Author Topic: Are Temperature Checks Just Covid-Prevention Theater?  (Read 456 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Are Temperature Checks Just Covid-Prevention Theater?
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:56:36 am »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-28/coronavirus-temperature-checks-can-miss-feverless-covid-cases
Monitoring customers and employees for fevers is becoming common practice, but maybe it shouldn’t.

By Stephen L. Carter
May 28, 2020

Measuring the body’s heat has become the latest solution to the how-to-open-in-a-pandemic conundrum. I understand, and even share, the determination to get things moving again. But I worry that our new enthusiasm for constant temperature-taking might turn out to be mainly security theater, an effort to make us feel better without regard to whether we're actually safer. The reasons for my uneasiness are several.

(excerpt)

Short version: we don't know how many coronavirus cases have fever (could be anywhere from 30-80% of cases), elevated body temperature is caused by any number of things, from a virus to exercise, our criteria for what constitutes a fever is over a century old and flawed, and loss of smell is likely to be a more distinguishing symptom of the virus.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Re: Are Temperature Checks Just Covid-Prevention Theater?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:21:27 am »
We're hoping the PA governor will permit our church to resume meeting in a few weeks (not holding my breath). We'll be checking temps as people arrive. I should share this article with some of the brethren.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 02:33:17 am »
I don't leave my house unless it is to go to orthopedic doctor who is in practice with many other orthopedic doctors.  Yes, going in the building, there is a couple of tables with masks and someone checks your temperature.  This is not for your benefit, it is to keep you out if you have an elevated temperature and they should do this.

It is mainly older people who have orthopedic problems and no one with an elevated temp should be in there with these older people, as it could be the virus causing it to be up.  That doesn't mean a person with the virus and no elevated temp. is not in there, but the temp check is one way to eliminate one case of virus from getting in there. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:34:19 am by Victoria33 »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 02:52:54 am »
Why not insist bubble wrap be worn by all patients?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 03:26:52 am »
Masks, temps, distancing, are separate measures known to contribute some, to reducing infections/spreading.

There are aspects being learned, almost daily.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 03:30:32 am »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-28/coronavirus-temperature-checks-can-miss-feverless-covid-cases
Monitoring customers and employees for fevers is becoming common practice, but maybe it shouldn’t.

Also...  how many asymptomatic cases (including those with no temperature) are contagious? 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.