Author Topic: Christian Singer Jonathan Steingard Says He No Longer Believes in God  (Read 942 times)

Online Hoodat

Christian Singer Jonathan Steingard Says He No Longer Believes in God

Klaritza Rico   |   27 May 2020

Jonathan Steingard, the frontman of the Christian rock band Hawk Nelson, has admitted he no longer believes in God.

In a lengthy post that was shared on his Instagram account last week, the singer revealed that after a lifetime as a Christian, he no longer believes in God and would be leaving the band.

“After growing up in a Christian home, being a pastor’s kid, playing and singing in a Christian band, and having the word ‘Christian’ in front of most of the things in my life — I am now finding that I no longer believe in God,” read Steingard’s statement. “The last few words of that sentence were hard to write. I still find myself wanting to soften that statement by wording it differently or less specifically – but it wouldn’t be as true.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/christian-jonathan-steingard-no-longer-believes-god-hawk-nelson-1234617642/

Hate to see someone struggling like this.  However, G-d still believes in Steingard.  If the last few words of his sentence were hard to write, then there is still something there.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Does he get to keep the money he earned as a "Christian Musician?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Does he get to keep the money he earned as a "Christian Musician?"

Like politicians, some musicians use a particular genre as a foot in the door to the business they can’t get into any other way. It doesn’t mean they actually believe the stuff they sell.

This guy is particularly loathsome as he is publicly refuting those who bought his music. Maybe he has no ulterior motive but truth telling but I’d guess he feels he needs to do this to ascend to the next level in his career.

Offline roamer_1

The crossroads. Another one bites the dust.

Offline mountaineer

Sounds like he was desperate for attention. I'm not familiar with him or his band, but my CCM knowledge doesn't extend much past the mid 1980s. (Insert boomer reference here).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I had a real estate business client that was a part of the music aspect of thelate 60s/early 70s Calvary movement, Rev. Chuck Smith, Church in a big tent by the freeway.

(Buddy King, Soundcastle studio) now deceased

aka "Jesus People Movement."

eg. "Maraanatha" music
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:56:51 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The crossroads. Another one bites the dust.
Put that boy in a foxhole. He'll be back.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Put that boy in a foxhole. He'll be back.

Hard to wish that on him... Kinda.  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hard to wish that on him... Kinda.  :shrug:
It is. The Almighty will find a way to bring him around if that is His Will.

It might get a little rough, though.
I don't know the plan, but every time I strayed I found some rough going.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It is. The Almighty will find a way to bring him around if that is His Will.

It might get a little rough, though.
I don't know the plan, but every time I strayed I found some rough going.

Yeah... It about took a 2x4 upside my head... So I get it...

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Yeah... It about took a 2x4 upside my head... So I get it...

And in other ways too.

Listen in depth to Beethoven's 5th, 4th movement. Karajan's version, the best
Look west at the Teton's off Hwy 89 on a bright sunny morning
View a field of wildflowers at their peak on a spring day
Go to zoo and see the multitude of variabiilty in life, in shape, form, and color.

I refuse to believe that an event in an ocean tidal pool 3 billion years ago, could have such a profound dominoing randomness to make all this happen.  It's just not plausible.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

And in other ways too.

Listen in depth to Beethoven's 5th, 4th movement. Karajan's version, the best
Look west at the Teton's off Hwy 89 on a bright sunny morning
View a field of wildflowers at their peak on a spring day
Go to zoo and see the multitude of variabiilty in life, in shape, form, and color.

I refuse to believe that an event in an ocean tidal pool 3 billion years ago, could have such a profound dominoing randomness to make all this happen.  It's just not plausible.

That's right... Walking through mountain cathedrals along clearwater streams... the wind whispering his name in the pines....  There ain't a question in my mind.

:beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There are many conversion stories where people just like him have walked away from the faith, then come back.

It's human nature to doubt. The often nebulous nature of God only serves to fuel those doubts. To tell the truth, though I won't go as far as to doubt God's existence, I can see a possibility that He does not exist, and there are many times—more and more as of late, it seems—where I find myself frustrated and disappointed by what seems to be God's refusal to live up to His promises in the scriptures. I do appreciate Steingard's honesty and his unwillingness to put up a façade just for continuity's sake, and I suppose that if God is a forgiving God, He would be more forgiving of doubt than of deceit.

But I do hope that he experiences something that brings him back to the fold.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

‘God is still for Jon’: Hawk Nelson bandmates respond to lead singer renouncing his faith
By Jeannie Law, Christian Post Reporter
Thursday, May 28, 2020

Jon Steingard's Hawk Nelson bandmates say they still love and support their frontman unconditionally and know God hasn't forsaken him even after his declaration last week that he “no longer believes in God.”

Hawk Nelson released their final record two years ago and fulfilled their recording agreement with their record label. The group collectively toured for 20 years together until last year.

In response to Steingard’s Instagram post where he confessed “I no longer believe in God,” his bandmates Daniel Biro, David Niacaris and Micah Kuiper released a statement about their “best friend’s” announcement.

“Our mission as Hawk Nelson has always been to inspire and encourage all people with the truth that God is FOR them and not against them. In that message’s most simple and purest form, that THEY matter,” they wrote.

“So now we turn that truth toward one of our own. That God is still FOR Jon & he still matters. Why? Because that truth doesn’t change just because we question it,” they added.  ...
 Christian Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

To tell the truth, though I won't go as far as to doubt God's existence, I can see a possibility that He does not exist, and there are many times—more and more as of late, it seems—where I find myself frustrated and disappointed by what seems to be God's refusal to live up to His promises in the scriptures.

And therein lies the key.  G-d disappointed me.  G-d didn't do what I wanted Him to do.  G-d let me down.  G-d doesn't care.  This is the root.  It isn't a matter of existence.  It is  a matter of G-d not living up to my expectations, so out of anger or hurt, I choose to pretend He doesn't exist.

For me, I know G-d exists and that He loves me more than I could ever fathom - a love that goes beyond my understanding.  My knowledge of this goes far beyond scripture.  My knowledge is based upon my own personal relationship with Him.  It is based upon the miraculous transformation He has made in me.  When I called out, He answered me and showed me great and mighty things which I did not know.  When I took a fearless and searching moral inventory of my life, He revealed Himself to me and showed me all the places He was during those times.  He has demonstrated His love for me again and again, showing me always that He wants the best for me.

In our human mindsets, keep in mind that our brains are not our friends.  And our human existence is bound by time.  G-d does not have these shortcomings.  His brain knows all, and He is able to transcend time.  I always try to remain cognizant of that.  God knows the big picture.  I don't.  So I make a decision to place my trust in Him.  Sure, in my own mindset there have been disappointments.  But I am reminded of the hell I lived in before I first uttered that prayer asking Him to reveal Himself to me.

If you doubt G-d's existence, then ask Him to show Himself to you.  Your life will never be the same.

Third Day  -  Show Me Your Glory

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-