Author Topic: Thanks to Shutdowns, Many Will Learn That Public Schooling Isn't All That Essential After All  (Read 737 times)

rangerrebew

Thanks to Shutdowns, Many Will Learn That Public Schooling Isn't All That Essential After All

05/18/2020José Niño

While some of America's most demagogic politicians try to exploit the COVID-19 outbreak, some Americans are trying to make the most of their de facto state of house arrest.

Government-imposed lockdowns have resulted in the shutdown of a number of schools across the nation. During this period some schools have gone online, while others have closed up indefinitely. Society is conditioned to believe that children cannot possibly be able to receive an education under such circumstances. After all, education can only take place in a classroom, at least in the social planners’ view.

However, some families are daring to do the unthinkable by experimenting with homeschooling. Counter to the opportunistic political class, which views every crisis as a moment to undermine people’s liberties, a number of homeschooling proponents have flipped the script to promote homeschooling. What better time to do so, when most families are stuck at home and don’t even know when schools will open up again.

https://mises.org/wire/thanks-shutdowns-many-will-learn-public-schooling-isnt-all-essential-after-all

Offline Applewood

Certainly, by learning at home, kids will not run the risk of being beaten up, robbed, raped, exposed to narcotics or any of a number of other crimes which occur at schools.  Plus, if the parents can choose the right curriculum, the kids need not be wasting time on social justice and other nonsense and actually learn the subjects necessary for the workplace and everyday life. 

Offline PeteS in CA

Certainly, by learning at home, kids will not run the risk of being beaten up, robbed, raped, exposed to narcotics or any of a number of other crimes which occur at schools.  ...

:sarc: Yeppers, homeschooled kids don't get socialization! :sarc:

More seriously, I think anti-homeschooling advocates for PSs are worried that homeschooling and classroom-based schooling will both be de-mystified - in different ways - and a % of parents will continue to homeschool.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:40:17 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline aligncare

The fewer kids in today’s government schools the better.

When I attended New York public schools in the 1960’s they taught American history, values, traditions and love of country. Not so, today.

Offline conservativevoter

Well, with the school closures and school buildings being locked, no busses, no school programs for the little kiddos to take part in, doesn't that mean that the people who paid for those programs will be getting back a considerable amount of money? 333cleo rrthree :thud:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Many are learning that the House of Representatives are nonessential workers.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online berdie

I do believe that there is a greater appreciation for teachers after this.

Online roamer_1

I know a BUNCH of homeschoolers... I don't know ANY whose kids are performing at less than a B+ level, and most are A+... And nearly everyone I know holds school for about 2 hrs a day with one half day a week outsourced to a professional teacher covering aspects beyond the parents' ability (usually math topics).

Offline Absalom

Er.........to name but a few, when Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Caesar, Tiberius, Aurelius, were children,
where did they go to school??????

Offline skeeter

I know a BUNCH of homeschoolers... I don't know ANY whose kids are performing at less than a B+ level, and most are A+... And nearly everyone I know holds school for about 2 hrs a day with one half day a week outsourced to a professional teacher covering aspects beyond the parents' ability (usually math topics).

Imagine mere parents entrusted with the political & social education of all those children. :terror:

Online roamer_1

Imagine mere parents entrusted with the political & social education of all those children. :terror:

It's a beautiful thing.  :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The fewer kids in today’s government schools the better.

When I attended New York public schools in the 1960’s they taught American history, values, traditions and love of country. Not so, today.
Oh, back when kids said a prayer in the morning and the Pledge of Allegiance?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
All of this, and the local school District is, once again, pushing for another $10MM bond...

NO!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How can you tell?

Either way they don't seem to be learning anything practical or useful.

Or even true,in most cases.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!