Author Topic: ‘A Year's Worth of Suicide Attempts in Four Weeks’: The Unintended Consequences of COVID-19 Lockdown  (Read 325 times)

Offline NewsJunkie

The costs of the government responses to the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic have been severe. New evidence suggests they could be even worse than we imagined.

An ABC affiliate in California reports that doctors at John Muir Medical Center tell them they have seen more deaths by suicide than COVID-19 during the quarantine.

“The numbers are unprecedented,” said Dr. Michael deBoisblanc, referring to the spike in suicides.

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," deBoisblanc added. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

more:
https://www.thedailyfodder.com/2020/05/a-years-worth-of-suicide-attempts-in.html

Offline Applewood

Not at all  surprising to me.  I went into lockdown around the middle of March.  By the beginning of April, I was ready for some guys in white coats to haul me away.  Even now I'd like to get together with my friends and family, but it seems everyone is still in such a panic over this friggin' virus, they hem and haw every time I mention going somewhere or even sharing some takeout or delivery at my house.  It pains me that I'm ready to end this isolation karp, but since no one else n my circle is, I still can't see the ones I love.  For someone in a fragile mental state, I can see how this isolation, and maybe the  accompanying fear and paranoia instilled in us by the media regarding the virus, can drive that person over the edge.

Offline mortarman

Raising the suicide rate is another way the Dis-Loyal Opposition is registering votes.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am taking a few liberties with the stats, but hear me out.

If you take the data that 4 weeks of suicides = the amount of suicides in a year....

Extrapolate the annual expcected suicides in a year in U.S.

48,000 normal times 13 (52 divided by 4) .

That equals 624,000.  minus the baseline of 48,000 which would equal an additional 576,000 added suicides on an annual basis due to COVID-19 stress.   

I know that number seems high, and probably far fetched, but there is no doubting that human isolation wears on the human psyche, and  the true number is probably somewhere in the 100's of thousands.  And how many deaths from COVID-19 direct were expected?   :whistle: 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:16:58 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.