Author Topic: From Yelp- Most popular COVID-19 Delivery Order purchased by State  (Read 2819 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/spam-biscuits-and-crawfish-2020-05-22?mod=home-page

Fun facts from Yelp, of what is the most popular ordered item by state.  In my digs (Texas), Crawfish is not a surprise, but  was shocked that nearby Louisiana chose Sushi, over Crawfish, Gumbo, or any other Cajun fare.

In our case, we have been sticking with "toucheless" pizza, as it seems to be the least of risk.  What about it Briefers?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: From Yelp- Most popular COVID-19 Delivery Order purchased by State
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 06:41:00 pm »
Nevada: Spam Musubi.

Pass.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 06:43:24 pm »
Before this year, we ate restaurant food once per month.  No take out or delivery, we would go sit down for a late lunch.  At the beginning of the year, I decided to make that every other week, and pick a local place we had never tried -- no chains -- and had a great reputation.  I called it a surprise lunch, because hubby would never know where we were going until we had arrived. 

The first one was down a dead end road off a two lane blacktop road in a rural area.  The dead end road went in between two cow pastures and ended up at a metal building next to an RV park.  Part of the building was a management office for the RV park along with mailboxes and showers, and the other part is a burger joint.  $9 will get you a large wagyu beef burger (we could only eat half so we got a second lunch out of it), fries, and a drink.  We had a lot of fun with this every other week but then the "stay at home" and no dine in put a stop to that.

Seeing what this is doing to small businesses, I decided to continue to patronize these places where we had never eaten but to do it once per week, take out only.  I've seen what grub hub did to a pizza truck in Illinois.  Their monthly statement showed they did 46 deliveries and that the total bill for those deliveries was over $1000.  After they took out all of their fees, the business netted less than $400, not even enough to cover their costs.

So this is what we have done for takeout:

German
Burgers
Crawfish
Tex Mex
Vietnamese
Gyros
Pizza
Chinese
And the best:  South African.  It was a restaurant that partnered with our grocery store to do a pop-up.  I had been wanting to try this restaurant because my nephew had highly recommended it, but instead of paying $30 - $60 a head off their regular menu, they had a choice of $10 boxed meals that were sooo good.  I almost didn't buy them because the side was brussel sprouts and I hate them, but dayum they actually make brussel sprouts taste really good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:45:25 pm »

And the best:  South African.  It was a restaurant that partnered with our grocery store to do a pop-up.  I had been wanting to try this restaurant because my nephew had highly recommended it, but instead of paying $30 - $60 a head off their regular menu, they had a choice of $10 boxed meals that were sooo good.  I almost didn't buy them because the side was brussel sprouts and I hate them, but dayum they actually make brussel sprouts taste really good.

Great story.  Just shows the spirit of American entrepreneuriship.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:47:22 pm »
Nevada: Spam Musubi.

Pass.

I will have to admit that I had never heard of Musubi.  But I agree......    It will have to be a pretty awful meat shortage before I break down to score a can of spam.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:40:29 pm »
I'll agree with Italian/Hoagie as the most popular in Pennsylvania.  Where I live, a small town, we have 9 pizza/hoagie/Italian joints and they all do a booming business. 

The one I go to a few blocks from my house recently partnered with other local restaurants to create their own joint delivery service.  Since they own the delivery service, they aren't gouged as they would be by the big guys such as Uber Eats or GrubHub.  They even have their own app which allows you to charge your meal and the tip, and the delivery person will leave your meal on your porch -- contactless delivery.  I usually order something every Sunday.  The food is good and I'm helping a local restaurant stay in business.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:51:25 pm »
Ohio: deep dish pizza - works for me!  :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:18:05 am »
We've largely been cooking our own meals. We do the occasional takeout from the local tavern, mostly subs and chicken wings (yeah, I know, my palate isn't the most refined thing in the world).

There are two Chinese restaurants in the next town over. One is a takeout place; the other a buffet. After some dummkopfen decided to harass the management there, they briefly shut down, but the community rallied to their support and now they're back open (the buffet of course converted to takeout for the time being).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 11:42:55 am »
I’m a fantastic cook so I’ve been preparing meals in. Here in my state if the lockdown persists to November 3rd, New Yorkers will be eating crow with a side of sour grapes.  happy77

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 12:25:04 pm »
In this end of the state it would likely be pizza.
Gyros? We might have one place in town that serves them...

BTW, pizza goes from the oven to the cutting board to the box.
Any 'cut table' hand worth their paycheck can get the pizza from the cutting board to the box in one smooth slide, as a unit, and fingers are never used. In the worst case, there's a spatula there to align the most recalcitrant slices, but usually a little shake of the box does the trick.
Oven temps are from 400 to 450 degrees.
That goes for most any pizza place.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 12:25:58 pm »
I live in PA and seeing this reminds me how good Primo Hoagies are, especially the Italian Diablo. I may have to get one this week!
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 12:46:20 pm »
Have I been living under a rock, or did anyone else look at this map and think to themselves: What the hell is "bubble tea"?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 12:59:37 pm »
Have I been living under a rock, or did anyone else look at this map and think to themselves: What the hell is "bubble tea"?

I first saw it at my favorite Chinese take out in Queens, New York. This was before the Wuhan Red death struck the planet. Never tried it, though. It’s got these little spheres floating around which I assume are flavored. It appears to be exclusive to Chinese restaurants as far as I know.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 01:04:22 pm »
I'll agree with Italian/Hoagie as the most popular in Pennsylvania.  Where I live, a small town, we have 9 pizza/hoagie/Italian joints and they all do a booming business. 

