Author Topic: GOP senator to introduce bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday  (Read 5853 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP senator to introduce bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday
By Zack Budryk - 06/18/20 07:37 PM EDT

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said Thursday he will introduce legislation making Juneteenth, the holiday celebrating the emancipation of formerly enslaved African Americans, a federal holiday.

The June 19 holiday is “an opportunity to reflect on our history, the mistakes we have made, but yet how far we’ve come in the fight for equality, and a reminder of just how far we still have to go,” Cornyn said on the Senate floor on Thursday.

Juneteenth has its roots in Cornyn’s home state, where in 1865, Gen. Gordon Granger read the Emancipation Proclamation to former slaves, the final state where it was read after first being issued by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863. Texas is one of 47 states, as well as the District of Columbia, that recognize the holiday. Both Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) called for their respective legislatures to make it a state holiday this week.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/503497-gop-senator-to-introduce-bill-to-make-juneteenth-a-federal-holiday
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: GOP senator to introduce bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:27:50 am »

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said Thursday he will introduce legislation making Juneteenth, the holiday celebrating the emancipation of formerly enslaved African Americans, a federal holiday.

The June 19 holiday is “an opportunity to reflect on our history, the mistakes we have made, but yet how far we’ve come in the fight for equality, and a reminder of just how far we still have to go,” Cornyn said on the Senate floor on Thursday.

Juneteenth has its roots in Cornyn’s home state, where in 1865, Gen. Gordon Granger read the Emancipation Proclamation to former slaves, the final state where it was read after first being issued by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863. Texas is one of 47 states, as well as the District of Columbia, that recognize the holiday. Both Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) called for their respective legislatures to make it a state holiday this week.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/503497-gop-senator-to-introduce-bill-to-make-juneteenth-a-federal-holiday

THe GOP is making a tremendous mistake with all this pandering. IMO they have greatly misread the crowd.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 01:16:11 am »
No.
Absolutely NO.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 01:29:08 am »
   Next up from Cornyn will be the gay pandering, he saw what almost happen to Cruz 2 years ago and he knows intellectually he wouldn't make a pimple on Ted's butt. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 04:10:45 am »
Juneteenth recognized in 47 states?  BULLSH*T!!!  Until two weeks ago, I never heard of it, and I have spent years in Texas on consulting gigs, and not a peep about Juneteenth.

Now, this fits in the nice to have, but we have to be smart as a nation.  We have enough national holidays!  Last thing we need in the competitive world we operate in is more holidays.  Take Puerto Rico, they have 24 holidays.  They have all the holidays we have in the USA, and many more for their own events.  24 holidays, no joke.  And what does that mean?  It means corporations are not willing to invest money in a workforce that have two days off every month on average.  Pure idiocy, and I oppose any more holidays....PERIOD!!!

And these jack*sses that are tearing down statues, have torn down statues of Abe Lincoln, and destroyed the memorial of a regiment of black Union soldiers in Massachusetts, are worthy of zero respect.  So, I say screw this notion and to hell with all that think we should destroy our history.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 05:42:03 am »

more

Seems that would only piss them off to celebrate on Juneteenth.  To recognize the Emancipation instead of making it about the massacre.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:50:54 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:36:29 am »
Trade it for MLK Day. It'll balance things out a little more.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 10:44:28 am »
Heck, I recall celebrating Stonewall....Jackson, that is.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 11:33:54 am »
Great, another patronizing move. Then anyone not voting for it can be attacked by BLM forces for not being sympathetic enough to the plight of poor little African Americans. Can there ever be enough pandering? Apparently not.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 12:12:18 pm »
Juneteenth recognized in 47 states?  BULLSH*T!!!  Until two weeks ago, I never heard of it, and I have spent years in Texas on consulting gigs, and not a peep about Juneteenth.

Now, this fits in the nice to have, but we have to be smart as a nation.  We have enough national holidays!  Last thing we need in the competitive world we operate in is more holidays.  Take Puerto Rico, they have 24 holidays.  They have all the holidays we have in the USA, and many more for their own events.  24 holidays, no joke.  And what does that mean?  It means corporations are not willing to invest money in a workforce that have two days off every month on average.  Pure idiocy, and I oppose any more holidays....PERIOD!!!

