Author Topic: NFL's Goodell says league was 'wrong' on player protests  (Read 1506 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NFL's Goodell says league was 'wrong' on player protests
« on: June 06, 2020, 12:27:02 am »
NFL's Goodell says league was 'wrong' on player protests
By Brooke Seipel - 06/05/20 07:37 PM EDT

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Friday called for peaceful protests against police brutality, reversing past opposition to such demonstrations and saying the NFL admits "we were wrong for not listening" to players earlier.

“We, the NFL, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of black people,” Goodell said in a video statement shared on Twitter.

“We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest,” he continued. “We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/501433-nfls-goodell-says-league-was-wrong-for-not-listening-to-nfl-players-peaceful
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:37:15 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: NFL's Goodell says league was 'wrong' on player protests
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 12:27:24 am »
Goodell takes a knee
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:28:55 am »
Stand down, Goodell. I don't need any more reasons to not watch NFL games.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:35:08 am »
Stand down, Goodell. I don't need any more reasons to not watch NFL games.

One thing this lockdown has done for me - it has confirmed that I can manage quite well without sports. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 12:42:21 am »
The NFL is dead to me.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 01:48:24 am »
The NFL is dead to me.
Ditto....I'm with you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 02:06:49 am »
One thing this lockdown has done for me - it has confirmed that I can manage quite well without sports.

I thought I’d miss baseball...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 02:12:37 am »

Try playing some factorio, it's way better than sports.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 08:57:20 am »
Goodell has to be the worst NFL commissioner ever.

And yes, there are always other things that can be done in lieu of watching sports.  Those of you who are married with kids -- how about spending time doing something fun with the family?  Play a board game (remember those?), put together a jigsaw puzzle, clean out the garage, read, stream any of bazillions of movies and tv shows, call your parents, relatives or friends...those are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. 

What I often do when the Steelers are playing is go to the supermarket to shop.  Seems to be the best time.  Before the game, the store is packed with people buying snacks and beverages.  But once the game starts, I could be the only shopper in the store.  It's a wonderful experience.

I said this elsewhere -- the NFL is full of overpaid, underworked players and now they are unAmerican too.  They are now on the side of this country's enemies.  Why should I give them my attention or hard-earned money?  They can shove their games.  I'd be happy if the NFL and most other pro sports never came back.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 11:40:56 am »
They must be anticipating not being allowed to have fans in the stands, and thus no longer have anything to lose. They figure "hey, they'll be desperate for football on TV!"

This is what happens.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 12:31:01 pm »
The NFL is dead to me.
As should be the NBA.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 12:34:56 pm »
They must be anticipating not being allowed to have fans in the stands, and thus no longer have anything to lose. They figure "hey, they'll be desperate for football on TV!"

This is what happens.

All three main professional sports leagues have committed mass suicide the past 10 years.  This is about the 5th out 10 domino to fall.  The next one will be fan apathy and added boycotts, #7 will be advertising dollars will dry up, ....  to a final result where greedy SJW addled owners and players will be taking 80-90% pay cuts.  And btw, MLB is ahead of the curve, where they are at a labor impasse that will possibly cancel this season.

I will take absolute joy when that takes place.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:36:37 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 12:37:15 pm »
As should be the NBA.

For me, the NBA hasn’t existed for a decade.

Once sports resume, can you imagine the pandering commercials and advertising?
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 12:46:03 pm »
I think the professional sports should stop playing the National Anthem before games. The lefties won't know whether to applaud its absence (because it's an evil symbol of white privilege, blahblahblah) or complain that they're being denied a protest - and thus First Amendment speech - opportunity.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 12:55:37 pm »
I think the professional sports should stop playing the National Anthem before games. The lefties won't know whether to applaud its absence (because it's an evil symbol of white privilege, blahblahblah) or complain that they're being denied a protest - and thus First Amendment speech - opportunity.

You got to realize that the ticket paying patron at an NBA, MLB, or NFL game is not the same demographic as your Antifa/BLM thugs.
Professional sports will do its best to placate and thread that needle between the SJW's and the actual people funding these overpaid bastards. It's delicate balance between a revolt of the players or a revolt of angry Middle America.  And right now League Commisoners and Team Owners are shitting in their pants, knowing that Golden Goose is close to getting cooked.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 01:34:44 pm »
...right now League Commisoners and Team Owners are shitting in their pants, knowing that Golden Goose is close to getting cooked.

Absolutely.  COVID has taught many that life goes on without sports.  Owners have taken enormous financial hits because of unfilled stadiums/arenas and advertising $$$ drying up.  Players are too myopic and insisting on their "share" regardless if the cash flow exists or not.  Self-appointed voices from the players often come off as foolish and insulting to the consumer.  Colin Kaepernick has a platform once more.  Minor leagues, colleges, high schools, junior sports are diminishing by the day. Female athletes are not always female, yet their voices demand "equality".  Sport palaces are now measured in the billions to build.  The TV experience is often superior to the live experience.  We largely dismiss coordinated cheating of our most revered game.  Yeah, if I owned a professional sports team, I'd soil my armor. 

Me?  I'm taking up fishing. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 01:35:55 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
·
1h
1. Adios Goodell and NFL. If you think so little of your fellow citizens and so many of your fans, who are law-abiding, people-loving Americans, and law-enforcement that protects all of you and your mostly taxpayer-subsidized stadiums, then go to hell.
Support the USO

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 01:47:27 pm »
Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
·
1h
1. Adios Goodell and NFL. If you think so little of your fellow citizens and so many of your fans, who are law-abiding, people-loving Americans, and law-enforcement that protects all of you and your mostly taxpayer-subsidized stadiums, then go to hell.

Hopefully LEO boycotts security at future games. 

Let the NFL police 50,000 drunken angry fans who know no one will stop them. 

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 01:54:14 pm »

In Philadelphia.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 06:01:10 pm »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 12:26:20 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 02:15:15 pm »
For me, the NBA hasn’t existed for a decade.

Once sports resume, can you imagine the pandering commercials and advertising?

It's closer to 20 for me, since I found out the NBA is OK with owners bribing the Refs.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 02:20:39 pm »
It's closer to 20 for me, since I found out the NBA is OK with owners bribing the Refs.

Truth is, I am more like you.  It has been decades and I have long been casual towards the NBA.  It has always seemed to me that for the typical NBA game, only the last two minutes matter. 
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 02:33:18 pm »
Truth is, I am more like you.  It has been decades and I have long been casual towards the NBA.  It has always seemed to me that for the typical NBA game, only the last two minutes matter.

It the only game I can think of (off the top of my head) where deliberate fouls are considered a proper strategy.  This is why the last two minutes of a close game always takes about a half-hour to play.  I think personal fouls should come with a personal fine of a few thousand bucks per infraction.  They're called "penalties" for a reason.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 03:52:52 pm »
Goodell takes a knee

@mystery-ak

Looks like he needs the practice,because he will soon be spending a lot of time on his knees.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!