Author Topic: For most of Afghanistan war, U.S. ‘never really fought to win,’ Trump declares  (Read 1538 times)

rangerrebew

For most of Afghanistan war, U.S. ‘never really fought to win,’ Trump declares
Missy Ryan

President Trump on Monday declared that the United States had “never really fought to win” in Afghanistan, except early in the nearly two-decade-long war, making a sweeping statement about military efforts as thousands of U.S. troops continue to serve, and sometimes die, in counterinsurgent operations there.

In a series of tweets, the president pushed back against a May 17 Wall Street Journal editorial cautioning against abrupt decisions regarding Afghanistan, where U.S. officials are seeking to facilitate a peace deal between Taliban militants and the Afghan government ahead of a planned reduction in U.S. forces.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/for-most-of-afghanistan-war-america-never-really-fought-to-win-trump-declares/ar-BB14gO23

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don;t see this as a reflection on the performance of the troops there, who have doubtless done their jobs and often suffered for it, some for the rest of their lives.
The failure isn't there, on the line, so much as in the hallowed halls where strategy is formulated and passed on to be executed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

Richard Fontaine, who served as foreign policy adviser to late senator John McCain (R) and is now chief executive of the Center for a New American Security, said that “anybody who said we didn’t fight to win would have a hard time explaining Obama’s surge, when the military unleashed very serious operations again the Taliban.”

Obama... lol

BO had to approve every mission and every target before he allowed the military to execute and mission.  Having 100,000 troops "standing by" is not winning.

Just like JBJ was resurrected.....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Obama... lol

BO had to approve every mission and every target before he allowed the military to execute and mission.  Having 100,000 troops "standing by" is not winning.

Just like JBJ was resurrected.....

O'Bastard really, really wanted to lose that war, and he had a perfect template already in place.  All he had to do was micromanage it into defeat, then fob it off on his successor.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
For most of Afghanistan war, U.S. ‘never really fought to win,’ Trump declares...

You can't win a war unless you face up to who the enemy is.

And since September 11, 2001, we in this country (along with the entire West) have been in denial as to exactly who (or what) that "enemy" actually is.

Will we wake up before it's too late?

Hint:
We're not going to defeat it by overthrowing the government leaders of any countries of the Mideast -- because, in those countries, they aren't the force that's actually in control...

Offline EdinVA

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The U.S. has been unwilling to kill a sufficient number of civilians, such that the remaining civilians desire their leadership to beg for peace.

Fanatical Japs were willing to fight until the last one died. Once we started and continued obliging them, they sued for unconditional surrender.

Firebombing and nuclear bombing  two cities, worked.

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and the others until present have not found the methods and means, to deal with islam to peace by any means necessary.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Until you deal with Pakistan, you aren't going to win in Afghanistan.
The Republic is lost.

rangerrebew

Too many people in congress with no military expertise acting as generals and admirals. tri22

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I hope nobody is surprised by this. We,as a nation,haven't fought to win since 1945.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don;t see this as a reflection on the performance of the troops there, who have doubtless done their jobs and often suffered for it, some for the rest of their lives.
The failure isn't there, on the line, so much as in the hallowed halls where strategy is formulated and passed on to be executed.

@Smokin Joe

The damage is done one level higher,in Congress.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Richard Fontaine, who served as foreign policy adviser to late senator John McCain (R) and is now chief executive of the Center for a New American Security, said that “anybody who said we didn’t fight to win would have a hard time explaining Obama’s surge, when the military unleashed very serious operations again the Taliban.”

Who the hell is this "Richard Fontaine" creature?

Has HE ever suited up,grabbed a rifle,and charged up a hill or a beach under fire? Somehow,I kinda doubt it.

What I DON'T doubt is that he is "plugged in" to companies with DOD contracts.

People like him are the problem,not the solution.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The U.S. has been unwilling to kill a sufficient number of civilians, such that the remaining civilians desire their leadership to beg for peace.

Fanatical Japs were willing to fight until the last one died. Once we started and continued obliging them, they sued for unconditional surrender.

Firebombing and nuclear bombing  two cities, worked.

@truth_seeker

It worked because the Emperor and the General Staff knew that Tokyo was next,they had no place to hide,and they KNEW they and their families would die too unless they surrendered.

The Japanese people themselves were conditioned to fight to the death. The leadership,not so much;

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and the others until present have not found the methods and means, to deal with islam to peace by any means necessary.

Those incompetent asshats couldn't find their own asses with both hands looking. Boy Jorge got us involved in those wars for personal political reasons,and congress and the defense industry won't let us leave.

NEVER fight a war you have no intention of winning. We could easily win if we wanted,but we don't want to win or we would have already won.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Until you deal with Pakistan, you aren't going to win in Afghanistan.

@Free Vulcan

Neither Pakistan or any of the other Arab nations would be a problem if we weren't afraid of taking out the Mullahs. Let the religious leaders KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that we WILL kill them personally unless they back off,and the "Holy War" comes to an end for a generation,at least.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
@Free Vulcan

Neither Pakistan or any of the other Arab nations would be a problem if we weren't afraid of taking out the Mullahs. Let the religious leaders KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that we WILL kill them personally unless they back off,and the "Holy War" comes to an end for a generation,at least.

Totally agree with that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

The damage is done one level higher,in Congress.
It was the Congress who pulled the funding that encouraged the NVA to overrun South Vietnam. Massed troops, convoys of armored vehicles, etc.
Had we rolled in on that with Skyraiders, gunships, and fast movers--and even an arclight, and the 'highway of death' might have been seen long before Kuwait. And South Vietnam might be a different place...

But no. The Congress removed the Honor from the Peace. (Now they are doing it with Islamists on the other end).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
It was the Congress who pulled the funding that encouraged the NVA to overrun South Vietnam. Massed troops, convoys of armored vehicles, etc.
Had we rolled in on that with Skyraiders, gunships, and fast movers--and even an arclight, and the 'highway of death' might have been seen long before Kuwait. And South Vietnam might be a different place...

But no. The Congress removed the Honor from the Peace. (Now they are doing it with Islamists on the other end).

I always felt the globalists in our govt played games in Vietnam for the single goal of breaking the U.S. sense of confidence and direction, and send us in a tailspin.

Which it rightly did until Reagan came along.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

I always felt the globalists in our govt played games in Vietnam for the single goal of breaking the U.S. sense of confidence and direction, and send us in a tailspin.

Which it rightly did until Reagan came along.
I thought so, too, and never have trusted McNamara, or Kissinger either, for that matter.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Revenge against Nixon was far more important than the pathetic lives of some South Vietnamese people.  A "small price" to pay to ensure Ford's defeat in '76.  The Rats have been running this play since before I was born.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

Revenge against Nixon was far more important than the pathetic lives of some South Vietnamese people.  A "small price" to pay to ensure Ford's defeat in '76.  The Rats have been running this play since before I was born.
Mo-om! They're at it again.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe 

That's what they have to do to make sure America fails. Their goal is to destroy America as an independent nation and make us a cog in the New World Order machine. This will never happen if we are allowed to win.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Revenge against Nixon was far more important than the pathetic lives of some South Vietnamese people. A "small price" to pay to ensure Ford's defeat in '76. The Rats have been running this play since before I was born.

@Cyber Liberty

Oh,it began long before that. The Dims betrayed America after both JFK and LBJ were losing,but then Nixon got elected and started getting tough with the VN communists. The DNC couldn't live with the Republicans winning a war the Dims could only manage to lose,so they sabotaged Nixon every chance they got. They REALLY lost their nut when Nixon started carpet-bombing all the NVA supply depots hidden in the jungles of Laos and Cambodia because even Dims understand that no war can be fought without ammunition,food supplies,and medical supplies.

So they pulled all US troops out of VN and then broke their word to the SVN and cut off all supplies to them to make damn sure they lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Cyber Liberty

Oh,it began long before that. The Dims betrayed America after both JFK and LBJ were losing,but then Nixon got elected and started getting tough with the VN communists. The DNC couldn't live with the Republicans winning a war the Dims could only manage to lose,so they sabotaged Nixon every chance they got. They REALLY lost their nut when Nixon started carpet-bombing all the NVA supply depots hidden in the jungles of Laos and Cambodia because even Dims understand that no war can be fought without ammunition,food supplies,and medical supplies.

So they pulled all US troops out of VN and then broke their word to the SVN and cut off all supplies to them to make damn sure they lost.
Which, if you look at things is how they roll.
If they are losing, they change the rules, move the goalposts, or refuse to let anyone use the ball. Besides, with all that New Left stuff going on, they were more closely aligned with the crew serving the AA gun Jane Fonda sat at than the guys over in the Hanoi Hilton.

C S Lewis

Offline Quasar44

Bushs 2 wars sunk the USA trillions and the nation will never recover