required slavery in every state; Vice President Alexander Hamilton Stephens identified slavery as the key principle of the Confederacy in the Cornerstone speech.  Had it not been for slavery there would have been no Southern secession and no Confederacy.

But the Confederates did not desire war with the Union, they desired simply to leave the Union, and the states of the upper South seceded only after Lincoln called for an invasion of the Deep South.  Slavery was the cause of the original seven Confederate states' secession, but not the cause of war.  Lincoln's insistence on forcibly retaining the Southern states inside a union they no longer desired was the cause of war.  Had the Confederates freed the slaves Lincoln would still have maintained his insistence on forced union, but it is conceivable that foreign recognition of the Confederacy and Copperhead opposition might have overcome his personal will.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2020, 10:33:27 pm »

How can we reverse the deep seat resentment that has simmered 56 years since Malcolm X first expressed it, and erupted again after George Floyd’s killing?

“No I’m not an American. I’m one of 22 million black people who are the victims of Americanism. One of the 22 million black people who are the victims of democracy, nothing but disguised hypocrisy. So, I’m not standing here speaking to you as an American, or a patriot, or a flag saluter or flat waiver—no, not I. I am speaking as a victim of this American system. And I see America through the eyes of the victim(s). I don’t see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.”

Malcolm X
The Ballot or the Bullet
April 3, 1964