Author Topic: The Confederate-monument controversy is a Dem-vs-Dem question  (Read 327 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The Confederate-monument controversy is a Dem-vs-Dem question

There is an argument that the police misbehavior in Minneapolis and the statues in Mississippi are part of the same vast edifice of white supremacy, which must be attacked on both the symbolic and the practical fronts. And underneath the vandalism and hysteria and political opportunism, there is a reasonable argument for that point of view, not that the rioters and arsonists have any great interest in reasonable argument.

Conservatives should acknowledge that reasonable argument, but we should not permit its being used as political cover for a Democratic retreat from the failure of Democratic policies in Democratic cities into the safe abstraction of “white supremacy.” There are specific, urgent, and immediate questions that demand answers in Minneapolis, and those are questions mainly for its Democratic mayor, its Democratic city council, its progressive leadership and management class, for Democratic elected officials such as Representative Ilhan Omar, and a great many other people who are very comfortable talking about the ghastly moral failures of the Confederacy a century and a half ago but rather less eager to talk about the facts on the ground in Minneapolis in the here and now.

https://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2020/06/confederate-monument-controversy-dem-vs-dem-question/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Confederate-monument controversy is a Dem-vs-Dem question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 06:39:09 am »
Not really. It's US vs Dem. The history of the US fades significantly without an enemy for the Yankees to vilify, and suddenly, all white skinned people, even those whose ancestors arrived in the 1900s, are eeevil.

We can show no progress without acknowledging where we have been.

And these men took up arms to protect, as best they could, their homes, wives, children, and their property against an invading Army. I don't care who you are, that takes guts, especially in a day and age where battlefield medicine was butchery. Such fortitude deserves to be honored, even in defeat.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis