Author Topic: Afghanistan in Transition  (Read 2174 times)

Offline AARguy

Afghanistan in Transition
« on: August 14, 2021, 10:41:01 pm »
I spent a year as a contractor in Iraq training their new Army. Like most nations in the region, there is no patriotism, no national pride. Their loyalty is to family and "tribe", not country. Without any loyalty beyond anything local, they make lousy defenders of a country. We can train them to shoot, to maneuver, to communicate. We can teach them tactics and all the rest. But when they have no desire to defend anything beyond their own neighborhoods, they are completely ineffective. We went to Afghan to punish the perpetrators of 9/11 and we did that. It would have been nice if we could have simply left then. But its just not that simple. Before we invaded, the Taliban routinely raided Pakistan from police stations to military bases and even their national military academy. They did so easily and with impunity. That stopped when we arrived in Afghan. Without doubt those raids will begin again when we are gone. And Pakistan has nukes. Unlike American nukes, the Pakistanis use the Russian model for controlling them. American nuclear release authority is at the National Command Authority level. In Pakistan, the "codes" are available at the local level (two star). Stay tuned for the Taliban to grab a nuke (or a few nukes) along with the PAL (Permissive Action Link) codes needed to activate them. Taliban with nukes... OMG.

Now all they need are some shipping labels and a forklift to get them on a cargo ship or a fishing trawler.

A BCT (Brigade Combat Team) is headed to our embassy. Many of the I-T's (Interpreter-Translators) that helped us (and their families) remain in Afghan. What will happen? I would suggest that the retreat from Saigon with helicopters ditching in the sea will look like like an orderly operation compared to what's coming. The slaughter of I-T's and their families will be a bloodbath. The future of Afghani men, and especially women, will be on a par with the fate of those who died at Babi Yar.

And no ally will ever trust us again.

Offline Absalom

Re: Afghanistan in Transition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 04:00:51 am »
I spent a year as a contractor in Iraq training their new Army. Like most nations in the region, there is no patriotism, no national pride. Their loyalty is to family and "tribe", not country. Without any loyalty beyond anything local, they make lousy defenders of a country. We can train them to shoot, to maneuver, to communicate. We can teach them tactics and all the rest. But when they have no desire to defend anything beyond their own neighborhoods, they are completely ineffective. We went to Afghan to punish the perpetrators of 9/11 and we did that. It would have been nice if we could have simply left then. But its just not that simple. Before we invaded, the Taliban routinely raided Pakistan from police stations to military bases and even their national military academy. They did so easily and with impunity. That stopped when we arrived in Afghan. Without doubt those raids will begin again when we are gone. And Pakistan has nukes. Unlike American nukes, the Pakistanis use the Russian model for controlling them. American nuclear release authority is at the National Command Authority level. In Pakistan, the "codes" are available at the local level (two star). Stay tuned for the Taliban to grab a nuke along with the PAL (Permissive Action Link) codes needed to activate them. Taliban with nukes. Now all they need are some shipping labels and a forklift to get them on a cargo ship or a fishing trawler.
 A BCT (Brigade Combat Team) is headed to our embassy. Many of the I-T's (Interpreter-Translators) that helped us (and their families) remain in Afghan. What will happen? I would suggest that the retreat from Saigon with helicopters ditching in the sea will look like like an orderly operation compared to what's coming. The slaughter of I-T's and their families will be a bloodbath. The future of Afghani men, and especially women, will be on a par with the fate of those who died at Babi Yar.
And no ally will ever trust us again.
-----------------------
Reflective commentary deserving an observation of history!
The British Empire peaked at the turn of the 20th century, as Victoria passed.
She was succeeded by assorted royal flunkies who bowed to Parliamentary adventurers,
the latter craving fat wallets, first, last and always.
As a result, British internationalists began detailed meddling in the affairs of their
Colonies (then some 53% of the Globe), seeking economic advantage for themselves.
Such behavior triggered a chain of events that ended the British Empire, next century.
We are following the same track by our compulsive meddling across the Globe
and the consequence will be the same as Britain's; loss of friends/allies and
far more importantly, loss of face. But why?
BECAUSE WE CANNOT MIND OUR OWN GOD DAMMED BUSINESS!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 06:41:34 pm by Absalom »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Afghanistan in Transition
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 05:50:08 am »
Transitioning to a hellhole, and I'm afraid with China's backing they are gonna come right at us.
The Republic is lost.