Author Topic: Here Comes The Sahara Dust Again! Enormous Cloud of Sand From Africa’s Sahara Is Heading for Texas,  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Strange Sounds -Jun 16, 2020

Here Comes The Sahara Dust Again! Enormous Cloud of Sand From Africa’s Sahara Is Heading for Texas, Louisiana and Florida

Satellite images show that a vast plume of Saharan dust is drifting westwards over the Atlantic.

And meteorologists are predicting that it will reach the U.S. by next week, if not sooner!

Some of the dust could arrive in parts of the U.S. Gulf Coast, such as southern Texas, Louisiana and Florida, by next Wednesday… If not sooner.

This phenomenon is the result of tiny sand and mineral particles being swept up off the surface of the Sahara Desert by winds.

These particles are then carried by updrafts into an extremely dry and hot air mass known as the Saharan Air Layer, which forms above the desert between late spring and early fall.

More: https://strangesounds.org/2020/06/sahara-dust-usa-texas-louisiana-florida-video.html

Online roamer_1

What a relief. All y'all were fixin to run out of sand.  :laugh:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And, the sand all falls straight down to the ground and doesn't go to OK or NM.  If i read the article correctly.  *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
And, the sand all falls straight down to the ground and doesn't go to OK or NM.  If i read the article correctly.  *****rollingeyes*****

You must be reading a whole lot between the words. I read that it arrives at several Gulf Coast states. I didn't read where it finally ends up. That must be in those parts between the words.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Another out of Africa story.

I always wondered what inspired "grits".

People should be required to wear masks and self quarantine.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You must be reading a whole lot between the words. I read that it arrives at several Gulf Coast states. I didn't read where it finally ends up. That must be in those parts between the words.

Naw, making a snark.  It's like reading articles about Baseball.  The entire world drops off at the Hudson, and doesn't pick up until LA.  Same with this weather.  This was about the third or fifth article I found on this cloud of Sahara Sand, and none of them make a smidgen of a reference to points West.

Tired of not existing.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
On a positive note, higher than normal Saharan Dust activity tends to supress hurricane formation and intensity.  Especially during the Cape Verde part of the season.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
On a positive note, higher than normal Saharan Dust activity tends to supress hurricane formation and intensity.  Especially during the Cape Verde part of the season.

Since  hurricanes start in the Sahara does the higher dust amount cause hurricanes to rain themselves out early?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Since  hurricanes start in the Sahara does the higher dust amount cause hurricanes to rain themselves out early?

I always thought these tiny particles were the source of rain, being each drop of rain forms around an impurity. Drinking rain water isn't 100% pure water.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

@bigheadfred

Pretty close guess there Fred. Here is a cut/pasted exerpt explanation from NOAA/NASA...

Researchers think the dust itself suppresses cloud formation, playing a role in preventing tropical waves from becoming more intense. Ismail said, “We think that dust aerosols can affect tropical disturbances, sometimes even kill those disturbances. Dust inhibits convection, the process of moisture rising to the higher levels of the atmosphere, and then precipitating as rain. So these Saharan dust layers seem to have a blanketing influence on the development of convection.”

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I always thought these tiny particles were the source of rain, being each drop of rain forms around an impurity. Drinking rain water isn't 100% pure water.

I think that is true for the most part. Drops form around a particle.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@bigheadfred

Pretty close guess there Fred. Here is a cut/pasted exerpt explanation from NOAA/NASA...

Researchers think the dust itself suppresses cloud formation, playing a role in preventing tropical waves from becoming more intense. Ismail said, “We think that dust aerosols can affect tropical disturbances, sometimes even kill those disturbances. Dust inhibits convection, the process of moisture rising to the higher levels of the atmosphere, and then precipitating as rain. So these Saharan dust layers seem to have a blanketing influence on the development of convection.”

Not so much of a guess.

Do you know the word autodidactic?

Offline corbe

This won't be adequate to start the next $hit storm for America because I'm convinced that a lot of Americans wouldn't mind the idea of all us arrogant Texans being buried in the sand.

Incidentally, The glass is always half full (FTA):

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
   This won't be adequate to start the next $hit storm for America because I'm convinced that a lot of Americans wouldn't mind the idea of all us arrogant Texans being buried in the sand.

Incidentally, The glass is always half full (FTA):

It is jealousy. You have sand to bury your heads in.

When they try it their heads bounce off concrete up into their ass.

Online roamer_1

It is jealousy. You have sand to bury your heads in.

When they try it their heads bounce off concrete up into their ass.

A ricochet biscuit.  :laugh:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Well it is supposed to be hitting us right now, but almost as odd, is the fog shrouding our location at 11:30 a.m. on a late June day.  That's pretty dang rare by itself.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Here is a Google Earth shot of where I live.

Click the pic for a larger size.

The pin at the bottom is where I live.

The area to the left is black lava. The gray areas are high desert==sagebrush and...lava rock.

The whiter area at the top are sand dunes. Some good-sized dunes. Plenty of people go flying over a dune in their ATV, etc. and crash onto...lava rock. Lava rock is some unforgiving stuff.

Most of the topsoil here is loess. It is blown in.

The Grand Tetons are to the right a few miles and Yellowstone above them. Craters of the Moon are to the left not too far out of the picture.

There is a fair amount of geological diversity here.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Here is a Google Earth shot of where I live.

Click the pic for a larger size.

The pin at the bottom is where I live.

The area to the left is black lava. The gray areas are high desert==sagebrush and...lava rock.

The whiter area at the top are sand dunes. Some good-sized dunes. Plenty of people go flying over a dune in their ATV, etc. and crash onto...lava rock. Lava rock is some unforgiving stuff.

Most of the topsoil here is loess. It is blown in.

The Grand Tetons are to the right a few miles and Yellowstone above them. Craters of the Moon are to the left not too far out of the picture.

There is a fair amount of geological diversity here.
Yep. Geologically, that has been a busy place--still is.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Deck has a reddish-brown hue right now.  I think they way over estimated the visual obscurity though.  Just not that hazy. 

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....