Author Topic: GOP senator to introduce bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday  (Read 5734 times)

Offline libertybele

Re: GOP senator to introduce bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2020, 01:34:22 am »
Oh for crying out loud.  Our police force is being dismantled.  Rioters are destroying monuments and statues and this is what the GOP comes up with??   9999hair out0000  888mouth 888mouth 888mouth
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dancer

« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2020, 05:32:54 am »
???

I am from Texas, and I've known about Juneteenth since I was a child.
I have never heard of it either.

Offline dancer

Offline dancer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2020, 06:15:00 am »
@GrouchoTex

I would be willing to bet THOSE little factoids are not taught in our public schools,and most likely,not even in the private schools.

Sometimes history can just be so damn inconvenient,can't it? It shines a searchlight on the lie that the war was about slavery.
Nope. Union Occupied States which had not seceded were not included in the proclamation.  Besides, the war had been going on. We won't talk about desertions in Union ranks because it was one thing to fight to preserve the Union, quite another to free slaves, nor the Draft Riots in New York later the same year.

Seems folks just were not so altruistic as the Yankee History books claimed...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2020, 01:08:18 pm »
Nope. Union Occupied States which had not seceded were not included in the proclamation.  Besides, the war had been going on. We won't talk about desertions in Union ranks because it was one thing to fight to preserve the Union, quite another to free slaves, nor the Draft Riots in New York later the same year.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2020, 02:24:29 pm »

I must be old, because the very first thing my American History teacher said about the war was the Emancipation Proclamation freed absolutely nobody.  And that was Michigan in the 70's.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2020, 02:29:52 pm »
On January 1, Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, which included nothing about gradual emancipation, compensation for enslavers or black emigration and colonization, a policy Lincoln had supported in the past. Lincoln justified emancipation as a wartime measure, and was careful to apply it only to the Confederate states currently in rebellion. Exempt from the proclamation were the four border slave states and all or parts of three Confederate states controlled by the Union Army.

Source: https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/emancipation-proclamation
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2020, 07:45:31 pm »
I have never heard of it either.

@dancer

Same here,and any title like that is too stupid to forget.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2020, 04:52:17 pm »
@dancer

Same here,and any title like that is too stupid to forget.

Maybe that goofy title name is why I remember it.
It has been a State holiday since around 1980ish?

Online berdie

« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2020, 08:09:42 pm »
Maybe that goofy title name is why I remember it.
It has been a State holiday since around 1980ish?

That is what I remember as well. I say, fine make it a national holiday. Whatever. But companies might not observe it. The company I worked for didn't observe a lot of federal holidays. But observed others. I assume there is still some freedom left for individual owners?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2020, 08:43:44 pm »

That is what I remember as well. I say, fine make it a national holiday. Whatever. But companies might not observe it. The company I worked for didn't observe a lot of federal holidays. But observed others. I assume there is still some freedom left for individual owners?

Yep, so far anyway.