Author Topic: Baltimore Restaurant Owner Can't Get Employees to Return Because They Make More in Unemployment  (Read 439 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Baltimore Restaurant Owner Can't Get Employees to Return Because They Make More in Unemployment
By Eddy Rodriguez On 5/13/20 at 2:17 PM EDT

A Baltimore restaurant owner said Tuesday that she can't get employees to return to work because they make more in unemployment benefits than in working for her business.

Melony Wagner, who owns Charles Village Pub in Baltimore, said her employees would prefer to continue collecting unemployment than come to work as they make more money staying home, according to a report by FOX 5 News.

"They don't want to [come back to work] and I don't really want a restaurant full of unhappy employees," Wagner told the tv station.

"They don't want to because it is less money. I am not even angry or upset with them. I understand. Why would you want to come back and actually work and make half as much money or two-thirds as much money – and you are working – as you can get to stay home," Wagner said. The restaurant is currently open for carry-out orders and has hired high school students to make deliveries.

more
https://www.newsweek.com/baltimore-restaurant-owner-cant-get-employees-return-because-they-make-more-unemployment-1503808
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EdinVA

You can still collect unemployment benefits after refusing a job offer, but only if the job being offered is not considered "suitable employment." A job with overly demanding physical requirements or too low of a wage (as compared to your physical condition or previous job experience) likely would not be considered suitable. But what about a job that is just slightly less desirable than what you would like, or one that requires a somewhat longer commute? In those situations, you may have to either accept the offer, or go without unemployment benefits.
https://employment.findlaw.com/losing-a-job/refuse-job-offer-collect-unemployment-insurance-ui-benefits.html

I think there may be some criminal proceedings in these peoples future.

Offline libertybele

I don't know about other states, but in the State of FL, you have to claim weeks that you were unemployed and you cannot refuse work.  You also have to list jobs that you have applied to; whether or not there is any follow up to verify that someone actually was looking for work, is doubtful. 

You cannot work and collect unemployment at the same time., unless you are only working part time and then you must report the hours and wages that you worked.

It is my understanding that an employer is supposed to report to 'unemployment' those people who are back to work and those who refused work.

It is understandable, given that people were given an "unemployment" extension which is  $600.00 week for 4 months, in addition to their unemployment that they don't want to go back to work if they are making less working, however, right is right and wrong is wrong.  Yes, collect the unemployment you are due for time missed because of your place of employment being shut down, but if they open back up, you best be ready and willing to work.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I could have made out quite well on unemployent, and no danger of anyone hiring even a well experienced wellsite geologist with a good reputation right now, because no one is drilling. I decided I'd rather work, even for less pay than unemployment would fork over. I'm betting that when things pick up, prospective employers or clients will note that in my favor.

But yes, I can see not wanting to give up the gravy train while it is there. in many States, that extra $600 roughly doubles the weekly take, translating to 5K a month. Not bad for 'get by money', at least until the taxman comes along...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

I could have made out quite well on unemployent, and no danger of anyone hiring even a well experienced wellsite geologist with a good reputation right now, because no one is drilling. I decided I'd rather work, even for less pay than unemployment would fork over. I'm betting that when things pick up, prospective employers or clients will note that in my favor.

But yes, I can see not wanting to give up the gravy train while it is there. in many States, that extra $600 roughly doubles the weekly take, translating to 5K a month. Not bad for 'get by money', at least until the taxman comes along...

Max. in FL is $275/wk....but with the extension for 4 months that's still $14,000.00, for not working; but you watch people are going to complain that they have to pay taxes!

Luckily next years taxes will be due after Trump is re-elected (hopefully).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:46:15 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

I don't know about Md. (or any other state for that matter) but in Texas waitstaff/bartenders are paid a base of $2.30 or there abouts. The bulk of their livelyhood is tips. So the combination of 25% occupancy requirements and people still not venturing out (unless your are 20 yrs old, 10 feet tall and bullet proof) means they don't make enough to buy gas to get to and from work.

Could they find other employment? Maybe. But this job market is tight and employers really don't want to hire someone that they know is not long term.

It's a very bad situation all the way around. Most of the servers I know make more than they get on unemployment. So, going back to work in the current climate is really not a good solution. They could make more digging around in the sofa for loose change.

Disclaimer: I don't normally advocate for staying on unemployment. But these are unusual times. I pray that all of this passes and people are able to go back to a normal existence.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
I don't know about Md. (or any other state for that matter) but in Texas waitstaff/bartenders are paid a base of $2.30 or there abouts. The bulk of their livelyhood is tips. So the combination of 25% occupancy requirements and people still not venturing out (unless your are 20 yrs old, 10 feet tall and bullet proof) means they don't make enough to buy gas to get to and from work.

Could they find other employment? Maybe. But this job market is tight and employers really don't want to hire someone that they know is not long term.

It's a very bad situation all the way around. Most of the servers I know make more than they get on unemployment. So, going back to work in the current climate is really not a good solution. They could make more digging around in the sofa for loose change.

Disclaimer: I don't normally advocate for staying on unemployment. But these are unusual times. I pray that all of this passes and people are able to go back to a normal existence.

From the Maryland Unemployment website:

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/uicovidfaqs.shtml

9. I get tips from customers on top of my regular wages. Will my tips be used to determine how much I will receive in benefits?

Employers regularly report (quarterly) the wages of their employees to the Division. These wages, including reported tips, are used as the basis for the calculation of the amount of benefits that a claimant is eligible for. If a tipped employee files a claim and receives a determination about their weekly benefit amount that they disagree with, they can request a review of the determination within 30 days. Along with the request for a review, the claimant can provide evidence of other wages that they have received, including unreported tips.

Of course we know that some waitstaff and bartenders don't alway report all their cash tips.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause