Author Topic: From Yelp- Most popular COVID-19 Delivery Order purchased by State  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: From Yelp- Most popular COVID-19 Delivery Order purchased by State
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 01:19:52 pm »
A good hoagie shop is wonderful. Subway, meh.  There is a hoagie shop that is so good in my state (Edison)  that President Obama and his wife went to it and he said it was the best hoagie he ever had.

There was another hoagie place which closed a few years ago offf the NJ turnpike where Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter stopped while they were President and First Lady. He also stated it was the best hoagie he ever had.

Yep. Hoagies from central/Southern Jersey and Pennsylvania can’t be beat. I’ve never had a bad one anywhere in Bucks county

I used to buy Subway quite a bit when I worked in downtown Pittsburgh.  Seems there is a Subway on almost every corner in the big city.  But out here in this town, I prefer the Mom and Pop operations.  And they have so much else to offer if you aren't in the mood for hoagies.  One joint here is run by Greek immigrants so it also has Greek and Mediterranean dishes too. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 01:28:58 pm »
I used to buy Subway quite a bit when I worked in downtown Pittsburgh.  Seems there is a Subway on almost every corner in the big city.  But out here in this town, I prefer the Mom and Pop operations.  And they have so much else to offer if you aren't in the mood for hoagies.  One joint here is run by Greek immigrants so it also has Greek and Mediterranean dishes too.

Not that I am a germ-a-phobe, but working 40 years ago in the Dept. of Health makes me view eating out often as an exercise in risk management.  That is why as far as fast food, I have frequented Subway probably more than any other fast food establshment. My wife marvels that by smell at a place I can tell if a restaurant has roach or rodent infestation.   As far as Subway.....

(1) All the places look and or seem clean
(2) I can see the freshness and quality of the food being prepared
(3) Food prep temps are good, refrigeration and heating
(4) I can watch them make my sandwich.  These folks have used gloves back even when hardly anyone else did.

Granted, this isn't the best tasting place on the culinary planet, but .......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 03:23:09 pm »
Not that I am a germ-a-phobe, but working 40 years ago in the Dept. of Health makes me view eating out often as an exercise in risk management.  That is why as far as fast food, I have frequented Subway probably more than any other fast food establshment. My wife marvels that by smell at a place I can tell if a restaurant has roach or rodent infestation.   As far as Subway.....

(1) All the places look and or seem clean
(2) I can see the freshness and quality of the food being prepared
(3) Food prep temps are good, refrigeration and heating
(4) I can watch them make my sandwich.  These folks have used gloves back even when hardly anyone else did.

Granted, this isn't the best tasting place on the culinary planet, but .......

@catfish1957

I just find them bland, and I’d rather support a mom and pop store than a chain. The Subways near me give little meat, more bread ratio.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 03:30:29 pm »
@catfish1957

I just find them bland, and I’d rather support a mom and pop store than a chain. The Subways near me give little meat, more bread ratio.

Absolutely no argument there.  Maybe I am willing to sacrifice a little taste for safety.  Mom/Pops don't have coroporate standards, so they tend (again tend) to be less clean.  Cleanest places from my Dept of Health Standpoint my surprise you.  I found that back in the day (not sure now), School Cafeterias beat them all hands down.  These lunch ladies took absolute pride in their craft, and you could almost literally eat off any work surface they had.  I was so impressed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 08:51:02 pm »
This is food tracked by Yelp's delivery system.  Pizzas are grossly underrepresented because it's usually delivered by the bake shop's own delivery system.  There is a passing reference in the story to Uber Eats and Grubhub, who aren't represented either. 

It makes an interesting conversation starter, but that's about it.

Yeah right... Montana - Eggrolls... *snort*
So one gubmint dork likes eggrolls... And is the only Yelp user in the state.

Without a doubt. PIZZA. Second would probably be through the hub, which most of the local burger joints, rib joints,  and the local chinese joint uses.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 09:06:07 pm »
Before this year, we ate restaurant food once per month.  No take out or delivery, we would go sit down for a late lunch.  At the beginning of the year, I decided to make that every other week, and pick a local place we had never tried -- no chains -- and had a great reputation.  I called it a surprise lunch, because hubby would never know where we were going until we had arrived. 

I am on a similar journey @LadyLiberty , albeit for a different reason...
I budget my eating out through my entertainment account. As a rule I would burn it up with fast food - a quick fix for a long day, not wanting to cook.  So delivered pizza and MacDonald's or Arby's (they're closest), with occasional Burger King, Taco John's, Wendy's, Subway, and Dairy Queen (all that are in range of the house)... If I am up at the Hutton's Plaza, where most everything is here nowadays, Chik-Fil-A is a certainty.

But I found lately that this instant gratification was not nearly gratifying. If I forego this junk, and cook like I ought, the money saved remains for something a bit better. Now, twice a month, with a lady friend in tow, I go out to explore where I seldom, or never have been.

Same money, but oh, so much better! Still, redneck that I am, it is liable to be a dive, a diner, a burger joint, or a rib joint... I am what I am. But such amazing tastes, So much better the quality!

And there is now an anticipation factor. I look forward all week to the day I am going to go out. I think about it... It impacts many days... Like smelling a roast in the house all day, it makes that first bite so delicious!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 09:59:55 pm »
Bao buns in WV, really? I think not.

