Author Topic: ‘The 1918 Spanish flu’s second wave was even more devastating’: Americans brace for another coronavi  (Read 800 times)

Offline libertybele

This is in contrast to Trump stating that he won't lock down the country again --

‘The 1918 Spanish flu’s second wave was even more devastating’: Americans brace for another coronavirus outbreak in the fall

America is staring down a widespread COVID-19 testing shortage with no vaccine in sight. So what happens when coronavirus makes its unceremonious return?

Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told the Financial Times that he “can’t guarantee” more stay-at-home requirements in the winter or the fall. “We are committed to using the time that we have now to get this nation as over-prepared as possible.”

“We’ve seen evidence that the concerns it would go south in the southern hemisphere like flu [are coming true], and you’re seeing what’s happening in Brazil now,” Redfield told the U.K. paper, “and then when the southern hemisphere is over I suspect it will re-ground itself in the north.”

“This simple respiratory viral pathogen has really brought my nation to its knees, and the reality is, it’s no one particular person’s fault,” he added. (A Columbia University study released this week said up to 36,000 lives could have been saved had U.S. economy shut down even one week earlier.)

‘We are committed to using the time that we have now to get this nation as over-prepared as possible.’
— Robert Redfield, director of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for more than three decades, previously declared, “We will have coronavirus in the fall. I am convinced of that.” He previously said the “ultimate game changer” will be a vaccine, but that could take 12 to 18 months..............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-will-not-have-a-vaccine-by-next-winter-what-happens-when-coronavirus-returns-2020-04-22?mod=mw_latestnews
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

Good luck with this sh*t, Marketwatch. I do not think most Americans are in the mood to be stampeded into another catastrophic shutdown.

Offline EdinVA

Historians now believe that the fatal severity of the Spanish flu’s “second wave” was caused by a mutated virus spread by wartime troop movements.
...When the Spanish flu first appeared in early March 1918, it had all the hallmarks of a seasonal flu, albeit a highly contagious and virulent strain. One of the first registered cases was Albert Gitchell, a U.S. Army cook at Camp Funston in Kansas, who was hospitalized with a 104-degree fever. The virus spread quickly through the Army installation, home to 54,000 troops. By the end of the month, 1,100 troops had been hospitalized and 38 had died after developing pneumonia.
https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

So, close the borders not the country...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Ugh. So tell me where the hordes of returning soldiers that brought the second wave are going to come from?

Fearmongers, all of'em. I'm sick of it. The restrictions they have pulled went too far, and we have eggheads like Fauci and Redfield who are more than willing to do it again. Fire their asses.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

I agree.  Keep the border CLOSED.  NO immigration into this country period.  Inform the public that they need to take some precautions....but keep the country moving forward.  Keep parks, playgrounds, libraries, schools, restaurants, movie theaters, banks, churches, supermarkets, retail stores, etc., OPEN!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

I keep reading these stories dredging up the 1918 flu.  Remember that back then treatment for any flu or pneumonia was minimal.  Penicillin wasn't developed till several years later; the anti-virals we have now came along later.  Vaccines against this particular virus are being developed.  Health care in general has improved over the decades since the 1918 pandemic and I think we are more conscious of good hygiene in general.  This is a comparison between apples and oranges and just another way of panicking people into staying home, curled up in a ball  in a corner of their home.    Enough already!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Kudos! That's it in a nutshell.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

38 out of 54000? that's 0.07%

Nowhere near the 30% drop dead in the street/face plant in the sidewalk death rate we were promised.

I want a refund.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
38 out of 54000? that's 0.07%

Nowhere near the 30% drop dead in the street/face plant in the sidewalk death rate we were promised.

I want a refund.
But to the "stay home forever" crowd, any death above that of the seasonal flu is a policy failure. Never mind that we have half the deaths per capita of western Europe and their vaunted socialized, nationalized health care schemes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

But to the "stay home forever" crowd, any death above that of the seasonal flu is a policy failure. Never mind that we have half the deaths per capita of western Europe and their vaunted socialized, nationalized health care schemes.

True, but do people who test positive for both count as COVID deaths or Flu deaths, or both? (asking for a friend)

Also, we had our last influenza death in the State in the week of 4/4 2020, and just three days later (on 4/7/2020) we started having COVID deaths. Haven't had a person die of the flu since....

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

True, but do people who test positive for both count as COVID deaths or Flu deaths, or both? (asking for a friend)

Also, we had our last influenza death in the State in the week of 4/4 2020, and just three days later (on 4/7/2020) we started having COVID deaths. Haven't had a person die of the flu since....

Amazin ain't it? Nothin cures the flu like Woohan.   *****rollingeyes***** :whistle:

Offline goatprairie

The Democrats know that the longer the economy stays shut down, the better their chances of winning in November.
 If Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama were prez, the Dems would be demanding the economy open up as well as the Republicans whom I believe have more character and integrity than the Dems who have no character or integrity.
Not that all Republicans brim with character and integrity. But compared to the Dems, they are paragons of character and integrity.

Offline Smokin Joe

The Democrats know that the longer the economy stays shut down, the better their chances of winning in November.
 If Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama were prez, the Dems would be demanding the economy open up as well as the Republicans whom I believe have more character and integrity than the Dems who have no character or integrity.
Not that all Republicans brim with character and integrity. But compared to the Dems, they are paragons of character and integrity.
Compared to the Democrats, they are the Vestal Virgins in the whorehouse.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

I thought we weren't supposed to compare this to the flu.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

I thought we weren't supposed to compare this to the flu.
Silly, that's only if WE do it.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Nobody's died of nuthin' BUT Coronavirus in the past couple of months, as far as I can tell.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org