Author Topic: Top contenders in the race for a COVID-19 vaccine  (Read 818 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Top contenders in the race for a COVID-19 vaccine
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:30:12 pm »
https://justthenews.com/video/top-contenders-race-covid-19-vaccine

Top contenders in the race for a COVID-19 vaccine

Scientists around the world are in a race to develop Covid-19 vaccines in record time.

As of now, almost 100 research groups are working round the clock to develop a potential vaccine for the coronavirus, and only a handful of vaccines are in early stages of testing in humans.
ChAdOx1 nCoV-19/ Oxford University: This vaccine incorporates a weak version of the common cold virus to produce an immune response that will help the body identify COVID-19. It is still in phase 1 testing, and healthy volunteers have already been injected as part of safety testing.

mRNA-1273/ Moderna: The Massachusetts-based biotech firm has got FDA fast track designation for this vaccine, already in clinical trials. ...

PiCoVacc/ Sinovac Biotech: This Chinese-based biotech company is testing a vaccine that will induce specific antibodies to fight the virus. ... Human trials are currently underway.

BNT162/ Pfizer & BioNTech: This joint venture by the U.S. pharmaceutical giant and the German-based BioNTech also uses RNA as a way to produce an immune response, similar to Moderna’s vaccine. It is in Phase I/II of clinical trials.

INO-4800/ Inovio: Currently undergoing phase 1 trials, the Pennsylvania-based Inovio Pharmaceuticals got in early in the vaccine race. ...

Bacillus Calmette-Guerin: The 100-year-old “BCG” vaccine normally used for tuberculosis is being studied for use against COVID-19 because in countries that administer BCG, like in South Africa, the spread of Covid-19 seems to be slower. Clinical trials are currently underway ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Victoria33

Re: Top contenders in the race for a COVID-19 vaccine
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 12:59:16 am »
@PeteS in CA

You listed this company: "mRNA-1273/ Moderna: The Massachusetts-based biotech firm has got FDA fast track designation for this vaccine, already in clinical trials. ..."

There is a young man, I'd say late 20s to 30, who volunteered to be in this group.  He says he would hope other people who live near that company would also volunteer in order to stop the death of people.  He comes on CNN occasionally to tell how the process is working.  Today he said his group is ready for the next phase and eventually the virus will be put into his body to test the vaccine.

Can you imagine that?  What special people these are to offer their body to save others.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 01:07:45 am »
@PeteS in CA

You listed this company: "mRNA-1273/ Moderna: The Massachusetts-based biotech firm has got FDA fast track designation for this vaccine, already in clinical trials. ..."

There is a young man, I'd say late 20s to 30, who volunteered to be in this group.  He says he would hope other people who live near that company would also volunteer in order to stop the death of people.  He comes on CNN occasionally to tell how the process is working.  Today he said his group is ready for the next phase and eventually the virus will be put into his body to test the vaccine.

Can you imagine that?  What special people these are to offer their body to save others.

@Victoria33   Perhaps a silly question here -- but looking at his age; 20-30, if the vaccine works on someone that young, it would seem that there could be a possibility that he wouldn't be as negatively impacted by the virus as someone in their 60's or 70's???

They may come up with a vaccine, but there are 30 different strains of this virus ... I just don't see that there is going to be a vaccine that will immunize against all the strains out there.  Just like the flu -- the efficacy of the vaccine is hit or miss every year.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 12:49:19 pm »
@Victoria33   Perhaps a silly question here -- but looking at his age; 20-30, if the vaccine works on someone that young, it would seem that there could be a possibility that he wouldn't be as negatively impacted by the virus as someone in their 60's or 70's???

They may come up with a vaccine, but there are 30 different strains of this virus ... I just don't see that there is going to be a vaccine that will immunize against all the strains out there.  Just like the flu -- the efficacy of the vaccine is hit or miss every year.
@libertybele

Yes, they are using younger people so if the vaccine does not work, the person "likely" won't die from the virus.  I did not know there are 30 strains of this virus.  Can you tell me where to find this information?

I haven't had a flu shot since many years ago.  They make my arm swell, turn red and have fever in the arm.  One time I was given a tetanus shot and the same thing happened.  I was told never to have another one.  There is a newer pneumonia shot and my doc said I could have that one and he gave me the shot and I didn't have a problem.

