Author Topic: CNN Urges Parents to Talk to Kids About Their Privilege  (Read 740 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CNN Urges Parents to Talk to Kids About Their Privilege
« on: June 07, 2020, 12:10:49 am »
 newsbusters.org
Alex Christy
7-9 minutes

CNN's Saturday town hall with Sesame Street on racism started out well enough with Elmo and Big Bird teaming up with host Erica Hill to instill in young children the virtues of being kind and treating others with dignity and respect. Unfortunately, at the bottom of the hour, the focus shifted to how parents could talk to their children about race and racism in America and became much more politicized. Parents were encouraged to talk to their kids about their privilege and that attempting to be colorblind actually dehumanizes people.

Hill brought up the topic of white privilege by introducing a New Hampshire mother who asked, "What are some resources we can both use to further acknowledge our white privilege and help raise up the black community?"

Turning to Professor Jennifer Harvey, Hill elaborated, "I just wonder if we could address what white privilege is because I think it's more subtle than many realize. How do you define it? How do you explain it to people?"

Mediavine

Harvey answered:

So, white privilege is the situation where racism, as it impacts black community and Latinx communities, Asian-American, and Native American communities. White communities are not negatively impacted by racism and sometimes we get unjust benefits and easier access to things just because we're white, not because we deserve it.

more
https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/alex-christy/2020/06/06/cnn-urges-parents-talk-kids-about-their-privilege
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: CNN Urges Parents to Talk to Kids About Their Privilege
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 12:13:07 am »
I'm sure the topic "Privilege" will be a mandated topic of discussion in the public schools.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 04:26:06 am »

Okay kids, there's a lot of talk about "White Privilege".
So, here it is kids (grandkids, all of whom are members of an American Indian Tribe, some of whom we raised):

If you claim "white" you will have a hard time getting Indian Health, but will have to scrounge for a doctor. Lately, the 'white' doctors aren't doing much better than the ones at the Tribal clinic, and I'd just save them for a second opinion.
No, child, Papa doesn't get that benefit. I have to pay to see a doctor, every time, and chances are about 50/50 they'll get it wrong or just not have any answer. That's why Papa spent so much time reading medical books.

Now, listen, because if you decide to go to college and hear all about how badly I have treated you (giggles), you can get grants and scholarships and maybe even squeak in with a little lower grades if you check the box that says
"Native American" that you won't be eligible for if you check the box that says "White". While I want you to always do your very best, you know what to do.

No, Papa was lucky, his Dad had saved enough money to pick up a lot of his college costs, a tremendous gift, but the bill still had to be paid in full.

Get good grades anyway, and when the time comes to get a job, don't let people think you just got it because you checked the box that says "Native American". Be good enough they'd have hired you either way. They'll brag about you if you check the 'Native' box and you may avoid some diversity training as long as you don't' say anything nasty about any other 'groups'. So think what you want, but keep your mouth shut. 

As for anyone, stay clean and sober. You won't regret it, and you'll have fewer problems,especially with the law.

Now, you'll hear a lot of stuff about 'white guys", but remember, you are part white. Still, remember that Papa has loved each and every one of you more than all the toys and things in the world, so we may not have had all the gimmicks and latest gadgets and the Disneyland vacations, we never went without food, clothing, a warm and dry home to live in, books to read, TV to watch, at least one computer for the house, and all the love from your Grandma and me you could handle, even when we disagreed with your choices.

Working hard, sometimes in miserable conditions and far from home was worth it, knowing you were safe, warm, and well cared for. In that, it has been a privilege. But remember, too, no one ever cut me any slack just because of the color of my skin.

Don't expect anyone to cut you any slack either, and you'll do just fine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 04:43:35 am »
Why didn't CNN hold a town hall on their front doorstep the other day?  Fredo the Super Spreader would have jumped all over that opportunity.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 04:44:48 am »
FU CNN!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 05:22:17 am »
Privilege is a code word for superiority.
They want White people to 'apologize' because we speak normal English instead of pidgin English.
They want White people to 'apologize' because we do math and understand basic economics.
They want White people to 'apologize' because we do not have a criminal record at age 16.
They want White people to 'apologize' because we show up to work on time and sober.

No thanks. I'll pass on any apology. And I will continue to succeed in America along with all my educated Black, Hispanic, and Asian brothers in arms. We are all successful and proud of it. No apology is coming from any of us. It is not our fault that so many Blacks are LOSERS! And apologizing for being successful will not change anything for anybody. You are who you are. You make your own 'luck'.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 07:39:31 am »
I've been seeing articles like this all week since Mr. Floyd's death.  I have no idea what "white privilege" is.  No one handed me anything simply because I was white.  I stayed in school and graduated.  Then I went to work.  Whatever I do have, I worked for. 

Same with my parents before me.  Both of them grew up during the Great Depression.  But even during the 1950s there were hard times.  Dad worked for the railroad and when business was slow, he was laid off.  Once he was off work for almost a year.  Did Dad sit on his butt and collect a check?  No.  He pounded the pavement and worked any job he could find till the railroad called him back.  He washed dishes.  He helped deliver packages for the post office at Christmas time.  He worked for any employer  willing to hire him. 

And my brother and I were taught to do the same.  We don't take charity.  We don't take public assistance.  My brother was fortunate; he was able to stay at the same company all his working life.  I wasn't so lucky.  I worked for lawyers and often law firms would split up or they would be acquired by larger firms which decided they didn't need the support staff from their newest acquisition.  When I lost a job, I didn't stay home, cry the blues and collect a check.  I went out and worked whatever job I could find. 

Today, except for illness or some other calamity that legitimately prevents a person from working, there is no excuse for any African-American or anyone else to live in poverty.  There is a helluva lot less discrimination now than there was when I was a kid.  In fact, these days employers are so committed to diversity, they give preference to hiring people of color.  So if a black person doesn't have a job and lives in poverty, it isn't because of "white privilege" or discrimination.  It's because he or she is either too stupid or too lazy to take advantage of the opportunities out there. 

So no I won't be apologizing for my "white privilege" or for anything else.  I refuse to feel guilty because I am white.   I refuse to apologize for what I have because I worked hard for it.  Nothing was just handed to me.  These people who want me to get on my knees and beg forgiveness because I'm white can kiss my fat fanny.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 10:30:19 am »
@Applewood nothing you say can exempt you from the charge of privilege. They simply tell you because you are white you don’t see the ways in which your privilege benefits you. You don’t know you’re privileged because you are not black. Nice racket. How do you get out of that corral? “When did you stop beating your wife?”

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 12:25:15 pm »
 When I read articles like this from CNN or when they had that guest who said we should psychologically abuse white kids I don’t even get upset. Because these are the reasons why CNN’s ratings are in the toilet
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 01:06:32 pm »
FU CNN!

You know what privlidge is?  Slopping  at the entitlement trough since the LBJ days......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 01:51:00 pm »
'White privilege' and 'systemic racism' are terms derived from Marxist ideological thinking to make the majority second class citizens, simply by one group claiming 'systemic oppression' by another group, and demanding the latter now prostrate itself before the former.

Which is all being done in a multiethnic nation, where the once significant but now dwindling minority group is attempting to maintain relevancy within the melting pot, by leveraging long past grievances into top dog status within society, even though a significant percentage of the population has no part in those grievances.

All it is, is a supremacist power play. It is not striving to achieve equality or fairness. And that drive for supremacy is based on the foundation that all other groups are to be preyed upon in a predatory system where the dominant group obeys no laws or rules of civil society.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 08:52:25 pm »
Vulcan wrote:
"...Which is all being done in a multiethnic nation..."

Multi-ethnic nations cannot -- can never -- be unified nations.

And because they cannot be unified, they will not remain "nations" very long.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 09:01:31 pm »
@Applewood nothing you say can exempt you from the charge of privilege. They simply tell you because you are white you don’t see the ways in which your privilege benefits you. You don’t know you’re privileged because you are not black. Nice racket. How do you get out of that corral? “When did you stop beating your wife?”

@aligncare

It's much like when I was called "racist" for not swooning over Obama when he was president, or now being called an "enemy of the state" for not being a Trump supporter.  I've gotten to the point where I refuse to explain myself anymore.  I certainly won't apologize or beg forgiveness for feeling the way I do or for what I have.  As I said in my post, these people who accuse me of -- whatever it is -- can kiss my fat rear end.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 10:09:12 pm »

Don't expect anyone to cut you any slack either, and you'll do just fine.

My Basic Training Drill Sargeant (SFE E7) was a Native American from New Mexico. He commanded respect, for how he handled himself. 

I doubt he had benefitted from AA, but he readily admited one group surely did in those days. And we are still doing it now.

OTOH Asians get such high tests for college, they have a handicapping system it seems.

Ward Connerly did some real good in CA for awhile. Prop 209

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Connerly

I
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 12:02:42 am »
Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow

How about we talk to our kids about what a trash network CNN is.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/alex-christy/2020/06/06/cnn-urges-parents-talk-kids-about-their-privilege

9:56 AM · Jun 7, 2020·Twitter for Android

https://twitter.com/marklevinshow/status/1269629221229346822

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 12:58:20 am »
How stupid.

Nobody was born by choice on their race or gender.

No one should apologize for it either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 12:59:54 am »
Vulcan wrote:

That is the diversity lie in a nutshell.

Diversity makes one weaker, not stronger.

One example is who believes we are a stronger country by speaking more than one common language?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 01:26:02 am »
Vulcan wrote:

It's Multi-Cultural, not Multi-Ethnic.  People of different ethnicities can share a common culture,  it used to be called a "Melting Pot",  but now, even that term is considered to be racist.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 01:40:03 am »
dfw wrote:
"It's Multi-Cultural, not Multi-Ethnic.  People of different ethnicities can share a common culture,  it used to be called a "Melting Pot""

NO.
Ethnicity defines culture. The two cannot be easily separated.

The "melting pot" worked to the extent it did because during the first two centuries of our nation's history (up until 1965), the different "ethnicities" of which you speak just about all came from one continent -- Europe.

Whether from North/Western Europe or from Southern/Eastern Europe, they were still of the same underlying "ethnicity". And [with the exception of the Jews, of course], harboring essentially the same religious beliefs.

During that time, there were two distinct "ethnicities" that were not European of origin. The blacks (of course), and also the relative handful of Asians, mostly Chinese. Neither of these had been integrated via "the melting pot" in all that time.

There's a reason why the official immigration policy of The United States was what it was for so many years until being radically altered in 1965. How has the melting pot worked since then...?