Author Topic: WV: Lawmakers file petition claiming Justice has exceeded his authority through pandemic  (Read 476 times)

Offline mountaineer

Lawmakers file petition claiming Justice has exceeded his authority through pandemic
By Chris Dickerson | May 22, 2020
CHARLESTON – A state Senator and four members of the House of Delegates have filed a petition with the state Supreme Court saying Gov. Jim Justice has abused his power through the Coronavirus pandemic.

Delegates S. Marshall Wilson, James Harry Butler, Thomas M. Bibby and Tony Paynter, along with Senator Michael Azinger, filed their petition for Writ of Mandamus and a supporting Memorandum of Law against Justice on May 22.

“This petition presents the question of whether the Governor of the State of West Virginia is required to convene a special session of the West Virginia Legislature if he finds that the ‘public safety and welfare’ are threatened by an emergency, as defined by the emergency powers statute … or whether the governor can act unilaterally in the capacities of both the executive and legislative branch for so long as he finds that an emergency exists, and whether the governor can, in so doing, expand the power of the executive branch of state government, so as to encroach on the core powers and responsibilities of the legislative branch, as well as the core rights of the people of West Virginia, in violation of the West Virginia Constitution and United States Constitution?” the petition begins. ...

Even after Justice announced the reopening of state businesses with a gradual schedule over the course of a few weeks, the petitioners say lawmakers never were included.

“Despite announcing all of the aforesaid press releases, and despite all of the activity discussed by the Governor in the months prior, the Governor still has not called the West Virginia Legislature into session, despite there being a ‘State of Emergency,’ Gov. Justice’s actions stand alone, and in stark contrast, when compared to the 38 other states who have introduced legislation in response to the COVID-19 crisis,” the petition states. “It’s apparent that Gov. Justice intends to continue to legislate via executive order, rather than in accordance with West Virginia’s Constitution.” ...
More at WV Record
These are conservative legislators. Gov. Justice is a former Democrat/now Republican.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@mountaineer  You misspelt "Republican In Name Only."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

@mountaineer  You misspelt "Republican In Name Only."
If you're talking about Justice, we really don't know what the heck he is. We have a crowded Republican primary on June 9, and I expect him to lose to another RINO, Woody Thatcher. I'll be voting for the conservative, Mike Folk.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If you're talking about Justice, we really don't know what the heck he is. We have a crowded Republican primary on June 9, and I expect him to lose to another RINO, Woody Thatcher. I'll be voting for the conservative, Mike Folk.

Yes, I was thinking of "Just Ass."   wink777
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: