Author Topic: Grassley says White House 'failed' on watchdog firings  (Read 325 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Grassley says White House 'failed' on watchdog firings
« on: May 27, 2020, 03:29:38 am »
Grassley says White House 'failed' on watchdog firings

By Andrew Desiderio 1 hr ago

White House Counsel Pat Cipollone told a top Republican senator on Tuesday that President Donald Trump acted appropriately when he fired two independent government watchdogs.

The long-awaited response, which Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) demanded after Trump fired the inspectors general for the intelligence community and the State Department, comes after lawmakers on both sides of the aisle expressed concern with the president’s actions and asserted that he did not comply with a statute requiring a detailed explanation for those firings.

In a subsequent statement, Grassley said Cipollone’s response “failed to address” that requirement, which was codified in a 2008 law that Grassley co-authored.

“I don’t dispute the president’s authority under the Constitution, but without sufficient explanation, it’s fair to question the president’s rationale for removing an inspector general,” Grassley said. “If the president has a good reason to remove an inspector general, just tell Congress what it is. Otherwise, the American people will be left speculating whether political or self interests are to blame.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/grassley-says-white-house-failed-on-watchdog-firings/ar-BB14DL9p?ocid=spartanntp
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:31:23 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Slide Rule

Re: Grassley says White House 'failed' on watchdog firings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:51:36 pm »

It is fine that Americans are speculating as to the why of firings.

Americans have seen a 4 year fiasco by various government agencies
and independent actions of Congress. The reason is clear even for
every dim nitwit. No sense spending 10 seconds on a question from
a Republican Senator. And Grassley is an honorable Senator.
We have all seen and know.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:52:53 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:12:16 pm »

More than fine it is the right thing.  Grassley is a good Senator, but I bet they will run him off too.  Trump is creating a dynasty in our government.  Whether it is family or loyal subjects to the King.  Every time someone is fired and replaced, even with someone who isn't experienced Trumpists get on the bandwagon to condemn the person.

People don't even know how far the transformation has gone.  They say I should vote for Trump.  Lesser evil they say.  I don't know what is more evil than a government without checks and balances.  And many Republicans have or are retiring.  Not one Republican has a chance in Trump government unless Trump gives his stamp of approval in a tweet.

Campaign manager promises Trump 'dynasty' will propel party forward at Republican convention

“The Trumps will be a dynasty that will last for decades, propelling the Republican Party into a new party,” Parscale told state party activists, who responded with applause.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/politics/2019/09/08/trump-campaign-manager-tells-california-gop-trumps-a-dynasty/2198108001/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:19:47 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:31:36 pm »

Agree.

Is congress answerable to the executive for every action they take?

If not then that wouldn't necessarily make them co-equal would it.