Author Topic: Make classic Luby’s recipes at home  (Read 804 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Make classic Luby’s recipes at home
« on: June 09, 2020, 09:33:29 pm »
Houston Chronicle  Greg Morago June 9, 2020

Luby’s, the cafeteria restaurant that is a beloved Texas institution, has been hit by the changing ways America eats and the downturn in restaurant business during the coronavirus pandemic.

The struggling chain recently announced it was putting its business and assets up for sale in an effort to pay off $35 million of debt.

Over the years, the Houston Chronicle’s food section has printed Luby’s recipes, most of which were included in the Luby’s cookbook, “Luby’s Recipes & Memories: A Collection of Our Favorite Dishes and Heartwarming Stories.”

Here are a few of them.

Recipe: Luby’s Carrot & Raisin Salad

Recipe: Luby’s Baked Fish Almondine

Recipe: Luby’s Baked Meatloaf

Recipe: Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/food/article/Make-classic-Luby-s-recipes-at-home-15327206.php

Offline Applewood

Re: Make classic Luby’s recipes at home
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 10:48:58 pm »
Dang it!  I was starting to read the Mac& Cheese recipe when I got a popup saying I have to subscribe.  Uh, no thank you.  A shame because Mac & Cheese is one of my few vices and I love reading and trying different recipes for it.

I've heard of Luby's, but there are none in my part of the world.  It's a shame that cafeteria and buffet restaurants will likely go out of business since COVUD or have to make certain changes to survive. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:30:39 pm »
Dang it!  I was starting to read the Mac& Cheese recipe when I got a popup saying I have to subscribe.  Uh, no thank you.  A shame because Mac & Cheese is one of my few vices and I love reading and trying different recipes for it.

I've heard of Luby's, but there are none in my part of the world.  It's a shame that cafeteria and buffet restaurants will likely go out of business since COVUD or have to make certain changes to survive.

Delete your Cookies and try again.

My wife worked for Luby's for many years. She wasn't a cook, but helped the cooks a lot. We have one of the Luby's cookbooks and use it a lot.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 11:48:16 pm »
Delete your Cookies and try again.

My wife worked for Luby's for many years. She wasn't a cook, but helped the cooks a lot. We have one of the Luby's cookbooks and use it a lot.

Thank you.  I managed to find the recipe from another source. 

Seems that Luby's, like most cafeterias, served basic food -- nothing fancy.  That's the kind of cooking I like best.  The froo-froo cuisines never really appealed to me.  I may get myself one of Luby's cookbooks.

Anyway, thank you for sharing the link.   happy77