Author Topic: 'Tantamount to monopoly': Trump signs executive order to curb 'unchecked power' of social media gian  (Read 1427 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Tantamount to monopoly': Trump signs executive order to curb 'unchecked power' of social media giants
by Spencer Neale
 | May 28, 2020 04:31 PM

President Trump signed an executive order targeting social media companies for the way they regulate content on their platforms.

Speaking from the Oval Office on Thursday, Trump accused Twitter and other social media giants of repressing free speech.

"What they're doing is tantamount to monopoly, you can say it's tantamount to taking over the airwaves," Trump said. "Can't let it happen. Otherwise, we're not going to have a Democracy, we're not going to have anything to do with a republic."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/tantamount-to-monopoly-trump-signs-executive-order-to-curb-unchecked-power-of-social-media-giants
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

I don't know where I am on this one...
Federal 'deciders' make me itch too.

Offline Night Hides Not

What is preventing another entrepreneur from starting his/her own social media platform?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online roamer_1

What is preventing another entrepreneur from starting his/her own social media platform?

That would be the best alternative, but similar to a mafioso consortium, They're locked out for a long time to come. It takes a very long time to take back the 'streets' as it were. Which is why I don't know where to stand on this.

The point at hand is broad protections for 'forums' against liability for content... providing it is an open forum, similar to a flea market - Providing the exchanges are lawful or beyond the property/event-holder's knowledge he is not liable for what people are selling.

But the minute there is an editorial stand, something like a thumb on the scale, swinging the influence in a direction, the forum is no longer an open square, but is now a publisher - Using editorial command to direct the place.

And those broad protections cease to apply
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:34:45 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The tech companies are taking advantage of their exemptions from laws governing publishers of content.  Since everybody decided President Tweety is evil, then it's imperative we let Zuck and the Twitter guy have their way with our discourse.  Because Trump.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdinVA

The tech companies are taking advantage of their exemptions from laws governing publishers of content.  Since everybody decided President Tweety is evil, then it's imperative we let Zuck and the Twitter guy have their way with our discourse.  Because Trump.
All of the big companies are abusing the pubic trust, not just the tech companies...
The question is, what, if anything, can/should we do about it?

Offline skeeter

Maybe it’d help if we pretend it’s W’s EO.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
All of the big companies are abusing the pubic trust, not just the tech companies...
The question is, what, if anything, can/should we do about it?

You start off by breaking up the media monopolies.  Nothing else can happen as long as the left is screaming in our ears.  Bookface, and now Twitter have bared themselves as players in the game now, and not simple curators.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

You start off by breaking up the media monopolies.  Nothing else can happen as long as the left is screaming in our ears.  Bookface, and now Twitter have bared themselves as players in the game now, and not simple curators.

But it isn't a monopoly. more like a racket. consortium.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
But it isn't a monopoly. more like a racket. consortium.

Toe-MAY-toe, toe-MAH-toe...

Yes, exactly.  A racket.  A Guild.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
You start off by breaking up the media monopolies. 

The US has history of breaking up oil cos. banks, railroads, telecoms, etc.

The case for breaking up social tech cos. today, is just as strong as those previous cases.

Other aspect is "throttling," deplatforming, demonetizing, shadowbanning, etc.

Trump knows it, the owners Zuck and Dorsey know it too.

There are billionairres$ waiting invest, too.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This is a tough one because private companies are not bound by the 1st amendment, but they are large enough today to control the speech of everyone on their platform, to a degree that can influence votes and elections and the makeup of our govt.

While the Founders designed for limited govt and free speech, they also didn't envision private corps having control of it either.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
This is a tough one because private companies are not bound by the 1st amendment, but they are large enough today to control the speech of everyone on their platform, to a degree that can influence votes and elections and the makeup of our govt.

While the Founders designed for limited govt and free speech, they also didn't envision private corps having control of it either.

I really don't know which way to sway on this one.  Government intervention is one thing, content  manipulation by a left leaning industry is another.  My biggest fear is what happens when you have a left leaning government in cahoots with the existing tech liberal ideology. Putting that into play in my estimation will result in  mass censorship. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

Yes, but that is actually tangential to the point.
The operational law protects various fora from suit. They are protected as 'town squares'.
If they are not functioning as such (because they ARE censoring), then they are otherwise classified as publishers and are made open to suit.