I am allergic to iodine in any form.  Long time ago, in a hospital, they put a tiny amount of iodine under my skin on my right arm.  Later, nurse came by and looked at the spot.  She said, "I've never seen one like this before."  The iodine had eaten flesh down into my arm.  It was so deep it had to heal from the inside out.  I have a permanent scar there as the pigment was destroyed. I am totally allergic to fish from the sea due to their having iodine inside them - shrimp, clam, crab.  My skin turns red, I have chills for three days, and am nauseous those three days.  I have a special pill to take if I accidently eat something that has iodine in it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:58:47 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 02:44:43 pm »
Some recent historical context:

Pharmaceuticals company working with US government to develop vaccine: January 22, 2020, Moderna, https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/moderna-is-working-on-a-vaccine-for-chinas-deadly-coronavirus.html

Experimental vaccine submitted for testing: February 26, 2020, Moderna, https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/business/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html

Testing begins of Moderna's experimental coronavirus vaccine: March 16, 2020, at Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute, https://www.kpwashingtonresearch.org/news-and-events/recent-news/news-2020/kaiser-permanente-launches-coronavirus-vaccine-study-seattle

Moderna is not the only vaccine candidate the US government has partnered in. [political] Contrary to the Dems' and MSM's narrative, the US government under Trump was active early. E.G., the partnering with Moderna began just a day or two after China/WHO admitted human-human transmission had occurred. [/political]
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 02:54:15 pm »

If I am not mistaken, the phase I trials have more to do with safety than efficancy but many are being excellerated.

As for strains, there may be that many viruses in the coronavirus family in total (such as the ones that cause common colds) but only one SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). I beleive there are two substrains of this virus “L” and “S” but they’re very similar.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:08:43 pm »
If I am not mistaken, the phase I trials have more to do with safety than efficancy but many are being excellerated.   As for strains, there may be that many viruses in the coronavirus family in total (such as the ones that cause common colds) but only one SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). I beleive there are two substrains of this virus “L” and “S” but they’re very similar.
@Neverdul

Thanks for this information.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:53:09 am »
From the makers of Lucky Strike cigarettes, of all people...
Tobacco-Based Coronavirus Vaccine Poised for Human Tests
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-15/cigarette-maker-s-coronavirus-vaccine-poised-for-human-tests
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:56:24 pm »
The article linked above:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-15/cigarette-maker-s-coronavirus-vaccine-poised-for-human-tests

Tobacco-Based Coronavirus Vaccine Poised for Human Tests
By Corinne Gretler
May 15, 2020, 3:58 AM PDT Updated on May 15, 2020, 8:05 AM PDT
An experimental Covid-19 vaccine developed by cigarette maker British American Tobacco Plc is poised to begin testing in humans.

Pre-clinical tests of the vaccine showed a positive immune response, the London-based maker of Lucky Strike cigarettes said Friday in a statement. The first phase of human trials could begin as soon as late June if authorized by drug regulators, BAT said.
BAT subsidiary Kentucky BioProcessing uses tobacco plants in making the experimental vaccine, which is derived from the genetic sequence of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid. According to BAT, the method generates the vaccine faster than conventional approaches, reducing the time required from several months to about six weeks.

This is starting to feel like a script written by Rod Serling! IF safe & effective, that accelerated production time would be a major advantage.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 12:19:38 am »
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/05/29/Quest-for-COVID-19-vaccines-Where-they-stand/5111590522698/?sl=4&ur3=1

Quest for COVID-19 vaccines: Where they stand
ByDanielle Haynes
MAY 29, 2020 / 2:56 PM / UPDATED AT 1:34 PM (6/11?)
Moderna and NIAID

Moderna said on May 18 that a Phase I trial of its mRNa-1273 possible vaccine indicated a "potential to prevent" COVID-19. The vaccine succeeded in producing antibodies to attack the virus in all 45 test subjects in quantities "of the magnitude caused by natural infection."

It announced on June 11 that it plans to enter its third and final clinical stage of testing in July using 30,000 participants.
Johnson & Johnson

In late March, Johnson & Johnson said it identified a lead candidate for development for a vaccine and had planned to start human testing in September. But on June 10, the company announced the trials would begin earlier, in July.
BioNTech and Pfizer

Pfizer partnered with German company BioNTech in early May to administer a vaccine candidate known as BNT162 on human test subjects. Tests were carried out at New York University, the University of Maryland and Cincinnati Children's Hospital as part of a Phase I/II clinical trial.
Oxford University and AstraZeneca

Oxford Vaccine Group and the Jenner Institute have entered Phase I/II human trials for their potential vaccine AZD1222. Researchers are enrolling volunteers to test the vaccine, which is made from a weakened version of the adenovirus.
Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline

French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline partnered together in April to create an adjuvanted vaccine, a type of vaccine that requires a smaller amount of vaccine protein per dose, allowing more doses to be produced more quickly.
This vaccine is in the pre-clinical phase, but GSK announced May 28 that it plans to make 1 billion doses of a vaccine adjuvant system through 2021.

Merck and IAVI

This vaccine candidate, now in pre-clinical studies, is being designed and engineered by International AIDS Vaccine Initiative scientists. Merck will manage its regulatory approval process. It uses the same recombinant viral vectoring, or rVSV, technology as Merck's successful Ebola Zaire virus vaccine, Ervebo.

Merck is also working on two other vaccines -- one with biotechnology company Themis and another with Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.

Novavax

U.S. biotechnology company Novavax said Monday it's entered clinical trials for a potential vaccine called NVX‑CoV2373. Researchers began a combined Phase I/II preliminary immunogenicity and safety trial.

I omitted a couple of Chinese efforts since they might not be considered credible, given recent history.