Author Topic: Who Believes the Lockdowns Were About Science?... by David Catron  (Read 441 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Who Believes the Lockdowns Were About Science?
Genuine epidemiologists questioned the economic interruptions from the beginning.

by David Catron
May 22, 2020, 12:18 AM

Every state and local politician who imposed lockdowns pursuant to the COVID-19 pandemic claimed their decisions were based on “the science.” In reality, they ignored the advice of leading epidemiologists, relying instead on statistical models produced by “experts” with histories of wildly inaccurate projections. The most notorious of these oracles was, of course, Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London, who claimed that coronavirus could kill 2.2 million Americans. Based on such apocalyptic predictions, combined with overcautious warnings from Beltway bureaucrats like Dr. Anthony Fauci, all but a few governors implemented economically destructive stay-at-home orders — despite the reservations of respected epidemiologists who questioned the logic of lockdowns from the beginning.

Included among the genuine experts who advised that far more information was needed before such draconian countermeasures could be scientifically justified were John P. A. Ioannidis of Stanford University, Michael T. Osterholm of the University of Minnesota, and Knut M. Wittkowski, formerly of Rockefeller University. All three pointed out flaws in the assumptions upon which officials based their lockdown orders. Ioannidis was the first to publicly question the reasoning behind these edicts. In an essay published in STAT on March 17, he wrote that the precipitous response to the pandemic was “a once-in-a-century evidence fiasco” and that decisions of monumental significance were being made without truly dependable data concerning how many people had actually been infected:

The data collected so far on how many people are infected and how the epidemic is evolving are utterly unreliable. Given the limited testing to date, some deaths and probably the vast majority of infections due to [the coronavirus] are being missed. We don’t know if we are failing to capture infections by a factor of three or 300. Three months after the outbreak emerged, most countries, including the U.S., lack the ability to test a large number of people and no countries have reliable data on the prevalence of the virus in a representative random sample of the general population.

more
https://spectator.org/were-lockdowns-about-science-covid-19-experts-models/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

The lockdowns were about science up until it became clear our hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. Then they became about political expediency. The 38 million who lost their jobs be damned. Never forget.

Offline aligncare

The lockdowns were about science up until it became clear our hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. Then they became about political expediency. The 38 million who lost their jobs be damned. Never forget.

You are of course correct. But, America has trouble remembering 9-11, So America will forget this. Call it political amnesia (or dementia, at this point in the game).

Offline skeeter

You are of course correct. But, America has trouble remembering 9-11, So America will forget this. Call it political amnesia (or dementia, at this point in the game).

9-11 directly affected very few. Millions are directly affected by this monumental stupidity. I'm hoping this time is different.

Hope springs eternal.

Offline aligncare

9-11 directly affected very few. Millions are directly affected by this monumental stupidity. I'm hoping this time is different.

Hope springs eternal.

Hope is becoming a scarce commodity these days. But, I’m with you on this.

Offline Quasar44

The lockdowns at the beg made complete sense but( as the weeks went on) . you could see it was all about Politics and Power

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No science? Well, that depends on what the purpose was for the lockdowns.

Flattening the curve made sense until we found out it was pretty flat.

If, however, the objective was to have an interminable period of living in abject fear during which the economic progress of three years could be erased, often with little or no justification (12 counties in my state have zero cases, and 22 have had fewer than 5). I am sure that pattern repeats throughout the country, and with that in mind, this is just gratuitous economic devastation.

If that's what the objective is the 'science' seems to be working. Just enough to make one thing or another seem the way they want.

And one more thing. I am sick of studies which claim that HCQ/CQ is useless, with or without a Macrolide Antibiotic (Like Zithromax), which did not include any zinc supplementation, which is the third part of the regimen. It is obvious that those promoting other therapies (Like Gilead's Remdesivir) have a dog in that fight.

Stories about Gilead antiviral drug remdesivir flops in first trial are not heard, and cheaper treatments which apparently do are scrubbed off You Tube and Facebook.

Unfortunately, it is agenda based, for profit, for control, for eugenics (?), for politics, for unprecedented power in the hands of unelected bureaucrats who are supposed to be our servants but who appear to be serving their own special interests.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hope is becoming a scarce commodity these days. But, I’m with you on this.
Then everything is working perfectly, just according to plan.

Because hope brings faith, confidence, the investment of time and money, and the willingness to risk what's left to rebuild.

Those perpetrating this unprecedented disaster do not want hope. They do not want faith (even shutting down Churches), they do not want Americans to have the confidence that they can and will overcome this in short order if they believe, and work at it like they believe, willing to risk it all again because this time, with the Grace of God, they will prevail.

Oh, Hell no, Can't have that. Especially not before November when the black clouds of doom and despair will flee the Democrat Media skies and the sun will shine and unicorns fly across the skies farting technicolor rainbows and all will be well with the world (which will look like no man's land in WWI, or at least Watts after the riots), provided, of course the Democrats seize control.

Otherwise, it's em peach mint 2, the sequel, son of FBI perfidy, and alphabet agencies run wild, all in an attempt to keep a lot of dirtbags masquerading as public servants from jail or Gitmo.

All I want from the POTUS is the prosecution of any and all who broke the law under color thereof, no matter how high up the food chain in the Swamp that takes us, no matter which parties are involved, what it takes, and without slap on the wrist penalties for sedition and violation of the Public Trust. Clean out the Circuits, one appointment at a time, and fill those empty slots, save a good one or two for SCOTUS, and get this system back where it is supposed to be.
Bring American manufacturing home, and if that means shutting down the EPA, do it.  The laws are in place and they can be made less ridiculous by identifying the bad science ('consensus' or not) and removing the ridiculous environmentalist lobbied obstacles to the operation of clean industry in the US.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Quasar44

The lock downs were 100 percent correct during the first month

Now we have all the data and they should have ended all LD on May 1st

Many reopen states are showing little flare ups