So while it is about free speech, it ain't really about free speech.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Yes, but that is actually tangential to the point.
The operational law protects various fora from suit. They are protected as 'town squares'.
If they are not functioning as such (because they ARE censoring), then they are otherwise classified as publishers and are made open to suit.

So while it is about free speech, it ain't really about free speech.

If you look at least half of all our postings, we are a SJW's nightmare.  Watch what happens and what starts constituing "hate speech".
Relinqushing control of that rein to the government will only accelerate that via statutes and regulations.  The more I think about it, the more I am leaning for the government to butt out. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
If you look at least half of all our postings, we are a SJW's nightmare.  Watch what happens and what starts constituing "hate speech".
Relinqushing control of that rein to the government will only accelerate that via statutes and regulations.  The more I think about it, the more I am leaning for the government to butt out.

I think your right.

More government interference is not a good idea.  Trump has been tweeting for years.  Who cares if they put a fact check.  They have said that does not mean what was written is wrong, just that people should check it themselves.  Does not stop anyone from tweeting.

Well, its too late.  He already put the EO in place.  We are moving in a police state where government is in control of everything.

This is real censorship by the government.:

Senate rejects FISA amendment to block government from spying on citizens' Internet history

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/may/13/senate-rejects-fisa-amendment-block-government-spy/

We should be more worried about this. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:43:45 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline LMAO

I think your right.

More government interference is not a good idea.  Trump has been tweeting for years.  Who cares if they put a fact check.  They have said that does not mean what was written is wrong, just that people should check it themselves.  Does not stop anyone from tweeting.

Well, its too late.  He already put the EO in place.  We are moving in a police state where government is in control of everything.

This is real censorship by the government.:

Senate rejects FISA amendment to block government from spying on citizens' Internet history

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/may/13/senate-rejects-fisa-amendment-block-government-spy/

We should be more worried about this.

@Chosen Daughter

My instinct is  towards less, not more, government intervention.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

@Chosen Daughter

Me too. But this is less... This is about removing protections in the law that currently protect social media platforms from suit.

Offline bilo

@Chosen Daughter

Lifting protections from liability is not govt. control of speech. A couple million dollar law suits going against facebook and twitter will cause them to rethink their position. Once the lawyers are successful the flood gates will open.

Liberals are quick to virtue signal with other peoples money, when they start risking their personal fortunes they start rethinking.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Me too. But this is less... This is about removing protections in the law that currently protect social media platforms from suit.

I know where you are going with this , but political winds change.  What might seem like an advantage now of free speech, might boomarang on us later.  Can you imagine a despot like Warren flooding a barrage of EO's and laws in a manner to muzzle conservatives permanently?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Lifting protections from liability is not govt. control of speech. A couple million dollar law suits going against facebook and twitter will cause them to rethink their position. Once the lawyers are successful the flood gates will open.

Liberals are quick to virtue signal with other peoples money, when they start risking their personal fortunes they start rethinking.

I agree. If they are going to control content and editorialize to a particular bent that's inconsistent with their stated policy, then they shouldn't have protection from private suits.

They want free speech, but want to deny it to someone else. They should at least be able to be called on the carpet by other private entities also wanting their free speech.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And it is ALSO about the break up of monopolies, which has ample precedents.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

I know where you are going with this , but political winds change.  What might seem like an advantage now of free speech, might boomarang on us later.  Can you imagine a despot like Warren flooding a barrage of EO's and laws in a manner to muzzle conservatives permanently?

Oh that's right - I am not for the EO. I have been a constant critic of his governance by EO, so I am entirely with you on that. But as a matter of law, it is removing protections that essentially create a preference.

And yeah... Unintended consequences... I know... Something that could come to effect us right here on TBR... It's a monkey knot. One that I would rather have a far seeing Conservative administer.

And I am already on the record saying he will lose on this one btw.

Online roamer_1

And it is ALSO about the break up of monopolies, which has ample precedents.

Nope. Not monopoly... Racketeering in a weird way, but not a monopoly.

Offline aligncare

Are they really privately owned if they’re listed on the stock exchange? And if they are publicly traded aren’t there rules and regulations that come into play?

The financial realm is completely out of my wheelhouse, so could use some input here.