Author Topic: The President Has the Constitutional Power to Restore Order. He Must Act. By Andrew C. McCarthy  (Read 749 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The President Has the Constitutional Power to Restore Order. He Must Act.
| National Review
 Andrew C. McCarthy

What has happened over the last few nights in major cities of the United States is unacceptable. It has gotten worse because of federal and state passivity.

Law enforcement is a vital response to any riotous uprising. Indeed, I believe the failure to enforce the laws without apology from the start of the upheaval last week has fueled its ferocity. It would be naïve to claim that much of the violence, which is being incited and coordinated by radical groups, might not have happened anyway — these groups are always on a hair-trigger, pouncing on any opportunity to make mayhem. But how badly things get out of control has a lot to do with the resolve of state and federal law enforcement. The laws do not enforce themselves.

Progressive dogma notwithstanding, rioting spearheaded by radicals and anarchists does not exhaust itself if governments just give them time and space to get their yah-yahs out. Passivity, conveying the message that the laws will not be enforced, is provocative. It increases the appetite for rioting, which is only sated once the sociopaths have run out of things to burn and loot.

That said, law enforcement on its own is inadequate to restore order once order has been lost. Police and prosecutorial offices simply do not have the resources to quell widespread seditionist violence. Consequently, other provisions of law must be considered.

Under Article IV of the Constitution, the United States guarantees every state a republican form of government, protection against invasion, and — on request of the state government — protection from domestic violence. In furtherance of this provision, Congress enacted legislation, most notably, the Insurrection Act of 1807, which empowers the president “to suppress, in any State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy.” Obviously, suppressing such attacks requires deploying the United States armed forces as needed.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/the-president-has-the-constitutional-power-to-restore-order-he-must-act/?utm_source=recirc-desktop&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=river&utm_content=featured-content-trending&utm_term=first
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Invoking the Insurrection Act will create the largest imbroglio we've seen to date.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Cyber wrote:
"Invoking the Insurrection Act will create the largest imbroglio we've seen to date..."

I sense you're right.
But...
NOT invoking it will result in much worse consequences -- the loss of the country and the overthrow of the government.

Do what must be done and be prepared to "go all the way" to win.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Invoking the Insurrection Act will create the largest imbroglio we've seen to date.

He's not a politician.  He'll use the power to restore order/safety.  And he'll have to do it quickly.

In the end...this is going to have the same effect on the American People/voter that 1968 SDS (Students for a Democrat Society) group did in their clash with Chicago Police during the Democratic Convention.

The end result was 22 years straight without a Democrat President.  Who wouldn't want to see that again?  LOL!

President Trump needs our prayers right now.    :0001:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I didn't say I'd be against it...just expect a world-class shitstorm when it happens.   :2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

He's not a politician.  He'll use the power to restore order/safety.  And he'll have to do it quickly.

In the end...this is going to have the same effect on the American People/voter that 1968 SDS (Students for a Democrat Society) group did in their clash with Chicago Police during the Democratic Convention.

The end result was 22 years straight without a Democrat President.  Who wouldn't want to see that again?  LOL!

President Trump needs our prayers right now.    :0001:

Well, there was that brief Vacation from History that was the Carter years....
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

Unfortunately, that's a real possibility; Illinois is already pushing back.  If other states follow that will become a real problem for Trump.  It's already being reported on CNN that states must request assistance with the military and Trump just can't send the military in.  Not true -- but that is what is being reported, that is what a good deal of the populace is going to believe and if states continue to contradict his orders, it's going to be a cluster for Trump and in essence it will make him look incompetent and ineffective.  Can the governors order the State National Guard to go against the U.S. military??? 

TinaSfon
@TinaSfon
·
1h
Pritzker on what he'll do if Trump mobilizes the military in Illinois: "Well, it's illegal. He can't do it. We won't request military assistance here in the state of Illinois. I can't imagine why any governor is going to do that. This is, it's ridiculous."

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Well, there was that brief Vacation from History that was the Carter years....

Never heard of him.   :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I believe I read here earlier, he was supposed to clear that irst, with CNN.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bele wonders:
"Can the governors order the State National Guard to go against the U.S. military???"

I don't think any National Guardsman with a lick of sense in 'im is going to try that.

Who do they take their oaths to when they enlisted in the service? Which one is "highest" in the chain of command?

This is not a door that the state governors better open. They are NOT gonna like what they find inside...

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
It's already being reported on CNN that states must request assistance with the military and Trump just can't send the military in.

Can the governors order the State National Guard to go against the U.S. military??? 

Let's hope Kayleigh is ready to hang Orval Faubus and "State's Rights" around their necks.  Force the media and the left to argue that states can nullify Federal orders which are supported by both the Constitution and Federal legislation, that 14th Amendment Equal Protection requirements can be ignored by Democrats, just like they tried in 1957.  Cram that down their throats until they vomit and then make them eat it again.
James 1:20

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Doesn't matter.  If he feels it necessary to use that to restore order he has to do it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Doesn't matter.  If he feels it necessary to use that to restore order he has to do it.

Yes.  If it must be an imbroglio, let it be a good one.  I am not imbroglio-averse.
I will NOT comply.

Offline goatprairie

Cyber wrote:
"Invoking the Insurrection Act will create the largest imbroglio we've seen to date..."

I sense you're right.
But...
NOT invoking it will result in much worse consequences -- the loss of the country and the overthrow of the government.

Do what must be done and be prepared to "go all the way" to win.
:beer:

Offline goatprairie

I was visiting TOS and they had a thread about Trump using force on the rioters. Most of the TOSers were against him using force. They thought Trump shouldn't do anything and let the Dem govs. look bad.
That's like voting for the leftist Dem candidate in an election hoping he'll do bad things and people will see how bad Dems are.
The first duty of a president is to protect the citizenry.
If the various Dem govs. are unable to protect their citizens, then the prez must step in with all appropriate force if necessary.

Offline libertybele

:beer:

Let's hope that this President realizes the enormity of what he needs to do.  Prayers up for this President.

Meanwhile .... Pence is well hidden, hopefully out of danger, ready to take over if necessary.  A terrible thought, but he's been out of the picture for obvious reasons.

Offline libertybele

I was visiting TOS and they had a thread about Trump using force on the rioters. Most of the TOSers were against him using force. They thought Trump shouldn't do anything and let the Dem govs. look bad.
That's like voting for the leftist Dem candidate in an election hoping he'll do bad things and people will see how bad Dems are.
If the various Dem govs. are unable to protect their citizens, then the prez must step in with all appropriate force if necessary.

The DEMS are the root of the problem.  IF this situation isn't under control very soon, there isn't going to be an election period.  An attempt to overthrow this government is happening.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
bele wonders:
"Can the governors order the State National Guard to go against the U.S. military???"

I don't think any National Guardsman with a lick of sense in 'im is going to try that.

Who do they take their oaths to when they enlisted in the service? Which one is "highest" in the chain of command?

This is not a door that the state governors better open. They are NOT gonna like what they find inside...
Seems to me the whole 'states in rebellion' thing has been tried before. And regardless, those states had the Federal presence imposed by force. At the time, New York, Michigan, and Illinois were among the states doing the imposing with the Federal Government. They might not like being on the other end of that.
There is precedent, but it gets messy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

They have a point. Hold off in those States until the people there demand federal intervention. Otherwise, the whine will be that he made it worse.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cyber Liberty

Yes,and you can be sure he knows this. He is holding off and waiting for enough prominent people DEMAND he do it so that the left can make no claims about him creating a police state,which,ironically enough,is what the left is after.

Once he can be seen to be doing "the will of the people",he is a hero for doing so,not a villain.

Timing is everything.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goatprairie

They have a point. Hold off in those States until the people there demand federal intervention. Otherwise, the whine will be that he made it worse.
How many innocent people be hurt and destruction of property be allowed before the president acts?
How do private citizens go about demanding fed intervention? What if they are demanding fed intervention, and their state authorities/govs refuse to act?
 You can't allow cities to burn down and innocent people hurt because the proper state authorities refuse to act.
At some point the power of the prez comes into play. That time is now.

Offline Smokin Joe

How many innocent people be hurt and destruction of property be allowed before the president acts?
How do private citizens go about demanding fed intervention? What if they are demanding fed intervention, and their state authorities/govs refuse to act?
 You can't allow cities to burn down and innocent people hurt because the proper state authorities refuse to act.
At some point the power of the prez comes into play. That time is now.
There are limitations on what the President can do. Most, in fact, the vast majority of this is on the governments of the individual jurisdictions in which there is no meaningful official resistance mounted, even as the authorities there decry the use of force by home  and business owners to defend their property. Those same officials stand behind microphones mewling flaccid statements of 'getting along' while effectively failing to deter violence.
To those who own(ed) those businesses, homes, cars, etc., the mask has come off. Antifa is being exposed as the communists they are, not just to the people not protesting, but those who are.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1267101707596632066

High time Antifa was exposed, for exactly who and what they are

https://youtu.be/EuNKs0RKHtw

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

@Bigun
Trump may be waiting for his troops to get in place and ready....

Offline WoodrowF.Call

Let's hope that this President realizes the enormity of what he needs to do.  Prayers up for this President.

Meanwhile .... Pence is well hidden, hopefully out of danger, ready to take over if necessary.  A terrible thought, but he's been out of the picture for obvious reasons.

I agree. He has to step up and soon! I hope he can do this.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@goatprarie

Presidents are obligated to take action to SAVE THE NATION,not save individuals.

It ain't pretty,but that's the way it has to be.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!