Author Topic: Revolvers chambered in big calibers still popular  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Revolvers chambered in big calibers still popular
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:25:14 pm »
Cody Enterprise by BOB MEINECKE Jun 3, 2020

Despite what one may read in most “gun” magazines, in this part of the country anyway, revolvers are still quite popular for backcountry carry and social work. Consider the old saw, “Six for certain,” and you’ll understand our attachment.

They’re reliable, strong, intuitively easy to operate and come in a variety of assorted powerful chambering. Plus, in most cases, they’re less expensive than the magazine-fed, semi-automatics currently in vogue. But, like anything else, you get what you pay for and there are less expensive models in the dealer’s showcase that a person can purchase if that’s what they want.

I’ve owned several different models of semi-automatic pistols and even double-action-only revolvers over my lifetime, but for serious work like hunting or self-defense in the backcountry from rogue critters, I still favor the single-action, Old-West-style revolvers. I prefer Rugers for heavy-duty work and only in tank-busting calibers at that. As noted in a recent column, my current carry is a .480 Ruger single-action Bisley model modified by Dustin Linebaugh and converted into a .475 Linebaugh.

Serious loads run a 425 grain slug out the barrel at around 1,350 feet per second, or about the same as the old government trapdoor infantry rifle’s .45-70 loads. Recreational practice and plinking rounds sail a 335-grain chunk of lead at around 950-1,000 fps. Most hot-loaded .44-magnum handguns can only muster around 1,400 fps with a 240-grain bullet.

More: https://www.codyenterprise.com/news/sports/article_3d351a16-a5c6-11ea-ba1a-fb366af75b01.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Revolvers chambered in big calibers still popular
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 12:01:05 am »
My Taurus Judge looks like a revolver from a cartoon.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:32:14 am »
My Taurus Judge looks like a revolver from a cartoon.

How does it group 45LC out of it?  My TC Contender 45/410 didn't group 45s worth a damn, but it's my goto water moccasin gun. I use my Ruger Blackhawk for 45s.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 12:34:20 am »
How does it group 45LC out of it?  My TC Contender 45/410 didn't group 45s worth a damn, but it's my goto water moccasin gun. Is use my Ruger Blackhawk for 45s.

I'd never expect a good grouping from a glorified sawed-off shotgun.  I'll go to my .357 S&W if I want an accurate shot, or my 9mm.  The Judge is for shooting snakes and home-invasion robbers.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 12:48:04 am »
I'd never expect a good grouping from a glorified sawed-off shotgun.  I'll go to my .357 S&W if I want an accurate shot, or my 9mm.  The Judge is for shooting snakes and home-invasion robbers.

If it was my Castle I was defending, I'd use a full sized shotgun.

Shotgun for your self-defense
by Swift | Silent | Deadly 1 day ago
https://sofrep.com/gear/defensive-shotgun-setup-tips/

The Box O’ Truth #53 – The Taurus Judge, Revisited
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-53-the-taurus-judge-revisited/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 12:54:45 am »
If it was my Castle I was defending, I'd use a full sized shotgun.

Shotgun for your self-defense
by Swift | Silent | Deadly 1 day ago
https://sofrep.com/gear/defensive-shotgun-setup-tips/

The Box O’ Truth #53 – The Taurus Judge, Revisited
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-53-the-taurus-judge-revisited/

We have a coupla Remington 1100's.  I think they'll do.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 01:12:47 am »
So the Judge just really doesn't cut it as a big caliber revolver. Take my 45 Blackhawk for example. I can load it so hot that it starts to deform the lettering on the case head. That Judge ain't even rated for +P 45LC ammo. The 45LC was originally a black powder cartridge so it has plenty of chamber space. Fill that space with some WW296 behind a 300 grainer and that gun roars. But now there are so many stock cartridges that you don't have to overamp. It's amazing that I haven't blown that Blackhawk up with the loads I've run thru it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:13:41 am by Elderberry »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 01:44:30 am »
So the Judge just really doesn't cut it as a big caliber revolver. Take my 45 Blackhawk for example. I can load it so hot that it starts to deform the lettering on the case head. That Judge ain't even rated for +P 45LC ammo. The 45LC was originally a black powder cartridge so it has plenty of chamber space. Fill that space with some WW296 behind a 300 grainer and that gun roars. But now there are so many stock cartridges that you don't have to overamp. It's amazing that I haven't blown that Blackhawk up with the loads I've run thru it.

Blackhawk is a good weapon, and I don't think I could hit the broad side of a barn with a .45 LC slug from the Judge.  It's a scattergun.  I have a matched set of Blackhawks:  .357 and .44 Mag.  I don't shoot with them, they are in a display case in my coffee table.  I really don't like the one-cartridge-at-a-time loading.

I'd rather have a Redhawk.  The S&W .357 does a fine job of giving me a tight grouping.  I was surprised at how smooth it handles at 25 yards.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 02:08:25 am »
When I was stationed on the Lex, I outshot my shipmates with my 3" bbl. 38 Special  S&W Chief's Special. Don't let anyone tell you, you can't be accurate with a short barreled revolver. Though I got plenty of practice. I shot every week at either one of the many sand pits, or we'd drive into the tree farms to shoot. I know I ran over 5,000 rounds thru that little gun. I have always been a revolver shooter, with a few exceptions, until recently. Now I've been packing semi's.

But this article is about them bigger revolvers.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 02:11:27 am »
When I was stationed on the Lex, I outshot my shipmates with my 3" bbl. 38 Special  S&W Chief's Special. Don't let anyone tell you, you can't be accurate with a short barreled revolver. Though I got plenty of practice. I shot every week at either one of the many sand pits, or we'd drive into the tree farms to shoot. I know I ran over 5,000 rounds thru that little gun. I have always been a revolver shooter, with a few exceptions, until recently. Now I've been packing semi's.

But this article is about them bigger revolvers.

It is, and if I want to be sure to hit what I'm shooting at, I like revolvers.  The Taurus Judge is basically a sawed-off shotgun, and isn't conducive to marksmanship.  The long chamber in the revolver just isn't that good at keeping the gasses where they belong.  It's cool holding the shortened .410 though.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 02:27:02 am »
Don't know, 38s are as big a caliber I have... I like em and don't really care for much more kick.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 02:56:37 am »
The 45/410 barrel I have for the Contender is 10" long and has a choke that has straight grooves that stops the spin of the shot imparted by the barrel rifling. It groups pretty well as I've shot moccasins out of trees some 25 yds away. You take the choke off to shoot 45s, but I only shoot 410s out of it.