I figured a Philly Cheesesteak might be in the mix as the winner there.  I had one it that part of the world, and it was pretty awesome.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 01:08:06 pm »

You got my curiosity going...

From wikipedia on Bubble Tea......

Bubble tea is a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in the 1980s, which is shaken with ice to create the "bubbles", a foamy layer on top of the drink; chewy tapioca balls are added as well. Ice-blended versions are frozen and put into a blender, resulting in a slushy consistency.

Me?  I'd take a Reeeses Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard over that concoction any day.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:09:22 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 02:29:57 pm »
This is food tracked by Yelp's delivery system.  Pizzas are grossly underrepresented because it's usually delivered by the bake shop's own delivery system.  There is a passing reference in the story to Uber Eats and Grubhub, who aren't represented either. 

It makes an interesting conversation starter, but that's about it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 03:59:29 pm »
For some states this has to be more about Yelp users than about anything real.  Croissants for Oklahoma?  Really?  Thin crust pizza for Illinois, where deep-dish pizza is the local standard? 

And I'm not sure what gives with gyro in Kansas -- yeah there's a gyro joint in my town, a decent Greek place in Lawrence and a profusion of mostly Arab-Christian owned Lebanese and generically "Mediterranean" restaurants in Wichita -- but it's not really a big staple around here (I'm guessing kibbeh and shish tawook are both actually more popular with the minority of Kansans who go in for Eastern Mediterranean cuisine), and in most of the state I don't think anyone would pay the delivery charge to get gyro from whereever the nearest place that serves it is located.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 04:16:07 pm »
For some states this has to be more about Yelp users than about anything real.  Croissants for Oklahoma?  Really?  Thin crust pizza for Illinois, where deep-dish pizza is the local standard? 

As another poster said, just thihk of all the pizza deliveries (aka Papa John, Hut, Ceasars, Dominos) that are counted since they are typically direct and not via Yelp, Grubhub, etc.    So yeah, the data is skewed.  OTOH, this article was just meant as a fun way to see what has trended during what have been extraordinary time. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 04:21:28 pm »
As another poster said, just thihk of all the pizza deliveries (aka Papa John, Hut, Ceasars, Dominos) that are counted since they are typically direct and not via Yelp, Grubhub, etc.    So yeah, the data is skewed.  OTOH, this article was just meant as a fun way to see what has trended during what have been extraordinary time.

...and it demonstrates the ability of an advertiser to track your purchases, even if it's only for "statistical purposes."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 05:06:56 am »
This is food tracked by Yelp's delivery system.  Pizzas are grossly underrepresented because it's usually delivered by the bake shop's own delivery system.  There is a passing reference in the story to Uber Eats and Grubhub, who aren't represented either. 

It makes an interesting conversation starter, but that's about it.
Yep. Not one mention of Lutefisk.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 11:09:50 am »
Bao buns in WV, really? I think not.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 11:30:56 am »
You can’t seem to find frozen pizza here either. I guess pasta is a comfort food.

Personally gimme ice cream, brownies, and chocolate chip cookies with milk.

Or salty-potato chips or Doritos
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:58 am »

The one I go to a few blocks from my house recently partnered with other local restaurants to create their own joint delivery service.  Since they own the delivery service, they aren't gouged as they would be by the big guys such as Uber Eats or GrubHub.  They even have their own app which allows you to charge your meal and the tip, and the delivery person will leave your meal on your porch -- contactless delivery.  I usually order something every Sunday.  The food is good and I'm helping a local restaurant stay in business.

A good hoagie shop is wonderful. Subway, meh.  There is a hoagie shop that is so good in my state (Edison)  that President Obama and his wife went to it and he said it was the best hoagie he ever had.

There was another hoagie place which closed a few years ago offf the NJ turnpike where Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter stopped while they were President and First Lady. He also stated it was the best hoagie he ever had.

Yep. Hoagies from central/Southern Jersey and Pennsylvania can’t be beat. I’ve never had a bad one anywhere in Bucks county
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27:08 pm »
You can’t seem to find frozen pizza here either. I guess pasta is a comfort food.

There's an Italian Creme Cake made by a place about 15 miles away, that I am craving.  Standard sized bakery cake that weighs 12 pounds.  Rich, moist, and fattening.   Still, I realize that there is no way that thing can be made w/o some close human contact.  And I am >60, with pre-existing, so I guess I will still have to wait awhile.    **nononono*

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 01:14:06 pm »

Unfortunately, junk food is my downfall -- not so much the sweets, but the chips and such.  For a long time I had been a good kid and didn't let any of that in the house.  But right after the lockdown started in March, I began craving junk and included it in my grocery order.  Forget eating "just one" as the commercial used to say.  I could polish off a family size bag of potato chips in one sitting.  The result was I gained 10 pounds.  My doctor didn't scold me; apparently, many of his other patients put on weight during isolation too.  But I know he wasn't pleased and neither was I  The excess weight has put pressure on my joints and along with the heat and humidity of the last few days, I've been sidelined with knee and ankle pain.  Got rid of the junk and am now endeavoring to get rid of the excess pounds so I can walk comfortably again.

I'm telling you this just to warn you -- if you do find the pizza, pasta and junk food you are looking for, be careful with it.  So dang easy to pack on the pounds with those  foods, but so hard to take those pounds off.