And these jack*sses that are tearing down statues, have torn down statues of Abe Lincoln, and destroyed the memorial of a regiment of black Union soldiers in Massachusetts, are worthy of zero respect.  So, I say screw this notion and to hell with all that think we should destroy our history.

???

I am from Texas, and I've known about Juneteenth since I was a child.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »
Do we really need another excuse for government employees not to work?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 12:20:02 pm »
I may be in a minority of opinion here, so be it.
I don't have a problem with this.
I actually think this is long overdue.

July 4th, 1776, we declared or independence, to make our country free.

June 19th, 1865, celebrated as the made all of our citizens free, living up to the promise:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

I took us 89 years to get there, but we got there.

Feel free to fire at will.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 01:13:39 pm »
Great, another patronizing move. Then anyone not voting for it can be attacked by BLM forces for not being sympathetic enough to the plight of poor little African Americans. Can there ever be enough pandering? Apparently not.

All politicians pander, including President Trump.
Folks tend not to mind when they are the ones on the receiving end of the pandering.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 01:52:04 pm »
THe GOP is making a tremendous mistake with all this pandering. IMO they have greatly misread the crowd.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Yup! Just look at where pandering put them before Trump showed up.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 02:13:32 pm »

All politicians pander, including President Trump.
Folks tend not to mind when they are the ones on the receiving end of the pandering.

I mind it when they pander to me, because I'm smart enough to know what an empty promise looks like.

What I wonder is this:  What holiday are they going to eliminate to create a special extra one for that segment of the population?  Veterans Day?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 02:21:34 pm »
I mind it when they pander to me, because I'm smart enough to know what an empty promise looks like.

What I wonder is this:  What holiday are they going to eliminate to create a special extra one for that segment of the population?  Veterans Day?

Black
Friday.  :rolling:
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline bilo

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 03:27:27 pm »

June 19th, 1865, celebrated as the made all of our citizens free, living up to the promise:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

:amen:

I don't see a problem celebrating the end of an evil institution that treated human beings as beasts of burden. FWIW, I think those that oppose something as reasonable as this potentially fulfill bad stereotypes of conservatives. We are not talking about supporting stupid ideas like reparations.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 03:36:07 pm »
The first time I heard of Juneteenth was last year I think, is this some recently made up thing?

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 03:55:17 pm »

I actually agree with you. Its harmless to make this a holiday, and it honors the constitution's promise...as you say...that all men are created equal. It also acknowledges that we were wrong to wait 89 years to make that a reality, and that we DO and have had problems with racism in society. Seems reasonable to me. Is it pandering....yes...to an extent. But you could argue that making Christmas a holiday is pandering to Christians, or Labor Day is pandering to workers....the implementation of any holiday is a bit of a "pander".

And before someone uses an absurdity like Kwanzaa as a counter-argument, Juneteenth has been around for a very long time in Texas and parts of the South. It is an "American" tradition in those places, not a transplanted imaginary holiday meant to make a cultural statement out of nothing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:58:25 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 03:58:12 pm »
The first time I heard of Juneteenth was last year I think, is this some recently made up thing?

No, it's been around TX for a very, very long time.  It's only brought up now because there is an important task at hand:  Eliminate Republicans forever.  bad orange man just happens to be the King at the time.

I have but one observation to make that illustrates my feelings about Juneteenth and MLK Day in January:  "The chains of a slave weigh heavily at both ends." 
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 04:09:08 pm »
No, it's been around TX for a very, very long time.  It's only brought up now because there is an important task at hand:  Eliminate Republicans forever.  bad orange man just happens to be the King at the time.

I have but one observation to make that illustrates my feelings about Juneteenth and MLK Day in January:  "The chains of a slave weigh heavily at both ends."

Are there any other secret regional black holidays that we need to watch out for?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 04:12:07 pm »
Are there any other secret regional black holidays that we need to watch out for?

I don't know.  They're regional and I don't know all the regions.  Probably, the next time the Rats try to scuttle a Trump Rally, one will be found.  BTW, "Juneteenth" is not any kind of holiday in the states not named "Texas," AFAIK.  Certainly not in Oklahoma.
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 04:16:10 pm »
Travesty we couldn't get even 25% in the primary to unseat this c__ sucking SOB.

We don't need additonal federal holidays
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:18:47 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2020, 04:20:52 pm »
Travesty we couldn't get even 25% in the primary to unseat this c__ sucking SOB.

We don't need additonal federal holidays

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien