Author Topic: 'Tantamount to monopoly': Trump signs executive order to curb 'unchecked power' of social media gian  (Read 1426 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Are they really privately owned if they’re listed on the stock exchange? And if they are publicly traded aren’t there rules and regulations that come into play?

The financial realm is completely out of my wheelhouse, so could use some input here.

Really tough question.  No one person owns 50% + 1 share, so it is publically owned.  So from a governance standpoint, it has always been my understanding that companies of this nature are first subject to federal, state, and local  and regulations,  and then secondly by company governance in the forms of polices, procedures dictated by their own board of directors.  Something like the first amendment rights is so vague and ambigous that companies pretty much can interpret it for its best interest.  What's happening right now is pretty remarkable, and can envison a lot of court action before we really know where our laws stand on this matter. 

Just my take.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline aligncare

Really tough question.  No one person owns 50% + 1 share, so it is publically owned.  So from a governance standpoint, it has always been my understanding that companies of this nature are first subject to federal, state, and local  and regulations,  and then secondly by company governance in the forms of polices, procedures dictated by their own board of directors.  Something like the first amendment rights is so vague and ambigous that companies pretty much can interpret it for its best interest.  What's happening right now is pretty remarkable, and can envison a lot of court action before we really know where our laws stand on this matter. 

Just my take.

Thanks. I expect corporate attorneys will be grappling with those complexities you cited for some time to come. I’m just glad someone is taking it to Facebook and Twitter and doing something.

I read where psychologists are reporting problems with emotional and psychological health of individuals—especially young people, who are having serious issues with social media addiction.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Just a question here, well maybe more than one.  Are we talking about the little blue check marks?  They are on everything.  I went to Nancy Pelosi's twitter and she is all fact checked too.  They don't seem to mean anything because they are on everything.  I don't do twitter so I really don't know.

Secondly,......When Trump says a story is fake news isn't he doing exactly the same thing?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Just a question here, well maybe more than one.  Are we talking about the little blue check marks?  They are on everything.  I went to Nancy Pelosi's twitter and she is all fact checked too.  They don't seem to mean anything because they are on everything.  I don't do twitter so I really don't know.

Secondly,......When Trump says a story is fake news isn't he doing exactly the same thing?

The blue check marks are only an indication that the account is verified as the real person claimed.  That does not mean Pelosi's Tweets have been fact checked and proven accurate.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

The blue check marks are only an indication that the account is verified as the real person claimed.  That does not mean Pelosi's Tweets have been fact checked and proven accurate.

What is a bad check?  I just went there to see if she had any.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What is a bad check?  I just went there to see if she had any.

Until now, there were never "bad checks."  They were created just for Donald Trump.  Special treatment.  That's sort of the whole point here.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

Until now, there were never "bad checks."  They were created just for Donald Trump.  Special treatment.  That's sort of the whole point here.

I didn't see it.  But I think that much of the stuff Trump posts could have bad checks.  I agree though that if they are going to do it they should fact check everyone.  But then of course that would be a huge job.

My guess is that they said fake news Donald.  That's what I say every time I visit.

But I have to say I lost track of what the bad check was about.  I think that mail in voting can and does lead to voter fraud.  If it had been about conspiracy I would have said check, check, check.

And its now painfully obvious.  Twitter doesn't even know the appropriate time to check.  Missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:11:25 am by Chosen Daughter »