Maybe there are some hipsters hiding out in the mountains that you don't know about.   wink777
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:15 pm »
Maybe there are some hipsters hiding out in the mountains that you don't know about.   wink777
There's probably not three restaurants in the whole state that make Bao. I tried to find them - one in the eastern panhandle, one in Charleston, still looking for another.  :laugh:  Around here, there's no shortage of fried mozzerella sticks, chicken wings and pizza, though.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2020, 10:35:53 pm »
Around here, there's no shortage of fried mozzerella sticks, chicken wings and pizza, though.

I could live there.  :beer:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2020, 10:53:06 pm »
There's probably not three restaurants in the whole state that make Bao. I tried to find them - one in the eastern panhandle, one in Charleston, still looking for another.  :laugh:  Around here, there's no shortage of fried mozzerella sticks, chicken wings and pizza, though.

I’m so cool that I have no idea what it even is!  happy77

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 06:30:49 pm »
I find bao buns to be kind of tasteless.  However, there is a restaurant here (two locations) that was started by two high school friends that came up with the idea of using bao buns to make little sandwiches that are really creative and delicious and their fries are award winning.

https://www.fatbaohouston.com/

https://www.fatbaohouston.com/sugarland  <--- menu

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 06:33:12 pm »
I find bao buns to be kind of tasteless.  However, there is a restaurant here (two locations) that was started by two high school friends that came up with the idea of using bao buns to make little sandwiches that are really creative and delicious and their fries are award winning.

https://www.fatbaohouston.com/

https://www.fatbaohouston.com/sugarland  <--- menu
Thanks for the link. I have never seen a bao bun. Looks like someone wrapped food in plastic foam...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 06:34:02 pm »
Thanks for the link. I have never seen a bao bun. Looks like someone wrapped food in plastic foam...

They're popular in Hawaii.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 06:56:07 pm »

Never seen it either.  :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 06:57:48 pm »

Doesn't look good to me at all.

Offline berdie

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 07:46:21 pm »
I would walk a mile for a gyro. :laugh: But unless Sonic or DQ starts serving them out here and delivering, too bad for me* . I do find that the biggest delivery in Texas is crawfish is odd. Oh well, different strokes I guess.

*I did attempt to make one a while ago. But lamb is too darn expensive and the sauce is a pain. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 07:55:21 pm »
I would walk a mile for a gyro. :laugh: But unless Sonic or DQ starts serving them out here and delivering, too bad for me* . I do find that the biggest delivery in Texas is crawfish is odd. Oh well, different strokes I guess.

*I did attempt to make one a while ago. But lamb is too darn expensive and the sauce is a pain.

I do love a gyro... Used to be there was a set of whistle stop convenience stores up in here called Ole's Country Stores... They had a gyro for 3 bucks that was fantastic. When the store chain folded up a while back, that steady source dried up... I can still get em over to Anna's Greek Gyros, but they are seriously 8 bucks a whack, and inside a mall, so hard for me to get to... Even so, every now and then, I still go...

Fixin to see if I can make my own. The local food warehouse will sell to me, and i think I can get that gyro meat there, pre-cut ... If so, the rest is just regular groceries... Then I'll be in high cotton.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 08:23:20 pm »

We've got a great little Greek restaurant in town that makes fantastic gyros and Greek salads.

They have been open but don't have a big enough staff for delivery, but my husband has picked some up several times in the past months.

Nice!

Offline berdie

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 08:38:03 pm »
Fixin to see if I can make my own. The local food warehouse will sell to me, and i think I can get that gyro meat there, pre-cut ... If so, the rest is just regular groceries... Then I'll be in high cotton.

Let me know if you perfect the sauce. :laugh:

Offline berdie

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 08:38:52 pm »
We've got a great little Greek restaurant in town that makes fantastic gyros and Greek salads.

They have been open but don't have a big enough staff for delivery, but my husband has picked some up several times in the past months.

Nice!

That makes me sooo jealous!! happy77

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »

Let me know if you perfect the sauce. :laugh:

It's the meat that makes it hard

Tzatziki sauce... cucumber and yogurt mainly...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tzatziki+sauce

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2020, 10:12:19 pm »
This place opened last year about a mile from us.  It's a chain, but so far only two locations in the US.

https://donerandgyros.us/

Offline berdie

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2020, 08:29:44 pm »
It's the meat that makes it hard

Tzatziki sauce... cucumber and yogurt mainly...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tzatziki+sauce

Thanks @roamer_1 . Those look a little easier than the recipe I had from a friend's Greek grandmother. I'll give it another try the next time I get the urge.

As far as the meat goes, you are right it is a little trickier. I have read that you could use a good cut of steak if marinated properly. But I am a purist and want lamb (loin preferably) which is as scarce around here right now as a brontosaurus burger. Omaha Steaks carried one at one time that I used the left overs for gyros that was preseasoned. Same flavor and texture as store bought gyros. But they, too, are lambless. Oh well, I don't get as creative with cooking in the summer time any way, lol.

You are very lucky to have a source for the real thing. You also have access to game that might be a substitute?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2020, 08:31:24 pm »
So Texas is eating the Crawfish boiled and Louisiana is eating them raw?

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 08:37:15 pm »
So Texas is eating the Crawfish boiled and Louisiana is eating them raw?

Never get between a coonass and 10 pounds of crawfish (no matter how well its cooked) :cool:

Funny thing. Back in the '70's and early '80's they used to give the stuff away free at bars.
At last glance it is $5.19/lb. cooked (at least last week)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:39:01 pm by catfish1957 »